Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

The non-American thread.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 272 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 11:31:08 AM PDT
Nitya, Ah I see. I should have used the word "thread" instead of "board" or "forum". My mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 11:45:35 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 12:00:48 PM PDT
Good

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 12:08:01 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Jeff - I'd like to see our "JJ" pull his monkeyshines on the threads at "http://speakeasy.jazzcorner.com/". Those guys over there would not be nearly as tolerant as we have been. Lois Gilbert (the moderator) would ban him after his second outburst.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 12:41:46 PM PDT
You have mentioned that before Nitya. Not having an official moderator makes this forum a Wild West kind of thing at times. There is something to be said though for how this one works without an official High Judge / Sheriff kind of moderator. Less security from sociopathic honyocks and the like, but folks seem to range into all kinds of Jazz and Jazz topics like maybe wouldn't happen with the shadow of a moderator.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 12:43:34 PM PDT
Jerlaw says:
I'm leaving this forum nitwit. I have been on jazz corner for a long time now.

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 12:53:32 PM PDT
jJ,

Just go

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 1:44:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2011 1:46:30 PM PDT
Nitya says:
So leave already! Nobody will miss you. I am posting again because you said you were leaving. How can we miss you if you won't go away?

Edit - Jerlaw says:I have been on jazz corner for a long time now.

Another lie....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 2:58:49 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
How about sports? Duh!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 3:04:13 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
The wind whistles through the trees....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 3:09:25 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Let's hear it for anarchy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 3:19:27 PM PDT
They got that too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 6:41:42 PM PDT
watergal425 says:
"""however that one of my best friends there is Howard Alden, the famous jazz guitarist.""""

I am just replying to this post as I saw Howard Alden mentioned. I have enjoyed both his CD's he made with his wife, Terri Richards Alden, for years...."Love", and "Voice With A Heart"...great CDs. "Love" is their solo collaberation.

I'm not here to perpetuate the rifts, and am prepared to dodge all the rotten tomatoes that will come my way for this off-topic mention.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 8:49:13 PM PDT
I suggest you relax, please. I think you just got caught in the crossfire aimed at the controversial one. No sane person here wants you to go. And neither do all the rest of us.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2011 1:29:05 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
You couldn't have possibly known what was going on. You are not to blame for anything. You were simply trying to be friendly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2011 1:36:37 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Welcome. Stay and have fun.

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 2:53:03 AM PDT
A most unusual musician, a Brit, born in Cairo and now spending her time in several different countries. She has a son who is a pre-emminent jazz piano player in Switzerland. She had a long association with Dizzy and is currently preparing to publish a book of some of her memoirs. There are just two CDs of her work but both are hard to find. The first is "Emotions" upon which Von Freeman guests on some tracks seems to have diappeared entirly from Amazon. The second, she recorded with Tommy Flanagan. The LP that she did with Dizzy has never come out on CD. Her version of "A Night in Tunisia" sung in Arabic on "Emotions" stands head and shoulders above any other vocal version of the song. Arabic, incidentally, seems to be a great language for the interpretation of jazz songs at least when those songs are being sung by one of the most unsung jazz singers still plying her trade ("unsung jazz singers", that's my weak attempt at humour this Saturday morning). I'm talking about the great vocalist Lilian Terry.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:05:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2012 9:51:17 AM PST
I think that this thread seems to have somewhat died a death though, for the life of me, I don't know why. There must be hundreds of fine non-American musicians whose names have never yet been mentioned. My hope was that I wouldn't be alone (with a little support I hasten to add) in mentioning names that demand some recognition by the esteemed members of this forum. Anyway, in an attempt to kick some life back into this dead animal, I am going to mention an important name from the world of what is usually known as gypsy jazz though I prefer the French term "manouche" for this type of guitar playing.
Whilst Bireli Lagrene's prowess is well known, it seems that the true master of this genre amazingly hasn't even had one mention in these threads and that is German guitarist, Joscho Stephan. Dutch manouche player, Tim Kliphuis has had his name only briefly mentioned in passing but that is all. These list could be extended to include several others but, for the moment, I'm going to stop there. If you enjoy this highly stylized but important part of the jazz lexicon, check out these players. If you want to check out Joscho,there are some truly amazing clips of him on YouTube. Wanna see some amazing speed over the threats? Check him out and enjoy!!! In view of the interested responses to my my last manouche upload to my Facebook page, I'm just about to put up Joscho's version Minor Swing, Django's fine composition.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:42:15 AM PST
Some recent good non american jazz albums:
Tord Gustavsen - The Well
Malia - Black Orchid
from last year:
Kairos 4tet - Statement Of Intent
Kekko Fornarelli Cube - Room Of Mirrors
JHulian Lage - Gladwell
Marius Neset - Golden Xplosion
Marbin - Breaking The Cycle
RGG - One
Stephane Kerecki & John Taylor - Patience
Francois Couturier - Tarkowski Quartet

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 9:09:28 AM PST
Edgar,
Out of interest and given your list, where are you living?
Peter.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 9:46:23 AM PST
Romania

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 10:14:33 AM PST
Nitya says:
Here are a couple of Netherlands based groups:

Post Scriptum by Wolfert Brederode

Wolfert Brederode piano
Claudio Puntin clarinets
Mats Eilertsen double-bass
Samuel Rohrer drums

Mozaic by The Mirror Conspiracy

Mike Bindraban (fender rhodes, electric piano, synthesizer)
Nikos Paisopoulos (bass)
Patrick Verdonk (electric guitars, samples, ebow)
Esther Vroegindeweij (electric & acoustic violin)
Martijn Groen (drums, percussion)
Angelo Franzen (electric guitar)
Ghasem Batamuntu (soprano sax, flute, bass clarinet, poetry & percussion)

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 11:57:14 AM PST
Jeffrey M. says:
There are many excellent non-American musicians that deserve to be mentioned and heard. I'm not going to bore you with an encyclopedia, but I'll name a few.

UK - Joy Division, The Slits, Gang Of Four, Steel Pulse

Jamaica - Lee "Scratch" Perry, King Tubby, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh, Junior Murvin

Ivory Coast - Alpha Blondy

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 12:23:56 PM PST
Nitya says:
Hey Jeffrey M! I have a few:

Beatles
Rolling Stones
Kinks
Dave Clark 5

Oh wait, this is the 21st century and I am in a jazz forum...

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 12:25:22 PM PST
Jeffrey M. says:
And? There are very few non-American threads around, and this is a forum of music lovers, right?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  272
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions