Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

Miles Davis stamp

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2012 9:06:57 PM PDT
The United States Postal Service has issued a new stamp honoring Miles Davis. It's part of a joint issue with France. Each country has issued a sheet of stamps depicting two musical icons, one American and one French. The French star is singer Edith Piaf. The Miles Davis stamp shows Miles depicted by a famous black and white photo of him, the one from the Jack Johnson tribute album, taken by photographer David Gahr in 1970. It shows Miles in a full-length profile view. He's bent into a sort of S-shape and he's wearing light colored pants and a white "wife-beater" and playing his horn. The design shows the letters USA in the upper left corner, the word Forever (which means that the stamp will always pay the current first class rate no matter how much it goes up) in the lower right hand corner, and the name Miles Davis about a quarter of the way up from the bottom in light blue. The Edith Piaf stamp shows her standing in a spotlight against a dark curtain. The American ones are issued in sheets of 20 self-adhesive stamps, alternating between the Miles Davis one and the Edith Piaf one. Show your love of jazz by putting Miles Davis on your mail!

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 8:38:29 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
I think the Miles stamp should be the artwork from "On the Corner"!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 12:42:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 12:44:47 PM PDT
I'd prefer it to be the artwork to Live-Evil myself. Either the front or back cover would do. Love that Mati Klarwein.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 4:46:34 PM PDT
Steven King says:
No way. I will buy up some and save them as a collector's item. Miles is my favorite artist of all time. TGhanks for letting me know about this.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 7:50:53 AM PDT
Steven,
The Miles stamps will never become collector's item in your lifetime or your kids' for that matter. The are simply bits of coloured paper, printed by the million. By all means get some if you feel inclined as a Miles fan but don't expect them to accrue any value.
In fact, if you think about it, it's such a small nod in the direction of a great artist that it's almost insulting and it took such a long time after the death of Miles for the postal authorities, plus the involvement of the French, before even that small gesture was made.
There are definitely no bouquets being given to whomsoever was responsible for this issue from me.
But, hey, other than Duke and Monk who have streets named after them, the jazz community has been sadly short-changed over the years when it comes down to public acknowledgements of its achievements, so we are quite used to getting short shrift.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:57:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 8:57:41 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Isn't there some rule where they have to wait for a certain number of years after they are dead to do a stamp?

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 2:35:54 PM PDT
bluejim says:
At least he doesn't have his back to us.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jun 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions