Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

The non-American thread.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 272 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 1:17:33 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Mr. PC

Anyone backed by Motian would have to be pretty damned good!

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 1:21:07 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Mr PC

I understand the problem with many of the European festivals is a lack of accommodations. Many of them are located in relatively small towns and there aren't many hotels, hostels, whatever available. So attendance gets automatically limited unless you are in or near a major city. That's really unfortunate!

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011 3:57:55 PM PDT
Dan,
In respect of European festivals having a lack of accommodation, I can tell you about those that I have attended. Marciac in S.W. France has virtually no commercially run accommodation but it attracts a lot of people who somehow find a bed with the local residents. Edinburgh has accommodation of all sorts, plenty of hotels, B & B's and hostels. Montreux has lots of expensive hotels. Bergamo, north of Milan, a beautiful small town in the foothills of the Alps has a reasonable amount of accommodation. Malta has plenty of accommodation, Brecon in Wales has very limited commercial accommodation but one can usually find a B.& B. though sometimes 10 miles or so out of town, The North Sea which is now held in Rotterdam is such a large festival that finding accommodation can be a problem. Those are about all that I have attended in Europe.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 4:13:30 PM PDT
Dan,
I think that the band you were referring to was Cocoon that appeared the recent Cairo jazz festival. That band is made up of mostly Egyptian musicians with Mitko from Bulgaria ( I don't know his second name) on trumpet, Victor Lyskov who I think is Russian on trombone and Aaron Jakes on alto sax. I don't know his nationality. They play Latin jazz but I don't know whether there is any downloadable music of theirs out there. Most of the E.European musicians here have full time jobs in the one or other of the symphony orchestras that have residencies at the Cairo Opera House. The other band that I mentioned that was at the festival was Calima, the Spanish band that played flamenco jazz. They are a 9 piece band, I think mostly Spanish but cannot be absolutely certain about that. They do have a CD out and there is some downloadable music out there so I am led to understand.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 10:55:19 AM PDT
Nitya says:
This morinings playlist form Sonic Universe on www.somafm.com:

Played At Artist - Song - Album - Country of origin
09:39:32 (Now) Beady Belle- Big Balloon -Cewbeagappic-Norway
09:32:54 Beanfield- Corso- Human Patterns-Germany
09:24:03 Core- The Shadow- Office Essentials-Norway
09:19:00 Marc Beacco- Papouchki Mamouchki- Crocodile Smile-France
09:12:35 Jori Hulkkonen- Nitewalking- The Spirits Inside Me-Finland
09:07:02 Tomasz Stanko Quintet- Etiuda Baletowa No.3- Dark Eyes-Poland
09:01:07 Chaser- Friends Like You- Game On!-Norway by way of Ibiza
08:52:42 Eivind Aarset- Entrance, U- Bahn- Electronique Noire-Norway
08:39:21 Tomasz Stanko Quartett- Song For Ania- Lontano-Poland
08:33:39 Jon Hassell -Flash Of The Spirit (Laughter)- Farafina / Flash Of The Spirit-JH from USA backed by African musicians
08:28:03 In The Country- How To Get Acquainted- This Was The Pace Of My Heartbeat-Norway
08:22:59 Miroslav Vitous- Carry On, No. 1- Journey's End-Czech
08:12:25 Zen Zadravec- Quest For Truth- Coming Of Age-Canada
08:04:44 Salvatore Bonafede, Enrico Rava- Reputation And Character- Journey To Donnafugata-Italy
08:00:07 Jaga Jazzist- Kitty Wu- The Stix-Norway
07:38:24 Rainer Bruninghaus- Radspuren- Freigeweht-Germany

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 12:26:39 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Nitya,

You're not going to do this every day? Are you?

Dan

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 12:54:59 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Hey Dan, this is the non american thread. Last time I checked I can post whatever I want. I am trying to spread my playlists around. I don't see anybody else posting the musicians I do. Please don't allow your SomaFM bias to cause you to criticize me personally. The least you could have done was add a smiley face to your post so I'd know you weren't coming down on me. Nobody reads this thread anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 1:23:00 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Nitya

Not a matter of bias. But if you do it daily, that's not merely posting-it's advertising. Of course, if that happens, I can always delete the thread from my list. Then I won't get the advertising email. Are you planning to post the list to other threads, as well?

Dan

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 1:27:46 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Dan, I don't answer to you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2011 6:46:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2011 6:47:30 AM PDT
Brian says:
NN & Dan:
Have not been spending much time in the music forums and should probably leave this alone. However, with all good intentions,not sure why there is an issue. NN, I enjoy seeing your listings. Many of the musicians are new to me and I enjoy looking up information regarding who, what and how they make music.
Dan, You enjoy a good adventure in music. Difficult to see how NN's listings can be considered offensive.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 8:48:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2011 8:49:31 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Brian,

I have no problem with an individual post. But if someone uses the forum for commercial purposes, to promote something like a broadcast station regularly, that borders on spamming. Aside from that, I have no problem with Nitya. He could, of course, post music without referencing it back to Soma. He plays the music he likes, and we all talk about what we like here. (Plus, he makes excellent contributions to the forum.)

Posted on May 2, 2011 11:39:17 AM PDT
Nitya says:
Spartacus says: if someone uses the forum for commercial purposes, to promote something like a broadcast station regularly. & He could, of course, post music without referencing it back to Soma
=============
OK I have removed all references to SomaFM and Sonic Universe in my lists. One point of order, though; SomaFM is NOT a commercial broadcast station. It is 100% listener supported. In the past when Jeff Gifford had his Sunday evening program on broadcast radio (still listener supported I believe) nobody gave him any gas about talking about what he played. Just sayin' is all.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 12:08:47 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Nitya,

You weren't doing a regular post, anyway. IMAO listener sponsored would still be spamming in the sense that you would be using the forum for advertising. Plus I was only talking hypothetically about your doing repeated listings-and you didn't. I never objected to your simply mentioning Soma occasionally, as you should already know. This whole thing got way out of hand. I suggest we drop it, because it would be better if we both just talked about music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 12:30:56 PM PDT
Let me use this to point out the fact that my old station and a lot of college radio is listener supported. College radio and spots like Nitya's on Soma are the only free form radio going. Radio not programmed under the same commercial constaints that exist in other parts of the dial and on the web. I sent my support in to my favorite station 2 weeks back. I suggest everyone else do the same and stop quibbling about the details. Nitya's talk has always been about the music first. Let's not for get that.

Posted on May 3, 2011 12:41:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2011 1:00:26 AM PDT
In my view, one of the most arresting players to emerge from the buoyant, Swedish jazz scene is tenor sax and clarinet player, Krista Andersson. With a muscular tone very reminiscent of Lucky Thompson, Krista is must have in my book and the sole CD that I have by him, "About Time" on the Flash Music label continues to give pleasure years after I bought it. Why haven't I bought more of him? Well, before the advent of Amazon, it was difficult to acquire stuff on foreign labels. Now, there is no excuse, I'm going straight away to Amazon to see if there is anything more by him 'cos the above CD is 18 years old!!
I checked! There are just five copies spread between two different recordings, one a live set. I guess that means his stuff sells, at least in Sweden. Well, I have ordered one of each so that just leaves 3 to be shared between you guys. Sorry about that but I'm afraid that it's devil take the hindmost and as Krista is my man, I feel entitled to grab up what there is! Okay, I know that I could have been kind to you and just bought one but, sometimes, life sucks and this is one of those times.

Posted on May 3, 2011 1:13:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2011 1:23:34 AM PDT
Edwardobop used to regularly sing the praises of British tenor saxophonist, Tim Garland, but I have seen him posting for a while.
Are you still out there, Edwardobop? I think KJH mentioned him once, briefly. But,in any case, Tim is a truly world class musician whose work demands much more attention from the jazz community.
Right now, there isn't much of his work available but one of his CDs has been remaindered and is up at around $2.50 for a new copy on Amazon. I have just ordered one copy but there's a few more left! Grab it whilst the grabbing is good.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 12:01:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2011 12:02:27 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Jeffery

Re listener sponsored radio.

"Radio not programmed under the same commercial constaints that exist in other parts of the dial and on the web."

I've listened to KJazz in La and WBGO in Newark-both major listener sponsored transmitters. The consensus of many people I have talked to is that such stations deliberately dumb down their programming so as to get a maximum in contributions. They play virtually no free jazz or avant garde. They come quite close at times to being smooth jazz stations. That attitude is about as self-serving as a commercial station. I for one see little difference. By contrast, the best jazz programing I have ever heard was on WKCR, Columbia University-while partially listener sponsored, they do not depend on it to a great extent, and program music impartially to represent every corner of the world of jazz.

Posted on May 3, 2011 8:10:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2011 8:22:24 PM PDT
willm says:
best fest-

http://www.fimav.qc.ca/en/

and

bill dixon's last - 'envoi'

listened to soma-was the station named after the muscle relaxer ?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 8:35:30 PM PDT
I guess I'm talking about the other other part of the dial and web. Isn't there AnY good Jazz back East? I can't believe a little cowtown like Durango, Colorado just a year ago had better Jazz programming ( where there were 2 shows, mine and one other on the college station that played a decent dollop of free stuff and a 3rd on the public Radio station that played pretty good mainstream stuff) than those cities and towns closer to the epicenter of Jazz = NYC.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 11:34:11 PM PDT
Nitya says:
whim says: listened to soma-was the station named after the muscle relaxer ?
==========
how long did you spend listening to each of the 20 separate web streams? your comment is ignorant.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 12:25:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2011 12:31:41 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Nitya (Whim)

Actually the name came from the South of Market neighborhood of San Francisco and Soma, "perfect pleasure drug" from Brave New World. Whim's guess was close. And you agreed that most of that music is not very listenable, except for yours. (I have listened to all the streams.) Compare that to Dixon!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 12:34:34 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
The bigger the listener supported station, the more money they need, the lower the quality, in general.

Posted on May 4, 2011 11:15:09 AM PDT
Nitya says:
RE: SOMA

SomaFM's offices used to be in the SOMA (South of Market St) section of SF. Soma is also the name of a drug imbibed in Huxley's "Brave New World" (righty-o Dan). The station's founder Rusty Hodge just liked the sound of SomaFM. I don't believe any of the musical directors at the station use the muscle relaxer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 11:21:46 AM PDT
Nitya says:
Spartacus says: And you agreed that most of that music is not very listenable
============
I hope that comment is not directed to me. Before I had my web stream on SomaFM I was a supporter with a monthly pledge and regularly listened to Groove Salad and Secret Agent.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 6:59:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 15, 2013 11:35:25 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To Right Now? Part II 9410 1 hour ago
Clark Terry RIP 6 3 days ago
Quotes by Jazz Musicians 30 6 days ago
Forgotten men of jazz. 658 7 days ago
What's on Order? 420 7 days ago
Never Heard Of Jazz Players 161 10 days ago
YouTubes 267 14 days ago
WHAT'S THE LAST JAZZ CONCERT / GIG (etc.) YOU WENT TO? 450 14 days ago
Avant Garde Jazz 2294 15 days ago
Desert Island Albums 650 17 days ago
best albums from ECM 45 17 days ago
Other than Goodman & Shaw, who impresses you on clarinet 94 18 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  272
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions