Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

The non-American thread.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 272 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2011 10:02:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2011 10:09:07 AM PST
Spartacus says:
You could make a very, very long list of prolific contemporary musicians starting with someone like Jan Garbarek or Albert Mangelsdorff, .

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2011 10:14:16 AM PST
Spartacus says:
NN

It's hard to find any strictly clarinet players of any nationality. Among those who do at least favor the instrument to some degree and who have a measure of popularity is Anat Cohen, an Israeli.

Dan

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 11:58:09 AM PST
Nikica Gilic says:
Well, I'm listening to a partly non-american double CD (and I don't think you'll find it on the internet, I'm not really sure if it is a commercial edition):
Double CD
Bosko Petrovic presents "John Lewis Live at the Royal Garden Jazz Club"
The personell is John Lewis (p); Bosko Petrovic (vb), Niels Henning-Oersted Pedersen (b), Martin Drew (dm)
It's recorded, apparently in 1995
and I've no idea where is this jazz club, but MC speaks German and there is a possibility that this is the name of the town:
"Waschmann-Mittschnitt"

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 12:46:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2011 9:22:22 AM PST
In case you have not caught up with her yet, check out Tessa Souter, British jazz vocalist now (sadly) living in NYC. She has three CDs out so far. A truly wonderful artist who must have an incredible career stretching in front of her. There is some stuff on U-tube so check that out before you go out and buy ALL of her current releases.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 7:48:32 PM PST
willm says:
Corea-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSKteR4TGA

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 9:45:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 10, 2011 4:06:01 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 11:50:30 AM PST
Nitya says:
Rainer Bruninghaus, best known as the pianist for Eberhard Weber and Jan Garbarek for about the last 40 years. has three solo albums that go in and out of print from the 80's that still sound current (all three are currently available). His fluid piano style comes from a classical background. His left hand is amazing.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 12:06:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2011 12:07:30 PM PST
Jerlaw,
I thought that when I stated the guidelines at the outset of this thread that my initial post made things quite clear but I see now you are absolutely correct and that there could be some cause for confusion. Essentially, what I meant was a thread about non-US musicians. They could be Canadian, European, Asian, African, Australasian, even from Figi, but I only know one of those in the whole wide world and I only know that because the musican in question is here in Egypt, Arabian whatever. Where they happen to take up residence doesn't matter. The notion in starting the thread was perhaps to try and learn about jazz in countries other than the US for the simple reason that the majority of contributors to these threads (I think) are living in the US and the focus has always been biased towards the US and US musicians.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 12:45:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 10, 2011 4:06:20 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 1:10:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2011 1:13:56 PM PST
Spartacus says:
JJ

Other than the fact that this guy is not American, is there any reason why I should prefer him to say, Ornette Coleman, Arthur Blythe, Kidd Jordan, Marshall Allen, Oliver Lake, Jemeel Moondoc, John Tchicai, Henry Threadgill, or Byard Lancaster?

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 4:40:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 10, 2011 4:06:38 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011 8:33:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2011 8:37:29 AM PST
Spartacus says:
JJ

I have heard Cafiso (recordings) and I didn't find him exceptional. I don't prefer him to any of the alto players I listed. I also prefer Cannonball Adderly, James Carter, Steve Coleman, Sonny Criss, Paul Desmond, Eric Dolphy, Lou Donaldson, Sonny Fortune, Gigi Gryce, John Handy, Joe Harriott, Lee Konitz, Charles Lloyd, Charlie Mariano, Jackie McLean, Roscoe Mitchell, James Moody, Oliver Nelson, Charlie Parker, Sonny Stitt, Sadao Watanabe, Frank Wess, Phil Woods, and John Zorn to this guy.

The idea is that I really have a problem with people making extravagant claims about musicians they like. I never use the "B" word (Best) and I think that people shouldn't turn a discussion into a competition between their favorite musicians and all others, which, in my opinion, shows a lack of respect for musicians in general, and is therefore inappropriate.

My own favorite alto player is Eric Dolphy. But let me point out that he is simply my favorite and probably most people would prefer someone else. And as long as they don't make exclusionary comparisons, I have no problem with them liking whoever they choose.

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011 9:42:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 10, 2011 4:07:03 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 12:41:23 PM PST
Dan, out of interest why are you listing American musicians on a thread specifically NOT about them? This thread is NOT about which American musicians you prefer to the musicans being mentioned. As I stated at outset and later clarified at Jerlaw's request, it is SOLELY about non-US musicians, SOLELY. Whether you like American musicans better is not something that we need to know about in this thread. Now, if you prefer another non-American musician, that is horse of a different colour. Please stick to the point of the thread. Thanks in anticipation.
Now, returning to the main thrust of the the thread, I am going to mention a great Israeli alto saxophonist whose name did appear in these threads way back in the dim and distant past. A stated anti-zionist and witty author as well as being a quite phenomenal jazz player, his name is Gilad Atzmon and his is blowing more alto, in my humble opinion, than anyone of any nationality right now. Yes, he is influenced by Bird but that is no bad thing. He's an incredibly exciting musician with some klezmer influences stitched on to his advanced Pakerisms creating a wholy original style. If I can, given, the uncertainty of all art, music and culture in Egypt right now, I am going to bring him in for the next Jazz Mania Festival in October. And, I'm only going to bring the very best from whatever continent or split my britches in the attempt. Catch him on U-Tube and be prepared to be blown away.Enjoy!

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 1:24:52 PM PST
Nitya says:
Uber guitarist Eivind Aarset from Norway. From his web site:

Eivind Aarset is a guitarist with a unique musical vision that absorbs and reflects all manner of music while retaining an enviable individualism and high quality craftsmanship that can span from quiet intimacy to searing intensity. His debut as a bandleader on Jazzland Recordings was described by the New York Times as "One of the best post-Miles electric jazz albums," setting a high benchmark that Aarset has consistently met and exceeded, both in the studio and in live performance.

As one of Norway's most in-demand guitarists, Eivind Aarset has worked with Bill Laswell, Dhafer Youssef, Jon Hassell, Jan Garbarek, Paolo Fresu, Marilyn Mazur, J.Peter Schwalm, Talvin Singh, and Andy Sheppard. He has worked with Nils Petter Molvaer's band, (appearing on all of Molvaer's albums, including the breakthrough album "Khmer" and 2006's award-winning "ER"). He also has collaborated with Dhafer Youssef, both live and in the studio.

Aarset's musical awakening happened when, at the age of 12, he heard Jimi Hendrix. "I started on the guitar as soon as I heard him," he recalls with a smile. "I bought a second hand Hendrix record and that was it. Then I started getting into rock bands like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Santana and Pink Floyd before my brother introduced me to the music of Miles Davis, the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report and Return to Forever. After a while, I got into the ECM sound of Jan Garbarek, and Terje Rypdal, who was a big influence. Then I went on the road with a fulltime heavy metal band, a fantastic experience, until I got tired of being angry every night! Then I quit and became a session musician."

Discography (solo albums):

* Électronique Noire (1998)
* Light Extracts (2001)
* Connected (2004)
* Sonic Codex (2007)
* Live Extracts (2010)

See: http://www.eivindaarset.com/

and

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 5:32:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2011 5:33:53 PM PST
Brian says:
Not sure if the music can be classified as jazz but I have 4 recordings by Toumani Diabate from Mali. He plays the Kora. His compositions are brilliant. Usually classified as world music but I hear elements of jazz music. I have not checked but would bet his music can be seen and heard on youtube.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 5:42:52 PM PST
What little I've heard of Diabate's music is fantastic (as far as what I own by him, I only have the "Mande Variations"); do you happen to have his collaboration with Roswell Rudd, "Malicool?" If so, what do you think of it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 4:59:55 AM PST
Brian says:
NUP:
I do not have "Malicool". It is available for listening from the Library. I put the recording on hold and will listen and review. I have Mande Variations, Boulevard de L' Independance,Djelika and New and Ancient Strings. I also have recordings in which Diabate joins with either Ali Farka Toure or Taj Mahal.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 9:36:09 AM PST
If only my local library was like yours. The two public libraries in the town in which I live (not a small one by any means) are, unfortunately, a joke...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011 5:17:14 PM PST
Brian says:
NUP:
I have listened to "Malicool". I am not sure what I think of the recording. Rudd's involvement lends a "circus" atmosphere, which for me, does not work so well. At least six songs are instrumentals(which is a good thing). Toumani Diabate is great. I would like to sound more positive about this recording. There are some really good moments but the recording lacks consistency.
The good news is All Music Guide gave the recording 4 1/2-5(out of 5) stars. Proving once again that music appreciation is subjective.
Your going to have to decide for yourself as I am not doing a good job reviewing the cd.
I would have no problem recommending any of the recordings listed in my previous post.
Brian

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011 5:54:07 PM PST
Brian:

Thanks for the commentary. (I think that) I know exactly what you mean by "circus" atmosphere, and that hardly makes for a recommendation for the title (at least for me). That said, given both your comments and what I once heard in-store at the time of the release of their second collaboration, I think that the records with Ali Farka Toure will probably prove to be the next titles that I will (eventually) acquire by Diabate. Thanks again for your reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 7:52:37 AM PST
Brian says:
Hi NUP:
Pandora radio is a good place to sample music before purchasing. Can type in the name of an artist (and I think the name of a recording, it has been awhile).
If not familiar, google "Pandora" and then set up your own "radio station".
Brian

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 9:28:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2011 9:36:12 AM PST
Daniel is right when he says that you could have long lists of musicians and he gives a couple of examples. However, in my humble opinion, lists don't tell you a fat lot and in fact can be quite a deterrant in respect of one further investigating a musican. I think a post about just one or two musicians giving info about a particular recording that one thinks might be of interest to one's colleagues on these threads is the way to go, at least for me. Ergo.
Perico Sambeat. A passionate alto sax player from Spain. Check out two CDs that he recorded with US musicans, "Friendship" with Brad Meldhau and "Jindungo" with Bruce Barth.
Alex von Schlippenbach, piano. Checkout two very different albums "Elf Bagatellen" with a quartet and "Berlin Contemporary Jazz Orchestra", obviously in a big band context. Both are brilliant albums.
Here's another Brit who was mentioned on the early thread on bari players but whose name hasn't been heard of latterly and that is veteran Joe Temperley. He's been resident in th US for mega years and is one of a very small group of what I term "first call" bari players. A very consistant and fluid improvisor. Get anything by him and you will not be disappointed.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 4:24:04 AM PST
Roberta Gambarini, Italian vocalist. I discovered her through this forum. Carmen McRea influenced, but her own woman.
And I have to plug some Australians, vocalist Janet Seidel, often records with brother David on bass. And how about Willy Qua formerly of Galapagas Duck, and George Golla, Australia's foremost jazz guitarist. New Zealand has a wonderful pianist, Bennie Gunn - don't knnpw if he's made a recording. I'm lucky enough to hear these ANZ musicians several times a year.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 1:43:54 PM PST
Yim says:
Elf Bagatellen is by the Schlippenbach Trio (A von S, Evan Parker, Paul Lovens), not quartet. Agree that it's excellent.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  272
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions