Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

WHAT'S THE LAST JAZZ CONCERT / GIG (etc.) YOU WENT TO?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 484 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 20, 2012 1:30:26 AM PST
Ali Haluk says:
it was a dark club night with joshua redman on saxes, reuben rogers on bass and gregory hutchinson on drums last saturday. they opened the session with "hutchiker's guide" written for hutchinson by redman and could be listened in "compass" album as well. peak of the gig was "zarafah" from the previous album and while redman is playing soprano he's more closer to the coltrane legacy i think. some of the new materials were also good but their performance was so "established" i think, that kind of music needs more "free improvisation and blowing"...

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 3:20:40 AM PST
E. T. says:
A few weeks ago I went to a great solo piano concert by Laszlo Gardony. Fortunately two of the tunes went up on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9xj22ud7ndg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zEh5xahD_0w

This weekend I am going to see the great drummer, Yoron Israel's "High Standards" quartet: Yoron Israel (drums), Lance Bryant (sax), Laszlo Gardony (piano) and John Lockwood (bass).

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 4:44:00 AM PST
Yesterday, we attended a "faculty recital concert" at Virginia Commonwealth University featuring the head of the jazz department there, Tony Garcia, on trombone. While much of the music was a bit pretentious, from an academic standpoint, the amazing thing was the talent displayed by an all star band of high school kids. Really enjoyable.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:33:16 AM PST
R. Shepherd says:
Last one was in December- Sonny Fortune, Buster Williams, Mike Stern and Jimmy Cobb at the Iridium in NYC. The next one is at the birdland in said city where I will be seeing Pharoah Sanders' quartet. I've heard he's tamed a lot as he has gotted older (shame as his 60's-70s stuff like Karma, Thembi, Jewels of Thought, Black Unity, Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchanidanda, etc. are amazing) but hopefully should still be pretty good; he's a living legend far too often overlooked.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:39:41 AM PST
the last was a DCI contest in Mesa AZ: all world class corps with The Academy as host.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 7:33:28 AM PST
Where can you se Kirk Lightsey, Jerry Gonzales, Henry Grimes, Andrew Lamb, Ronnie Cuber, and assorted Mizrahi, West African and Israeli musicians??????????
This where I am going this week:
http://www.midnighteast.com/mag/?p=17597 in Tel Aviv.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 7:46:26 AM PST
Be careful what you ask for when go see Pharoah. He may seemed to have mellowed but he has not lost any of his chops when it comes to blowing the horn inside out. He can still astound and combine the ferocious and the tame into an uncanny concert of great jazz. His song selections may include more ballads than decades ago but he still can attack on tenor.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 7:48:03 AM PST
Lucky guy. Long time no see Frank Alan. How you been?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 8:05:06 AM PST
R. Shepherd says:
Thanks. I hope you are right- his older stuff is amazing. The only "recent" album I have picked up of his was Message From Home back when I was in college and didn't find it to be his greatest work but I suppose it might just be an off album. I actually only rediscovered him fairly recently after re-listening to J. Coltrane's Ascension and hearing how insane Pharoah's solo in it is. He just has such a unique tone and way of playing

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 11:33:27 AM PST
Ms. 90 says:
Saw Pieces Of A Dream a few months ago.
Saw Robert Glasper last week.
Scheduled to see Kieko Matsui on Sunday.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 6:13:44 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 22, 2012 6:18:50 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 6:20:59 AM PST
I'm back and ready to share again in this amazing forum.

The opening evening of the 2012 Tel Aviv Jazz Festival was certainly an mixed bag. All concerts took place at the Cinematheque.

The largest crowd attended the concert by SF Bay Area chanteuse Mary Stallings, probably best known fora Fantasy label collaboration with Cal Tjader. I knew venues where I used to be able to see her in Berkeley 5 nights a week.

I opted out for something more adventuresome at the same time: a piano - soprano sax duet with Yuval Cohen.

Yuval plays sweetly and with great facility. I have seen him duet well with either Omer Klein or Shai Maestro in the past. The pianist, who shall go nameless,, got stronger as the night wore on but detracted more than he added to the duets. He will be back with Avishai Cohen on Friday. Hopefully, he gets over the jitters and contributes more completely to that set.

The real treat of the evening was the Henry Grimes Trio. Henry is the musical genius who contributed to such seminal 1960's recordings as the Steve Lacy/Roswell Rudd interpretations of Monk and the Roy Haynes/Roland Kirk "Out in the Afternoon" on Inpulse before disappearing for over 30 years. Ayler, Rollins, and Pharoah represent a short short list of his early collaborations.

The 76 year old Grimes brought his bass, a violin and his poems to this 2 hour set of avant garde music, as well as drummer Norman Taylor Baker and saxophonist Alexander Lamb. The Tel Aviv Jazz festival has had its share of avant garde music in the past: Israeli saxophonists Albert Beger and Assif Tsahar and Khalil Zhabar with Hamiett Bluiett. But this set transcended each of those forays into the avant garde.

Grimes' bass playing has muscularity and great depth which was used to interact with Baker's subtle brushes and Lamb's outside tenor playing. Grimes' violin was more sensitive yet enthralling as if he were constructing ragas with it, again with extraordinarily sensitive interactivity from the accompanists. They were hardly "side" men. During the evening, Lamb contributed on tenor, clarinet, flute and even chromatic harmonica. Baker played interludes on washboard and two short hat cymbals that were exceptional. The flute, bass, washboard portion was so together and moving: unforgettable.

Henry read three poems. The first addressed black heritage, the second mystical place(s) and the third was about "signs along the roadside" and referenced a female, probably the equally extraordinary Martha Grimes, his publicist and wife, an essential part of his post 2002 ascendance. In fact Martha rose from the front of the audience to announce cds and signings by the band in the lobby after the show when Henry, as midnight was approaching, appeared to insist on a third and final poem and more improvisation.

Each poem appeared to be a prequel to an exceptional piece of music that would follow. The last poem gave way to a definite blues styled piece. This piece represented the microcosm of what was going on here. Everytime it appeared that a song was reaching its desired conclusion, the combination of dexterity, interactivity and willingness to express oneself individually and collectively that is at the heart of this avant-garde music took hold... and the piece grew more wings, demonstrated greater energies by each player and the song flourished into more improvisation and more expression.

The audience had those for whom this music was too much. That happens But those who stayed were pleasantly entertained by the incredible skill and facility of this trio. This was billed as "Opus of Life. And that it was. In spades.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 6:35:59 AM PST
R. K. Hunter says:
Thanks for that review Frank, when i looked at the line up for the festival, the Henry Grimes set looked the one to see, glad you enjoyed it.Ray.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 2:46:13 PM PST
My apologies: Heres' the Errata to my Henry Grimes review:

Out of the Afternoon
Hamiet (one 't') Bluiett
Newman (not Norman) Taylor Baker
Andrew (not Alexander) Lamb
Margaret (not Martha) Grimes

I got carried away with my enthusiasm. These are the corrected names and spellings.

Night # 2 was a gas. I just got back to the hotel.

I sat next to Koby Israelite's father during his set and had to speak as much Hebrew as I could muster up. After his son played a Jewish prayer as the encore to end the set, his dad and I sang the Hebrew lyric to one another. How better can music enjoyment get?

What an incredible accordionist!

More later. Night night.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 5:04:00 AM PST
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi Frank, Hamiet Bluiett I would have gone to see.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 5:20:51 AM PST
inner exile says:
Jim Hall (guitar), Scott Colley (double bass), Joey Baron (drums) in April 2010.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 6:18:21 AM PST
R. Shepherd says:
Guess it is already time to add to my concert list- in addition to Pharoah in March, I will be seeing two groups in May (and maybe some others), The Mary Harlvorson Quintet (Ches Smith: drums; Jon Irabagon: alto sax; Jonathan Finlayson: trumpet; Mary Halvorson: guitar; Stephan Crump: bass) and the Darius Jones Quartet (Ches Smith: drums; Darius Jones: alto sax; Matt Mitchell: keyboards, piano; Trevor Dunn: bass). For anyone who has not heard of Jones, check out Big Gurl (Smell My Dream). This guy is the future of jazz sax- you can hear the influence of Bird, Ornette, Cannonball, Hodges and others who came before him on alto but he is also at the same time 100% his own sound. His version of A Train is particularly cool. I'm debating maybe going to some others of these- http://firehouse12.com/performance_space_calendar.asp as I love the venue (and ticket prices). It is probably the best place to listen to jazz music in Connecticut. Any recommendations on other dates to visit?

And then in August there's my annual trip to Newport. I love how Newport slowly leaks out who will be playing- so far its Ryan Trusdell's GIl Evans Centennial Project (unreleased Gil Evans compositions and arrangements), John Ellis

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 4:14:56 PM PST
Swampman says:
Ornette's concert at the Rose Theatre in NYC. One of the best concerts I have ever seen. Then Sonny Rollins NYC. Outstanding!

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 4:55:31 PM PST
On Valentine's Day, I got to see Kurt Elling's "Passion concert" in Chicago. Regina Carter, Anat Cohen & John McLean joined in--and of course, Laurence Hobgood on piano. It took concert going to new heights

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 1:29:02 PM PST
S. Finefrock says:
The last one I attended was the best one ever! I caught the Overtone Quartet at UNC-Chapel Hill. The Quartet consists of Dave Holland (bass), Chris Potter (Sax), Jason Moran (piano, Rhodes) and Eric Harland (drums), a virtual modern jazz supergroup. All are spectacular musicians, and they were all on the top of their game that evening. I was surprised when they said that they were going to be playing their final song and noticed that 90 minutes had passed. It seemed like 10. I was especially impressed by the drumming of Eric Harland, he was amazing. I've seen some top notch jazz shows in the past, but this one took it to a whole new level. I am thankful that UNC and Duke University are capable of bringing in top notch jazz talent to an area that otherwise is jazz challenged.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 2:46:09 AM PST
Ali Haluk says:
last night, brad mehldau trio (mehldau, grenadier, ballard) was here :) they've opened up the programme with a jimi hendrix cover, "hey joe". it was as good as their old covers in a range from radiohead and red hot chili peppers to paul simon and the beatles. nice, but if you're expecting something new, you could be frustrated. if i have not missed something, most of the selections are from their new album that will be released soon Ode... imo, nothing's special!..

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 8:31:17 AM PST
Keldog says:
Last weekend, we went to the Monterey Jazz Fest.
We really like Dixieland Jazz, and this was the best!

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 2:33:05 PM PDT
Ali Haluk says:
as we have witnessed last night, randy weston at the age of 86 is still so exciting in his live shows. his trio with alex blake on bass and neil clarke on african hand drumming set (or briefly percussion:) ) made us breathless for 90 minutes in a concert hall in istanbul. just a recommendation: follow his tour dates on his website and if it matches with your city don't jump the opportunity to listen and see him live... afro-american and blues roots on his beautiful originals like "little niles", "african cookbook" and especially the last jewel of his live set: "blue moses"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_yRQtH08Y0&feature=share

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 3:56:45 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
RW is a highly respected journeyman.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 4:08:02 PM PDT
The last concert that ! went to was this evening. For a break away from jazz, I went to see a solo performance of baroque violin playing and heard some amazing stuff from the young German female soloist. She played five written compositions and three totally improvised pieces also in the baroque style. She held the rapt attention of the audience for an hour and a quarter with the briefest of breaks to receive applause between tunes. That is some tour de force perhaps only matched by a jazz piano or Hammond B3 player.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  484
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2008
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions