Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

The non-American thread.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 272 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 9:12:46 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Dan
I'm listening to an album by Hans Ulrik called "Jazz & Mambo." It sounds kind of corny, but I can assure you it's nothing like that. A lot of the tunes are standards; i.e. Love is Here to stay;Invitation,Sweet Georgia Brown, Caravan, etc. Unless you are stuck on the A.G. & Free Form thing, I would give this guy a listen. He gave me the CD himself after we got to talking. We didn't gig together, but I was invited to the jam session after his gig was over. He has a beautiful tone on the clarinet, especially on "Moon River" He was playing with a quintet (guys you never heard of.) We in North america think that we have the best jazz musicians in the world, but when you hear some of these European, Scandinavian, Russian, Japanese & Australians, you are in for a big surprise. His guitarist & percussionist are also excellent as well. This guy could match Stit or Bird any day.
Jerry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 9:14:45 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Peter
See my post on Hans Ulrik.
Jerry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 9:33:56 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Dan
With my experience, I think I know an outstanding alto player when I hear one. He is outstanding, & I predict that by the time he reaches 30, he will be living in the U.S. & considered one of the greatest alto players around. I also play an alto sax when necessary. It is a Selmer left to me by my Dad. It is in pristine condition, & is a Mark 6, which is considered the greatest alto sax the French Company ever made. I have been offered $15,000 for it, but refuse to sell it.I did sell my Dads' tenor sax, also a Selmer for $4000. but not his Selmer ckarinet, which I also play.
Sorry to get off topic here, but old habits die hard.
Jerry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 9:47:21 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Nitya
Having spent quite a few years teaching at the U. of Washingto (I lived on Woodland Park Ave. within short waliking distance from the zoo) I recall the extraordinary character of the Norwegian people, & that the King of Norway visited every year. The Seattle Supersonics were coached then by Bill Russell. A friend of mine had seasons' tickets to the basketball games, & eventually Bill retired just outside Seattle, not Tacoma where the Seatac airport is, but between the 2 cities. I loved Seattle, except for the rain, but remember it fondly.
In fact, you could grow pot in your back yard, & as long as it was for your own use, the police never said a word. My fondness for Norwegians began when I worked for a summer on a Norwegian ship. I also visited Norway at that time. My Uncle was a Ship Chandler.
Jerry
P.S. This is the non-
American thread, & I am listening to Hans Ulrik. He plays sax & clarinet.

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 7:40:48 PM PDT
willm says:
There was an excellent online jazz mag that ended around '06 called , ONE FINAL NOTE.For some excellent articles in this vein , go back and read the UnAmerican Activities' columns.

http://www.onefinalnote.com/uaa/

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 8:34:45 PM PDT
whim to the rescue. Thanks.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 1:20:09 AM PDT
Whim,
I owe you a big thank you for your pointer to the "One Final Note" site and it's archived material. I had a quick scan of the articles and they look to be excellent. A great source for people wanting info on the scene in Europe during the years that the site operated. For anyone else wanting to improve their knowledge of the non-US scene, I endorse Whim's recommendation to this site. I'm already learning a lot. Thanks again, Whim.

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 2:50:48 PM PDT
Here is an interesting note on non-American jazz from southern Europe. The world famous jazz institute, the Berklee School of Boston, has opened it's first study center outside of the US. One would have thought that they would have started an overseas program in The UK, Germany or another northern European city or in Tokyo but they selected Valencia Spain as their first international branch. To people who know the music world in Spain this wont be a great surprise as Valencia is well known for not only the manufacture of musical instruments but is has been the center of music education in Spain for many years and it's conservatory has hosted international students of classical music for years. Valencia is also a hub of jazz in the Mediterranean.

"The campus in Valencia will be devoted to advancing contemporary music education and studying and applying leading-edge music technology and international music business models through a variety of programs that will range from short and intensive programs to masters degrees."

http://www.berklee.edu/valencia/

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 3:18:16 PM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Tomas;
That's my alma mater you're talking about. This news floors me.
Friend, Jerry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2011 3:53:11 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Nobody ever mentions Albert Beger!

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 6:15:47 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
I'm pretty sure nobody's ever mentioned Tatsu Aoki.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2011 6:39:05 PM PDT
I did a couple of times because he's local (Chicago). As well as playing with a lot of local players he has his own thing called "The Mayumi Project". He has also collaborated with San Francisco based AG saxophonist Francis Wong presenting the Chicago version of the Asian-American Jazz festival.

You can find his recorded work here:
http://www.chicagosound.com/

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 10:15:24 PM PDT
I recommend The Alboran Trio from Italy, they released a couple of albums on ACT label

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 12:02:14 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Edgar
I recommend an alto sax player named Francisco Cafiso. He is 22 yrs. old. He is a native of Victoria in Sicily's Ragusa province, & came here at age 14. Cafiso is now 22. His spirited tone is reminiscent of the great Sonny Stitt before he took up the tenor.

Last summer, he toured and performed across Europe with trumpeter Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. Marsalis took Cafiso under his wing.
Look him up on Amazon.
Friend, Jerry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 7:46:59 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Tomas
A guy named Kirk MacDonald is from my home town in Canada. We played together. He has quite a few albums out, but if you really like your hard bop this tenor sax man is your guy. I recommend "The Revellers." He composed 4 of the tumes on that album. We keep in touch, & exchange CDs when we make 'em.
Jerry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 8:52:55 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Peter
I probably mentioned him before. He is one of the greats in Jazz Guitar: Ed Bickert. The 2-CD set has an interesting story. It took 2 yrs. to complete, because his best friend Fraser MacPherson (Tenor Sax) died just after the first one was complete. The second CD wasn't made till a year later. It's called "The Guitar Mastery of Ed Bickert". Ed got his first big break (He's Canadian) when he was recommended to Paul Desmond by the great American jazz guitarist Jim Hall. Right now I'm listening to "Nica's Dream" a Horace Silver composition.
Jerry

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 9:54:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2011 9:55:25 AM PDT
Jerry,
I have at least one Ed Bickert LP but it's back in store in Britain so haven't seen it for 20 years!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 10:20:26 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Peter
I'm listening to Slaker Radio Plus which I subscribe to.The song is called "Loie" by Kenny Burrell.
On another note, we email each other but you still haven't told me what you're doing in Cairo! You keep forgetting. If you are retired you'd be back in the U.K. So what the heck are you doing there. Being Jewish, I doubt I'd be welcome in that country.....lol.....However, I do get to London now & then, & I'd love to meet you.
Jerry

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 1:37:03 PM PDT
I'm boracic lint, Jerry. So, I gotta keep working and saving my pennies for my dotage whenever that might be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 3:44:46 PM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Peter
Finally
Jerry

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 7:28:15 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Just so you will know, I am leaving the forum for reasons of my own & have stopped tracking all threads. I will take some time to think about it, at least a few weeks, but I belong to a pro jazz discussion forum where people are more interested in what you say, not who you are. In order to join you must have proper documentation & pay dues. If anyone wants to contact me, just click on my profile, & one of my email addresses is there. To those who supported me through thick & thin I say thank you kindly. To those who put a "NO" to everything I say without even bothering to read it I say nothing. To newbies who have their minds poisoned against me before they even know me, I say "Good luck" but be caredul about revealing too much about yourselves.
Jerry Dubinsky

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 8:55:38 AM PDT
If you are interested in forums and boards for performing musicians I can recommend two that I go to.

sax on the web http://forum.saxontheweb.net/content.php

This site as it says specializes in saxophone and reed players. It's a serious site with many known players contributing. There is more than just forms. But it is a great web-site to book mark and check out. Not all of the content is technical talk.

Another is
http://speakeasy.jazzcorner.com/

It is comparable to all about jazz. There is a section called "Ask the Musicians" where both trumpet player Dennis Gonzalez and French horn player Mark Taylor have Q&A pages. Also for players there is a forum on this site called; MUSICIAN RESOURCES. It is a very versatile web site worth looking at.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 10:55:18 AM PDT
Nitya says:
http://speakeasy.jazzcorner.com/ also has the only forum on the web (that I know of) with an active discussion of all things ECM. Steve Lake of ECM answers questions at Jazzcorner.com's Speakeasy > ECM RECORDS FORUM > Ask ECM. I am still waiting for his answer about the the new Terje Rypdal "Odyssey" box set.

Just received Karma by Tommy Smith (british reed player). Have not listened yet; will report back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 11:06:29 AM PDT
Nitya, Maybe I am not explaining myself well. The forum is divided into several boards dealing with different subjects is really what I meant. Most of the forums are jazz related but there is a political forum, a non-jazz music forum etc. Or maybe you consider the whole thing one forum and are using the world "board' to mean the different subject areas.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 11:21:07 AM PDT
Nitya says:
Tom, do not understand your response to my post. I have been posting on Jazzcorner.com's Speakeasy longer than I have been posting here. My last post was simply to point out the "ASK ECM" thread (mistakenly referred to as forum) on http://speakeasy.jazzcorner.com/ and the fact Steve Lake of ECM answers questions about all things ECM there. My post was meant to support yours. I should have said:

"http://speakeasy.jazzcorner.com/ also has the only "thread" on the web (that I know of) with an active discussion of all things ECM."
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  272
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions