Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

What's on Order?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 368 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 10:44:39 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
I've been thinking of filling in with some more Bill Dixon since every time I hear his name mentioned I start drooling at the thought of what's out there I may not have heard.

-Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 3:07:26 PM PDT
Edwardobop says:
Dan

Are you aware that Dixon was one of four featured musicians in the Canadian documentary Imagine the Sound (along with Cecil Taylor, Archie Shepp, and Paul Bley), 1981.

I was not until I searched the net for some hidden references just after he died.
Ed

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 8:04:46 PM PDT
Brutus,

While I am a huge fan of Jaki Byard, I found "Night Leaves" to be boring. It's a collection of tone poems (mood music) composed by Byard and Eyges. I'll listen to it again later, but the initial reaction was quite disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 10:00:43 PM PDT
RobbyJ says:
Hmm, must be boring. I can't imagine Jaki being anything but cool. He must've taken a step too far from his wheelhouse.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 10:53:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2010 11:08:02 PM PDT
Brian says:
Based on your past posts I believe I understand what you enjoy and do not enjoy. This heads up saved me a purchase.For "mood music" I already own my share (classical,jazz and world music). I am a fan of Byard and was hoping for a great review.
Thank you,
Brutus

If on a second or third listening, under the right circumstances , please don't hesitate to revise your assessment.Sometimes the music grows on you. I have had many recordings which at first listening held no opium in the music and upon subsequent listening the recording and or I changed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2010 8:11:32 AM PDT
Brutus and RobbyJ,

I listened to this a second time and have now put it away. I don't expect to have any reason to take it out and listen to it again.

I am disappointed as Jaki was not only a wonderful musician but also a marvelous human being. His tragic ending saddened us all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2010 1:17:19 PM PDT
Brian says:
Thanks Susan.

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 3:29:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2010 3:31:14 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
I blame you all for all of my recent purchases :-) especially Susan Ward! ok, here we go:

0- Duke Ellington: Three Suites
1- Duke Ellington: Afro-Bossa
2- Duke Ellington: Great Summit: The Master Takes
3- Duke Ellington: This One's for Blanton
4- Duke Ellington: Far East Suite
5- Duke Ellington: Complete Ellington Indigos
6- Duke Ellington: Blues in Orbit (Reis)
7- Duke Ellington: Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (Reis) (Dig)
8- Duke Ellington: And His Mother Called Him Bill
9- Duke Ellington: Such Sweet Thunder

ok, I'll post the rest later.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 4:50:38 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi Ahmad, do not worry,in five years time as you get to know them you will realize their worth and beauty.
as they say "Enjoy". two masters Ellington and Coltrane, on that one the feeling and beauty is almost tangible, for me anyway

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 8:52:14 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
And if Ahmad would like to branch off from there on a real adventure, he should pick up Gil Evans' Out Of The Cool, and Into The Hot. You haven't heard Evans until you have heard those!

-Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 8:54:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2010 8:54:51 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Ed

That documentary sounds tantalizing. Wish I knew where to pick up a copy (reasonably priced). Do you have it?

-Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 9:42:31 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Daniel! pleeeze!! . I only have two ears! (I ordered Evan's Wine Bottle, not sure of the name though).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 10:12:29 AM PDT
Dan,

Interestingly enough, Into The Hot is not an Evans recording, even though he appears on the cover and it was issued under his name. Half the tracks are by a band led by John Carisi and the other half are by a Cecil Taylor group. So, if you've only heard Into The Hot, you still haven't heard Evans.

On the other hand, Out Of The Cool is superb Evans music. I'd still prefer Gil's New Bottle/Old Wine if I had to choose (which, luckily, I don't).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 11:09:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2010 11:12:13 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Ahmad,

Out Of The Cool, and Into The Hot can truly be described as jazz symphonies-with never a dull moment. You won't have trouble getting endorsements on those two from others. You are really quite lucky. You struck a gold mine when you found this forum. I know this guy from England who came to jazz in his early thirties from rock and roll. In two years he picked up on what took me over 50 years to absorb (because I grew up with the music rather then discovering it all at once.

-Dan

PS The two albums above are so good I could literally listen to them all day without getting tired of them. How's that for an endorsement?

PPS You may only have two ears, but you have big ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 12:58:54 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Daniel, you Raskal! stop your recommendations (I listened to samples from your recommendtion of Evan's "Out of the Cool", and placed an order right away!

Ahmad

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 2:01:31 AM PDT
Yim says:
I recently wanted to get the Cecil Taylor tracks particularly and had to choose between Into The Hot and Mixed. The latter consists of the Cecil Taylor tracks from ITH plus the Roswell Rudd album 'Everywhere' (which has Giuseppe Logan on it). I went with Mixed. I now wonder what people think of the John Carisi tracks from ITH - any comments?

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 7:01:55 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Yim,

Into the Hot also made my Desert Island list. Carisi is one of those artists who got virtually no publicity at all, but he was a musician's musician.

_Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 12:40:10 PM PDT
Edwardobop says:
Dan

Sorry to say that I do not have the documentary. This link proves it existed in a new format during 2007 ....
http://www.amazon.ca/Imagine-Sound-Paul-Bley/dp/078002009X

.... and Wikipedia states that it was shown at a festival in 2008. It needs to be available. I'll do a bit more digging.

Ed

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 1:49:27 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Ed

Considering the players, that is a pretty historic documentary. You're absolutely right that it ought to be available. Thanks again.

-Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 2:32:10 PM PDT
I personally like the Carisi tracks on Into The Hot very much. Can't say the same for the Taylor tracks, but I'm very glad that I have the recording. I'm out of town and can't listen to the recording right now, but I recall that I really like "Angkor Wat" and "Moon Taj" is good as well. "Barry's Tune" is kind of a throwaway, however.

Note that Carisi was one of the composers on Miles Davis' "Birth of the Cool" recording, so he'd been around for a while writing great jazz.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 11:15:05 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Brutus says:

Hi Bryce:
When you respond to "dan" it remains me of a child using a magnifying glass on an ant hill. I only see your side of the postings but clearly you have a cynical streak. Before I canned hsi nonsense , I found nothing he had to say as "interesting". Usually his postings were about his perceived self importance or an attack based on his narrow minded value system.
I can appreciate your sense of humor but please keep in mind that you are throwing gasoline on a fire. If it suits your entertainment then have it. Personally I wish I did not have to see the the responses to his nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2010 1:57:46 AM PDT
Yim says:
Thanks for the responses re the John Carisi tracks on Into The Hot. I will look at getting that as well, although I might wait in the hope that it becomes available in some form other than the expensive Japanese import that is available at the moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2010 9:36:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2010 9:38:59 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Yim,

Have you tried emusic.com for Into The Hot?

Several years ago, I joined emusic for a time. I went through their entire jazz collection, cherry picking the best stuff there that I didn't have. In some cases when an album consisted of only 2-4 long tracks, I bought the entire album at a ridiculous low price. When I had gone through their entire collection, I cancelled my membership because it was no longer cost-effective. I think you would find there are items there that would please anyone on this forum. Also a lot of their stuff falls into the avant garde class, rather than being limited to mainstream oldies like most clubs are.

-Dan

PS Drop me an email and we can discuss this further. dmbtiger@gmail.com

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 2:36:13 PM PDT
Nitya says:
These are no longer "on order" since I received them last week:

Steve Tibbets - Natural Causes
Ketil Bjornstad - Remembrance
Terje Rypdal - Crime Scene
David Rothenberg, Marilyn Crispell - One Dark Night I Left My Silent House
Keith Jarrett - Yesterdays
Jan Garbarek - SART

All new releases except SART

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 6:02:49 PM PDT
Marc Copland - Stompin With Savoy -
Marc Copland - Both/And -
Enrico Pieranunzi - As Never Before -
Enrico Pieranunzi - Seaward -
Moncef Genoud - Aqua -
Tord Gustavsen - Being There
Joe LoCascio - Silent Motion -
Joe LoCascio - Home -
Dave Catney - Window of Light -
Dave Catney - Jade Visions -
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  368
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2010
Latest post:  7 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions