Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

The non-American thread.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 272 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 28, 2011 9:32:08 AM PST
Is Roberta Gambarini Italian? I have spoken to her and I thought she was Italian American. But, I am happy to be advised to the contrary. As for the other artists that you mention, D.S., I am going to explore them. Thanks for the informative post but it would be good for those of us who can't get to see these artists in person to know if there are any CDs out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 2:47:21 PM PST
According to Wikipedia Roberta Gambarini moved to the US in 1998. It's best to check the internet for information and CDs. I have a couple of Janet Seidel CDs which I enjoy very much. 'Little Jazz Bird' and 'Moon of Manakoora'. You can hear Doris Day and Blossom Dearie in her voice. George Golla has been around for a long time and made many recordings with Don Burrows (flute) and vocalists including Sharny Russell which I'm listening to on You Tube right now. Willie Qua recorded with Galapagus Duck (the Duck), but I don't think he has since leaving the group. He mostly plays alto sax, but also soprano and drums

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 2:51:32 PM PST
Vocalist Harumi Kaneko is Japanese but visits and records in the US. I'd never heard of her, but bought the CD 'I'm Walkin' because of the musicians: Ron Carter, Cedar Walton, Grady Tate and more. It's great, but I've sampled some others on the net and not liked them as much.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 1:48:54 AM PST
Okay! Thanks for all the extra info, D.S.
Peter Campbell.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 11:47:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2011 12:07:53 PM PST
As he has been resident in the US for several years now, I'm sure that many contributors to these threads would know his name if not his music. I'm talking of Latin pianist, Michael Camilo who hails from the Domenican Republic. He served his apprenticeship with people like Tito Puente and Paquito d'Rivera which cannot be bad. So far, I've only acquired one of his CDs, "On Fire" but I play it often and find more to enjoy each time. I've just ordered three more of his CDS via Amazon today!
Another name that I don't think has been mentioned on these threads is British tenor saxophonist, Steve Williamson. Something of a cult figure in British jazz circles, check out his "A waltz for Grace".

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 3:26:49 AM PST
My 1st post in the jazz forums, so Hello to all of you.
Some good non-american jazz players that I like:
-EST(Esbjorn Svensson Trio)
-Nick Bartsch
-John Surman- saxophone and bass clarinet player from England
-Avishai Cohen-israeli jazz bassist who played with Chick Corea
-Matias Eick-norwegian jazz player-trumpet, double bass,.I recommend his album-The Door(ECM release)
-Lars Danielsson-swedish bassist, I recommend his album Passodoble
to name just a few of my favourite jazz players

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 11:14:28 AM PST
Spartacus says:
ES

With that list, you'll fit right in. Wonder what you like in US players....

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 11:19:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2011 11:23:23 AM PST
Spartacus says:
A propos of nothing, I am one of these people who consider nationalism to be a relic of a barbaric age where humans waged wars with each other over issues like religion, skin color, who had how much oil or what so-called philosopher had what freaked-out notion of utopia, blah, blah, blah....

Are we going to have an Olympic sax blowing contest with gold medals and national anthems, and cheering crowds? Oh, this is tooooo painful!

Dan

PS What were the names of those Mongolians that recorded with Roswell Rudd?

PPS Mr PC Don't get wobbled by this post...I'll probably feel better in the morning.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 11:31:34 AM PST
From the US players I like Ben Webster, Stan Getz, Chet Baker, Oscar Peterson,Dave Brubeck, John Zorn, Bill Evans,Brad Mehldau,etc...etc.., but I see American and European jazz almost(at least the European jazz I listen to) as two different worlds

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 12:23:52 PM PST
Nitya says:
Edgar Sanilevich says: From the US players I like.....I see American and European jazz almost as two different worlds
=============
Your post is a curious twist on this thread topic. Which European players do you like? I agree " American and European jazz almost are two different worlds".

My favorite European jazz musicians are of the Nordic variety. Lots of good live music in Oslo and Amsterdam these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 2:03:54 PM PST
Nitya and Edgar say: " I agree " American and European jazz almost are two different worlds".'

I would also agree with "almost" being the key word. IMO the player of improvised oral music plays the sum total of his existence. Not only his day to day experiences but his environment and local culture are also key factors. If that is so than it is only natural that Europeans would play different from Americans but even within these demographics there are differences. I mean I see a difference from Nordic jazz and jazz from the Mediterranean basic as quite different in many ways. But the same happens in the US being the size that it is there is still a difference between the East and the West coast areas. Perhaps not to the degree of the 1950's but it still exists. Then there is Japan and Korea and China are soon to follow already with a decade of jazz festivals in both countries. It will be interesting to see what that turns into in the future.

That said: the differences in demographics and culture do not preclude these musicians from making a kind of "world jazz" when they play together. That is "world jazz' as opposed to the new genre of "world music".

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 1:15:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2011 1:19:05 PM PDT
This one's for Daniel especially as he's the biggest avant freak contributing to these threads. Mario Schiano, Italian avant, free jazz, alto sax player (now deceased). There is currently a rerelease of one of his recordings available through Dusty Groove but his original recordings are very scarce and received virtually no distribution in the US. Accordingly, few American jazz buffs know his work. a very underrated musician in my book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 2:18:37 PM PDT
D:O says:
For those interested in ELF BAGATELLEN, as well as many other releases on the German FMP label, please come by our official FMP download store -- http://destination-out.bandcamp.com. We are the exclusive source for a growing list of FMP releases, some of which have never been released on CD, and most of which feature the leading avant garde improvisers of Europe. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 2:33:22 PM PDT
Jerlaw says:
D:O
The last person who tried to sell recordings on this thread had her post deleted by Amazon. Just a word to the wise.
JJ

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 2:37:30 PM PDT
D:O says:
Yeah that sounds familiar. Such are the ways of the mighty river. That said, it's not as though we're taking away from Amzn; we're sole source for the stuff we have. But appreciate the heads up, JJ.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 3:13:07 PM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Since I deleted most of my posts, before deciding to come back to the discussion, I am assuming you mean jazz guitarist Ed Bickert. I would, before naming any more Canadian musicians like to say that I have dual citizenship with the U.S.
Now, I will name some Canadian jazz musicians:
(1) Diana Krall, who started as a jazz pianist, but got into singing quite by accident
(2)Ed Bickert, jazz guitarist who got his first big break with Paul Desmond. He was recommended to Desmond by Jim Hall
(3) Moe Koffman, known mostly for his "Swinging Shepherd Blues" but who also played flute, alto & tenor as well.
(4) Rob McConnell who is best known for his "Boss Brass" but is a first class trombonist who has done a number of recordings with Ed Bickert.
(5) Lennie Breau who needs no introduction as a jazz guitarist
(6) Oliver Gannon (jazz guitarist)
(7) Fraser MacPherson, who played with Oliver Gannon for many years.
(8) Ian McDougall (T.B.)
(9) Guido Basso, a trumpet player who I think is one of the best anywhere.
(10) Don Thompson, bass, who I would say ranks right up there with Ron Carter.
Many of these players have been underrated because they are Canadian, but considering the state of jazz in North America as a whole, jazz is in a healthier state in other countries. I am not just talking about Europe. In Japan, for example, which has less than 1/2 the population of the U.S., they buy a lot more jazz recordings than the U.S. I read a while ago that only 3% of recordings sold in the the U.S. are jazz recordings. It is a shame, because jazz is the only true art form that originated here. I had occassion to visit New Orleans in the 80s, & the only jazz group I could find on Boubon St.in the French Quarter was the "Dukes of Dixieland." Uptown I saw Stan Getz, but in the two weeks I was there, that was the extent of it.
JJ

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 3:17:44 PM PDT
Jerlaw says:
I guess it's all a matter of opinion Dan. He is only 22 years old, & to play with such maturity as he does, and as much confidence, is to me exceptional. One can only imagine him at 30.
JJ

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 1:37:30 AM PDT
For those patrons of the fine art of playing great jazz but who wish to widen their horizons beyond the US border, here's a few more musicians that you might like to check out:-
Frederik Noren "One Day in May" on the Mirrors label. Frederik leads a great hard bop band from Sweden. Invigorating stuff.
Another Swede, tenor saxophonist, Joakim Milder recorded a fine set. "Sister Maj's Blouse" also on the Mirrors label.
Also check out Austrian piano player, Wolfgang Muthspiel's "Perspective" backed by Marc Johnson and Paul Motian. Great!

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 1:49:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2011 2:29:26 AM PDT
A strangely underrated musician was South African tenor saxophonist and piano player, Bheki Mseleku. He played the piano with the sax across his lap when doing live gigs!A quite brilliant musician who died at quite a young age, probably from the effects of accute diabetes. He had managed to overcome the loss of the top joint of two fingers of his right hand from a gocarting accident as a young man. Also, he was diagnosed at one time as being bipolar. Alice Coltrane gave him the mouthpiece from the sax that John Coltrane had used when recording "A Love Supreme" but it was stolen during a burglary at Bheki's home. Check out "Star Seeding" on the Verve label.
It seems that tragedy is not that uncommon in South African jazz circles. In 2001, young piano star. Moses Molelekwa committed suicide by hanging himself after strangling his wife. He was just 27 years old. He recorded three CDs before his death which show him to be a young musician with great promise. "Genes and Spirits", his second CD, included international stars Flora Purim and Chucho Valdes and received quite a lot of air play in the US and in Europe. It's on the B. & W. label.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 11:45:20 AM PDT
Nitya says:
Billy Cobham recorded two albums in Norway in 1998: Nordic & Nordic Off Color with Bugge wesseltoft, kb; Tore Brunborg, reeds; Terje Gewalt, bass. Both are pretty amazing.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 2:12:54 PM PDT
I would recommend Robert Wyatt Gilad Atzmon Ros Stephen-From The Ghosts Within(2010)

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 5:59:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2011 6:10:24 AM PDT
There are lots of great jazz festivals spread right across Europe. One of those is in Porto, Portugal. In 2006, trombonist, Paulo Perfeito was commissioned by the festival de Jazz do Porto to write a piece to be played at the 26th festival, The outcome was the Bodi Suite. Later, it was recorded in a studio and a CD released. To get this great CD and gain some insight to the Portuguese jazz scene, you would have to go to Paulo's website at www.pauloperfeito.com.

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 6:22:35 AM PDT
Another very good festival is in Garana, Romania.This year they will have Avishai Cohen, Anouar Brahem, Hiromi and Mattias Eick

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 8:30:16 AM PDT
Another name worth to be listed here-Jacques Loussier famous for his Bach transcriptions/improvisations.
His 'Goldberg Variations" is one of my desert island albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 1:08:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2011 1:11:19 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Mr. PC

Quantitatively, many of the post in this area have been on the Avant Garde jazz thread since most of the foreign musicians fall into that category and also the American Expats. It's a matter of making a living and many of the most advanced players find it far easier to get gigs consistently outside of the US. To my knowledge, that thread has included posts from almost every country where jazz is played (including Mongolia!)

Recently you mentioned a group that included Egyptians and other nationals that were playing some sort of Hispanic (?) flavored jazz. Do you have any online links (Youtube?) that they have done (it's an intriguing cross-over, to say the least!) I think I recall your saying they were pretty good. That festival thing....jazz goes on revolution or no! Wow!

Dan

PS Does anyone still doubt that jazz has gone universal?!?!?!?!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  272
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions