Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

WHAT'S THE LAST JAZZ CONCERT / GIG (etc.) YOU WENT TO?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 548 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 25, 2011 10:09:18 PM PDT
M. Battle says:
The Billy Childs trio @ a park in Pasadena, CA

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 2:01:37 PM PDT
Well, M.Battle, that's what I call a bare bones post if ever there was one! iIt would be nice to have a few more details of the performance and to know what you thought!

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 3:37:58 PM PDT
R. Shepherd says:
Last concert was Newport Jazz Festival (newportjazzfest.net). I went both days. Been going for the last 9 years. The last set I saw this year was Rudresh Mahanthappa and Bunky Green doing their Apex album so I guess that was my last concert. My next two are seeing James Farm (Josh Redman, Aaron Parks, Matt Penman and Eric Harland) again in September and in December will be seeing Russ Johnson's Out to Lunch (Brad Jones, George Schuller, Myra Melford, Roy Nathanson, and Russ Johnson doing a tribute to Dolphy's classic album. I'm probably going to go to something in October/November but not sure what yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 2:07:52 PM PDT
re: Russ Johnson's Out to Lunch

That sounds like a potentially great band. Mostly, Myra Melford in the middle of things is the draw.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 2:19:36 PM PDT
R. Shepherd says:
Yeah, I am really looking forward to it especially since I am a big Dolphy fan. The place hosting it in New Haven, CT is awesome for anyone who is in the area (http://firehouse12.com/performance_space_calendar.asp). I mean $12/concert in a small concert space with great music is a little hard to beat.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 12:20:16 PM PDT
$12

Wow.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 9:07:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2011 9:08:36 AM PDT
R. Shepherd says:
Yup. I just figured out what my third concert is going to be... it's actually in December and not Oct./Nov. but I couldn't pass it up. Jimmy Cobb, Mike Stern, Sonny Fortune (who I've seen before) and Buster Williams at the Iridium in a Miles tribute band. I've been particularly looking forward to seeing Cobb who, as the last surviving musician on Kind of Blue, who played on Sketches of Spain, and who did drums on Coltrane's Naima is a legend in my book... not that the other 3 arent also great.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 3:59:11 PM PDT
Growing Up in Rhode Island, The 1960 Newport Jazz Festival was the quintessential jazz perfomance scene. I had Just graduated from the USMA -- My parents purchased two tickets for the concert. I drove my date & myself to Newport. Had to Park well away from the entrance, because of the crowds. We were within 50 feet of the ticket booths when the rioting broke out. What would take 15 minutes NOW to walk to where the car was parked, took us 4 Hours! The Newport City Police & The RI State Troopers had NO Idea or coordination of crowd control / traffic movement. I arrived at my date's home at 0730 the next morning! She & Her parents blamed me for the riots! Needless to say I Learned some life truths: 1) The State of Rhode Island should be designated as the National Enema Portal ; 2) NEVER go to another OUTdoor Concert & 3) Count my lucky stars, I didn't marry her! The Festival Moved to NewYork, a couple of years later.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 4:27:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2011 4:28:32 PM PDT
R. Shepherd says:
Haha yeah I heard it was absolute insanity before it moved to NY in 72. It's kind of funny when you compare the things i've read and heard about the festival '72 and earlier and how it's been since after it returned to Newport in '84. Before it was so hectic and chaotic but now, with the festival at Ford Adams, it is probably one of the most peaceful things I see/go to all year. It must have been particularly crazy in 1960 though since that was one of the riot years. Did you get to see anyone cool though at least? I think Ray Charles and Muddy Waters performed in 60 or am I mistaken?

Was that also the year Mingus staged the anti-Newport Jazz Festival Festival in Newport or was that 1961? I have the CD from that around somewhere and it's pretty good stuff.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 4:31:44 PM PDT
davernoise says:
Frode Gjierstad Trio with Paal Nilssen-Love and Jon Rune Strom in Chicago last night (August 31st).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 11:55:10 AM PDT
How was it David?

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 6:59:45 PM PDT
RTV IV with Zappa Plays Zappa in Denver... outstanding!

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 10:22:36 AM PDT
davernoise says:
Jeffery,
I always enjoy improvised sets, even when the musicians seem to struggle, as it's all part of the journey. It's almost like they have to purge at times to get to the source. This was the 1st time I've seen Frode live. I have a few of his cd's with William Parker & Hamid Drake. Paal I've seen several times in different formats and he is always a joy listen too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 12:20:53 PM PDT
David,

Cool. Think I know what you mean. Have to check his stuff out. Especially the stuff with William Parker and Hamid Drake.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 8:39:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2011 8:41:09 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
David F. Zuchowski

First time I believe I heard anything said exactly like that around here. Rather. many people hear the AG performances and complain that they don't meet their standards of what a highly polished performance should be-whatever that is. They need ears like Dean Benedetti when he listened to Parker. They don't understand that is exactly the kind of thing the October Revolution was all about The longer bebop dominated, the more boring it became, yet 60 years later, many fans here think jazz should go on in that mode forever. I don't want to know what the next note is before it is played. Dig that?

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 3:44:03 PM PDT
Hi, I went to a Jack Jones concert on 8/24/11 in Los Gatos, CA ("Jazz on the Plazz")! Jack was brilliant ( in both the English and the U.S. meaning) and a smash!

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 10:07:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2011 10:11:30 AM PDT
willm says:
Jason Kahn and Bryan Eubanks-no 'real' instruments so it probably wasn't 'jazz';no one brought a dictionary,either:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 3:27:01 PM PDT
Nikica Gilic says:
Well, what did they play then, Whim?

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 11:48:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2011 12:07:34 PM PST
Yim says:
For the last week or so I've been going to gigs at the London Jazz Festival.

Monday

Michel Portal, Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank Centre

Jason Yarde (as, ss)
Andrew McCormack (p)

A fairly brief support set compared to their set I saw recently in Birmingham (supporting Meadow then). Went down very well with the audience.

Michel Portal (bcl, as)
Ambrose Akinmusire (t)
Bojan Z (ky, p)
Scott Colley (b)
Nasheet Waits (d)

I got the new album (Bailador)in time to listen to it once and didn't get that into it. Loved the concert, though. I have seen Nasheet Waits a couple of times now and he really is wonderful (Jack Dejohnette is on the CD). Not sure why Lionel Loueke wasn't there (I think he was billed to appear). Anyway, this had a very loose feel - not tightly rehearsed at all. I think with players like these that helped. Michel Portal really seemed to enjoy himself.

Tuesday

Mori / Rothenberg / Noble, Cafe Oto
Ikue Mori (laptop)
Ned Rothenberg (bcl, cl, shakuhachi)
Steve Noble (d)

1st half consisted of a duo of Mori and Noble, then Rothenberg solo. 2nd half was the trio. It's fascinating to watch these guys improvise together. A good night - Rothenberg solo the highlight for me (predictably), but all excellent.

Wednesday

Gwilym Simcock solo, St James' Picadilly
Gwilym Simcock (p)

A very good size crowd for this free (as in costing no money to enter) concert. I, like many, couldn't actually see Gwilym or the piano from where I was. He has great technique and probably most resembles Keith Jarrett in style.

Nik Bärtsch's Ronin, Kings Place
Nik Bärtsch (p)
Sha (bcl, cbcl)
Björn Meyer (b)
Andi Pupato (percussion)
Kaspar Rast (d)

Hypnotic grooves. In some ways similar territory to the Necks (see Friday), but with less improvisation. Enjoyable, and again very well received by the crowd.

Thursday

Archie Shepp & Joachim Kuhn, Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank Centre

Empirical (ft. Robert Mitchell)
Nathaniel Facey (as)
Lewis Wright (vb)
Tom Farmer (b)
Shaney Forbes (d)
Robert Mitchell (p)

I've seen Empirical a few times (possibly 3), but always a different line-up. High quality stuff as usual, though.

Archie Shepp (ts, ss)
Joachim Kühn (p)

Superb. It was a tough choice between this and the duo of Charles Gayle and Han Bennink at the Vortex. The fact that I'd seen Gayle once before was probably the deciding factor. Shepp stuck to tenor most of the time and didn't sing at all. Great musicianship from both.

Friday

Duck Baker Trio, Cafe Consort, Royal Albert Hall
Duck Baker (g)
Alex Ward (cl)
Joe Williamson (b)

A free (again as in no cost!) lunchtime gig. I didn't know anything about Duck Baker and had only heard of Alex Ward from Whim. This trio is the more 'inside' side of their playing, and I think almost any jazz fan would enjoy. Versions of compositions by Monk and Herbie Nicholls alongside many of Duck Baker's originals.

The Necks, Bishopsgate Institute
Chris Abrahams (p)
Tony Buck (d)
Lloyd Swanton (b)

I love this band! 2 sets of heaven. The 2nd one probably slightly better than the 1st.

Saturday

Adventures in Sound, Front Room, South Bank Centre

An afternoon of free gigs (mainly in both senses this time). The line-ups are done from memory, as I couldn't find them listed on the web, but I think they are right.

Dave Kane's Rabbit Project
Simon Beddoe (t)
Simon Kaylor (ts)
Matthew Bourne (ky)
Chris Sharkey (g)
Dave Kane (b)
Joost Hendrickx (d)

A band who play regularly together (with the addition of Chris Sharkey), unlike some of the others this afternoon. Playing largely new music for an upcoming album. Bourne and Kane are 2 of the most promising young musicians in the UK for me (and the rest are pretty good too).

Fyfe Dangerfield (ky)
Mat Maneri (vla)
Paul Rogers (b)
Joost Hendricks (d)

One of the line-ups that had never played together (or possibly even met) before. Free-improv. I felt that Maneri was drowned out a bit by Rogers in the louder sections. Interesting, though.

Alex Ward (cl)
Robert Mitchell (p)

Excellent. Ward showing an incredible range of techniques. Both amazing musicians.

Paul Rogers (b)

I always like to see solo performances and this was a real treat. If you've never seen him, the instrument he uses is pretty interesting (custom built for him).

Mat Maneri (vla)
Chris Sharkey (g)
Corey Mwamba (vb)
Steve Noble (d)

Another line-up from scratch I think. This one worked a bit more for me than the earlier one with Maneri.

Robert Mitchell (p)
Corey Mwamba (vb)

These guys play together regularly. Starting with something by Schumann (I'm not sure what), and moving on to original compositions with plently of improvisation and extended techniques from Mwamba.

Chris Cundy (bcl)
Paul Rogers (b)
Dave Kane (b)

I didn't know anything about Chris Cundy and am glad I do now. Free improv of a very high quality.

Gannets
Alex Ward (cl)
Chris Cundy (bcl)
Fyfe Dangerfield (ky)
Dominic Lash (b)
Steve Noble (d)

I think these guys are a regular group and will be recording an album soon. If so, I will be getting it! Top quality stuff.

Jaak Sooaar (g)
Raymond MacDonald (as)

I only caught the latter part of this as I went out to get something to eat. I liked what I heard, though.

Henry Threadgill's Zooid, Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank Centre

John Escreet (p)

I like this guy a lot and really enjoyed this solo set. Echoes of Taylor, Crispell, Shipp and many more.

Henry Threadgill (as, f, af)
Liberty Ellman (g)
Christopher Hoffman (clo)
Jose Davilla (tba, tb)
Stomu Takeishi (b)
Elliot Kavee (d)

Sorry for the abundance of superlatives, but this was great. Takeishi was superb on the acoustic (though heavily amplified) bass guitar. Christopher Hoffman is a fantastic cellist. It all worked wonderfully well.

Sunday

Outhouse Ruhabi, The Clore Ballroom, South Bank Centre

Robin Fincker (ts)
Tom Challenger (ts)
Johnny Brierley (b)
Dave Smith (d)
Boubacar Camara (sabar drums)
Biran Seyne (sabar drums)
Mabiran Seyne (sabar drums)
Kaw Secka (sabar drums)
Leyti Faye (sabar drums)

A collaboration between the jazz band Outhouse and drummers from the Wolof tribe in Gambia & Senegal. A pleasure to see them again. I recommend their album (Ruhabi). And I also recommend the very different recent one with Hilmar Jensen (Straw, Sticks + Bricks).

F-ire Collective, The Clore Ballroom, South Bank Centre
(In memory of Richard Turner)

The line-up listing will not be so good for this afternnon's concerts as I couldn't easily find listings online and many of these musicians are new to me.

Fly Agaric
Francesc Marco (p)
Jiri Slavik (b)
Fred Thomas (d)
Zac Gvi (ts, cl)

Pleasant enough, but for me the least impressive of the afternoon's bands.

Porpoise Corpus

Pianist & bassist Dave O'Brien leading an impressive group.

Keyboard Kinship

Lots of keyboards. Some strange, spacey stuff, which I enjoyed.

Large Ensemble

Some under-rehearsed but enjoyable music featuring several musicians from bands that were on earlier.

Ornette Coleman, Royal Festival Hall, South Bank Centre
Ornette Coleman (as, t, vn)
Al MacDowell (b)
Tony Falanga (b)
Dernardo Coleman (d)

I'm not sure if it's just me but this band seemed more rhythmic, even danceable, than when I saw them last year. Ornette is in fine fettle, playing for over 90 mins straight (and he plays most of the time during the music). Al MacDowell and Tony Falanga are such good foils for him, especially MacDowell, who plays a lot in the higher registers of the bass guitar (a little like Steve Swallow, in a way) and plays a lot of couterpoint and some chords. Very loudly acclaimed by the audience, of course. Especially after an encore of Lonely Woman.

Quite a lot of this music (and other music from the festival) is being broadcast on BBC Radio 3. You can listen on the internet at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/categories/music/jazz_and_blues (but I'm not sure if you can outside the UK).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 7:31:16 PM PST
Thanks for posting that Yim. What a treat.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 4:16:43 PM PST
Nikica Gilic says:
Miro Kadoic trio (Miro Kadoic, alto-sax, Nikola Matošic, bass, Boris Beštak, drums)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 9:18:15 PM PST
Corey Mwamba says:
Hello! The Schumann was Traumerei. C.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 1:09:02 PM PST
Yim says:
Cool - thanks Corey.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 3:48:07 PM PST
Susan Blinn says:
Pittsburgh Pa just experienced one of the most exciting groups, playing here this weekend were Houston Person, Jimmy Owens, David Gibson, Norman Simmons, Christian Sands and Gerald Clayton, with Melba Joyce singing several of Billy Taylor's songs . . .it was an amazing concert, in a tribute to Billy Taylor. These magnificent musicians played in different groupings, truly an amazing afternoon! I wish they had recorded it! Did they?

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 11:40:05 PM PST
Ali Haluk says:
as part of his european tour pat metheny visited istanbul with lary grenadier on bass and bill stewart on drums... it was an amazing performance, especially the "reinvented" tune "question and answer" was beyond words... maybe epic!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To Right Now? Part III 1833 9 hours ago
New album alert 203 17 hours ago
Desert Island Albums 726 1 day ago
WHAT'S THE LAST JAZZ CONCERT / GIG (etc.) YOU WENT TO? 547 2 days ago
Avant Garde Jazz 2426 15 days ago
just discovered this forum today 9 28 days ago
Questions & Answers 42 28 days ago
Never Heard Of Jazz Players 181 May 18, 2016
New Avant Garde Jazz Musicians of the 21st Century 15 May 17, 2016
YouTubes 287 Mar 30, 2016
New Album "Episodes" 1 Mar 26, 2016
What's on Order? 461 Mar 8, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  76
Total posts:  548
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2008
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions