Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

Forgotten men of jazz.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 693 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:00:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 1:37:02 AM PDT
I don't agree that "Transcendence" is necessarily the best example of Sonny's recorded work. I like "Manhattan Egos", "Backwoods Suite" & "Music from the Spheres" better, some of which feature his ex-wife, Barbara Donald, on trumpet, a very underrated artist. However, all his recordings are worth picking up. It's a great pity that there were long periods in his career when he ceased doing any recording at all. Certainly a major truth teller.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:22:28 PM PDT
What "became of" Barbara Donald?

What of the "forgotten ladies of jazz"? :(

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:54:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 2:59:24 PM PDT
BeBop says:
Another good Sonny Simmons is the Live in Paris date on Arhoolie. More accessible/inside than some of his other work. I had the privelege and please to jam with him a few times on the streets of San Francisco in the 80s. But he was much better "solo".

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 3:10:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 19, 2012 11:35:19 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 4:16:06 PM PDT
Talk about forgotten men of jazz. Trevor Koehler, a fantastic bari sax player who played with Gil Evans, first turned me on to Sonny Simmons. They played together, but unfortunately never recorded together. That would have been something. Koehler played with Evans between 1971 and 1974. I believe he committed suicide shortly after that - a tragic loss. He did things on the bari that I never heard anyone else do. Knew him in Minneapolis in the late 1960s.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:43:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 19, 2012 11:35:32 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:44:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 20, 2012 9:26:13 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:47:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 18, 2012 9:19:49 PM PDT]

Posted on May 18, 2012 8:59:39 PM PDT
@Bebop Man: re: "Who is Sonny Simmons? Don't you mean "Sonny Rollins?""

TUT TUT, ho ho, that's rich!
:)

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 9:02:21 PM PDT
Btw, Sonny Rollins came out with a new LIVE disc several months ago (on a major label, too).

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 9:14:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 19, 2012 11:36:08 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 9:27:19 PM PDT
@B-b Man: No offense, but that tells me nada I don't "awreddy" know...what happened to her after their partnership ended? Is she still active?

Good historical note: I was lucky enough to see John Hicks perform (w/ Billy Bang) once in NYC.

Bad historical note: ESP-disk avant-jazz singer PATTY WATERS did an in-store when I lived in San Francisco and...I had to work that evening and couldn't get to it. :(

Mixed historical note: I saw Simmons and Sunny Murray perform as a duo -- musically it was great but it was "marred" by Sunny Murray being a jerk.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 12:08:43 AM PDT
I don't think that are sufficient "forgotten" woman to justify a separate thread so y'all have to simply stick'em in this one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:16:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 19, 2012 11:36:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:19:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 20, 2012 9:26:35 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:21:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 21, 2012 7:02:40 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 11:34:27 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
The forgotten ladies of Jazz.....hmmmmm.....How about Carmen McRae

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 11:38:20 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 21, 2012 7:02:54 AM PDT]

Posted on May 19, 2012 3:19:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 4:09:10 PM PDT
I'm constantly puzzled as to why someone like me stuck out in the back of beyond (Egypt)
has to post about American musicians. It would seem to me that the US scene is very splintered and that the New Yorkers or Chicago contingents don't really know what's going on in L.A. or some of the other provincial cities. Just an observation. Accordingly, I'm going to mention one of the all time great alto sax players (in my view) from L.A., Lanny Morgan. Check out the albums, "Pacific Standard Time" & "The Lanny Morgan Quartet" and on YouTube. Lanny is also an integral part of Supersax and played with the re-incarnations of pop/punk/jazz group, Steely Dan. Hear him with those bands,too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 10:09:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 20, 2012 9:26:55 PM PDT]

Posted on May 20, 2012 1:42:02 AM PDT
Well, thanks, Jazz Guy, but in mitigation, the US is a rather large country so, perhaps, we can be forgiving if someone in New York doesn't know what the heck is going on in Pittsburgh, New Orleans of Cleveland?

Posted on May 20, 2012 8:48:48 AM PDT
Mr. P. Campbell,

You are obviously a person of strong opinions. Just because someone chooses not to share information with you does not mean that they are unaware. If I am in one place, and I do travel a great deal throughout the US, what difference does it make if I don't comment on something that may be happening in another place?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 10:44:37 AM PDT
I chose to comment in general (not specific) terms about the apparent lack of knowledge demonstrated by some in this forum in respect of what is going on musically in the US. This isn't the the first time that this lack of in depth knowledge has been apparent throughout the 5 years (or so) that I have been contributing to this forum. Part of the reason that I am here is to find out about what's happening and, historically, what did happen in the global jazz community in which the US plays a major part.
If you choose not to be a party to the dissemination of information for whatever reason, then I respect that. But, don't whinge at me if that lack of informative posts occasions people like me (and others) to come to the conclusion that the level of knowledge, overall, is pretty meager. Of course, there are many people in the forum who are extremely knowledgeable, undoubtedly walking jazz encyclopedias but if they, and you may be one of them, choose to keep their knowledge hidden under a bushel, then how the heck are we less than knowledgeable folk supposed to guage the knowledge levels? Pray explain that to me. So, I suggest that instead of pointing a finger at me, you point it in the direction of those in the forum (especially in respect of my last mentioned "forgotten men" post) who decided for whatever inexplicable reasons best known to themselves to hoard knowledge about that artist and, undoubtedly, many more, or is it a simple matter of lethargy or disinterest. Whatever the answer to that conundrum is (and I'm not really interested in knowing), I think that wasting time on this sort of petty criticism is all rather pointless. End of subject.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 10:59:38 AM PDT
I chose to comment in general (not specific) terms about the apparent lack of knowledge demonstrated by some in this forum in respect of what is going on musically in the US. This isn't the the first time that this lack of in depth knowledge has been apparent throughout the 5 years (or so) that I have been contributing to this forum. Part of the reason that I am here is to find out about what's happening and, historically, what did happen in the global jazz community in which the US plays a major part.
If you choose not to be a party to the dissemination of information for whatever reason, then I respect that. But, don't whinge at me if that lack of informative posts occasions people like me (and others) to come to the conclusion that the level of knowledge, overall, is pretty meager. Of course, there are many people in the forum who are extremely knowledgeable, undoubtedly walking jazz encyclopedias but if they, and you may be one of them, choose to keep their knowledge hidden under a bushel, then how the heck are we less than knowledgeable folk supposed to guage the knowledge levels? Pray explain that to me. So, I suggest that instead of pointing a finger at me, you point it in the direction of those in the forum (especially in respect of my last mentioned "forgotten men" post) who decided for whatever inexplicable reasons best known to themselves to hoard knowledge about that artist and, undoubtedly, many more, or is it a simple matter of lethargy or disinterest. Whatever the answer to that conundrum is (and I'm not really interested in knowing), I think that wasting time on this sort of petty criticism is all rather pointless. End of subject.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 11:25:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 20, 2012 9:27:30 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  693
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2011
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions