Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

What's on Order?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 429 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2010 7:00:58 PM PDT
John,

Looks like a great order. Let me know what you think of the Catney and LoCascio recordings when you get them. We knew them both and got to hear them often when we lived in Houston.

We're just back from several days in New York and trying to get everything straightened out here. Would very much like to meet you soon. Maybe on a Saturday or Sunday later this month. We'll let you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2010 11:01:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2010 5:56:32 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Some of my latest purchases of jazz records:

1- Carla Bley: Big Band Theory
2- Charlie Haden: Ballad of the Fallen
3- Gil Evans: Complete Pacific Sessions
4- Django Reinhardt: Absolutely Essential 3cd Collection
5- Jim Hall: These Rooms
6- Ken Vandermark: Target Or Flag
7- Chet Baker: Let's Get Lost
8- Jean 'Toots' Thielemans: Only Trust Your Heart
9- Steve Lacy/Mal Waldron: Bimhuis 1982
10- The Art Ensemble of Chicago: The Pathe Sessions (two albums in one set)

* The guest of honor: Lovely Day: The Very Best of Bill Withers (Chi)

Any Bill Withers fans here? what you think of his art? dated? classy? aging well.....?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 9:37:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2010 9:38:08 AM PDT
Edwardobop says:
Ahmad

What a great list of purchases. Good mix of styles and artists.
Bet you hate people recommending new things to buy but I have to suggest these two. For a gentle yet musically brilliant step into the slightly broader realms of jazz Marty Ehrlich's "Song" is just perfect (see my post at the What are you Listening to thread) Song.The second one is Joe Locke's "Storytelling" where you can hear a great version of Bill Wither's "Hello Like Before" sung by Mark Ledford (ex Pat Metheny) who sadly died very young just a few years ago. Storytelling ... or at the labels UK website www.siroccomusic.com

A youtube video of Locke and Ledford performing "Nature Boy" is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCnOdr6a5X0

Ed ( A big Bill Withers fan)

Posted on Aug 8, 2010 11:29:04 AM PDT
My last order/purchase (I actually have nothing currently on order; haven't bought anything in a couple of weeks, and I'm probably going to be taking it easy for a while as my music spending's been a little out of control): Barre Phillips "Mountainscapes" and Paul Bley/Gary Peacock/Tony Oxley/John Surman "In The Evenings Out There." Iffy on the first, as it pales in comparison to both The Trio's earlier work ("Mountainscapes" is basically a Trio recording), and Surman's subsequent experiments with the synthesizer for ECM. Still, not a bad recording by any means. Enjoy the second quite a bit, as all four players are in fantastic form, especially Peacock. Some of the greatest bass solos committed to tape, I'd say...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 12:14:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2010 12:16:06 PM PDT
Ahmad says:
Edwardobop,
I've placed an order of your recommendation of Ehrlich's "Song". Part of his sound reminds me of a duo album I own where John Zorn conducts a small ensemble, mostly hebron traditional tunes, with Zorn's twist. Its sort of fusion work: Bar Kokhba

Kiblenibbler,
Perhaps I should do lke you, just take it easy, stop buying, and listen to the piles of discs. The shelves are full, and lots of albums are finding their way to the kitchen. If I don't stop spending money on music, I'll probably end up eating liner notes and plastic cases!

Posted on Aug 8, 2010 3:23:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2010 3:26:40 PM PDT
willm says:
15387332: Kill Devil Hills* - Ex Kill Devil Hill (American Tapes) (7", S/Sided + CDr, Ltd) SOUNDHOLES

100. Shipped
25868596: Cardboard Sax - Cut Out Sax (American Tapes) (CDr,

Ltd) brianlavelle
15387282: Boy Department Boyz, The - Live At Sherman's March (American Tapes) (CDr, Ltd + 7", S/Sided, Pur) SO

Shipped
22504989: Martin Küchen - The Lie & The Orphanage (Mathka) (CD, Album) audiotong
New Order
23193703: Tony Buck / Cor Fuhler / Anna Zaradny - Lighton (Musica Genera) (CD, Album)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2010 1:58:20 AM PDT
Yim says:
kibblenibbler - if you like 'In the Evenings Out There' you may also like Adventure Playground (under John Surman's name), which is from the same sessions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2010 8:29:06 PM PDT
Yim: Surman aficionado that I am, I already own it. Great albums both, aren't they?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 1:20:15 AM PDT
Yim says:
kibblenibbler - yes, I agree that both are excellent - a great band. You also mentioned Barre Phillips - do you know Time Will Tell and Sankt Gerold by Paul Bley, Barre Bhillips and Evan Parker? I like those a lot too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:06:52 PM PDT
Yim: I already own "Sankt Gerold," and have been seriously thinking about getting "Time Will Tell" also.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2010 11:34:48 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Yim, Kibbkenibbler,

Both good choices.

-Dan

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 1:04:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2010 1:18:17 AM PDT
We Three: Rudy Van Gelder Remasters Series: Roy Haynes, Phineas Newborn, Paul Chambers.
Infinity - McCoy Tyner Trio w/Michael Brecker
Blues Twilight - Richard Boulger
Miles Davis - Collection: Sketches of Spain/Kind of Blue/In A Silent Way

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 12:55:03 PM PDT
Just submitted an Amazon.com order for the following (thanks to those who recommended the Hank Mobley and Eric Alexander selections):

"Stablemates" Eric Alexander/Lin Halliday

"Soul Station" Hank Mobley

"Lund 1975/Helsinki 1970" Bill Evans Trio

"Delicious & Delightful" Steve Turre

"Top Shelf" Warren Vache/John Allred

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 12:15:36 PM PDT
Simon says:
- "Jazz Concerto Grosso" - Phil Sunkel's Band (with guests Bob Brookmeyer & Gerry Mulligan).
Was really curious about that one after listening to "Tony Fruscella" (Atlantic, 1955), which I found to be an inspired album, arranged and composed by Phil Sunkel.

- "Our Thing" - Joe Henderson (with Kenny Dorham, Andrew Hill, Eddie Khan & Pete La Roca).

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 9:30:40 PM PDT
John Surman/Howard Moody "Rain on the Window." Last title I'm getting for a while, I think...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010 2:26:38 PM PDT
Ahmad says:
Latest order:
1- Roy Eldridge: Quadromania
2- Joe Lovano: Joyous Encounter
3- Brad Mehaldau: Art of Trio 2: Live at the Village Vanguard
4- Cootie Williams: Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me
5- Abbey Lincoln: Abbey Is Blue/It's Magic
6- Modern Jazz Quartet: Four Classic Albums
7- Magnificent Thad Jones (Reis)
8- Benny Carter: Further Definitions
9- Ken Vandermark: Simpatico
10- Warne Marsh: In Copenhagen

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010 2:34:24 PM PDT
Ahmad says:
Continue:
1- William Parker: Painter's Spring
2- Paul Desmond: FEELING BLUE
3- Clark Terry: Clark After Dark- Ballad
4- Billy Taylor: Ten Fingers, One Voice
5- 50 Big Band Classics
6- Gary Burton: Alone at Last
7- Red Garland: Groovy
8- Joe Pass: Chops
9- Marty Ehrlich: Song

Thank you all for your recommendations!

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 1:40:04 PM PDT
Bill Dixon "The Complete Remastered Recordings on Black Saint and Soul Note"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 5:52:46 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
K......

Now that's what I call music! Have the Wish List thread?

-Dan

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 8:18:12 AM PDT
stevign says:
Nothin'. No money these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 8:20:08 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Likewise, no money.

-Dan

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 2:46:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2010 3:04:02 PM PDT
I hear it as far as no money goes. While I've said/noted here before that this or that title was going to be the last thing that I was going to order, the Dixon set is definitely, without qualifications, it. Had I not become aware of it by accident (I am the sole primarily jazz listener in my small circle of friends; the bricks and mortar jazz shop that I go to for most of my purchases is owned by someone who, while carrying a relatively full jazz line, is not that up on the avant garde), I'd be continuing along with what I've been doing recently, which is going back and listening to titles that I've not listened to in years. It's amazing how different/interesting/refreshing things can sound with the passing of time and the change in one's ears and mind during that period. And, I get to save a little money. Still, at $40 aprox. from Amazon UK for 9+ hours of music, none of which I own (but which sounds amazing from the full-length samples on the CAM Jazz- current owners of the Black Saint/Soul Note catalogs- website), I couldn't pass it up...

Oh... Dan: I saw your list on the thread that you mentioned. I see that, indeed, many of the titles in the Dixon box are on it. Maybe this box is a way for you, too, of acquiring them? That said, one possible caveat for a collector might be that, from what I gather, the discs are housed in paper sleeves (which are further housed in a small box/slipcover), that are largely sans original liner notes/Dixon's original liner artwork, and there is no accompanying book or booklet. Still, at $40 or so...

PS: Here's the Amazon UK link for it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bill-Dixon-Complete-Remastered-Recordings/dp/B003XKDESO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1287179483&sr=1-1

They had two in stock yesterday, when I ordered (leaving one). Got notification that mine shipped; someone else has ordered the remaining one, and it looks like it's on back order now...

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 1:01:04 PM PST
For Musicians Only Dizzy Gillespie and co.

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 1:14:11 PM PST
Nitya says:
Way off topic but still on order: Band of Joy by Robert Plant

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 5:39:32 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Post No. 100,

I've just placed an order of Gerry Mulligan: Four Classic Albums
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  429
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2010
Latest post:  18 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions