Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

What Are You Listening To Right Now? Part II

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3926-3950 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 9:51:40 AM PDT
Ali,

Speaking of George Garzone. Have you heard this one with Matthias Lupri? - Shadow of the Vibe Really, really good.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 11:37:18 AM PDT
"Take It Or Leave It" by Gilad Atzmon, thanks to Peter Campbell I have discovered a very talented reed player hardly known on this side of the pond.

First I was really impressed with his clarinet playing. Not surprising, he was musically educated in Israel where tradition on the instrument has produced many fine clarinetists both classical and jazz, the latest being Anat Cohen. But on both alto saxophone and clarinet Atzmon's control is a cut above most.

His style is interesting. He plays evergreen standards and jazz standards on this album but he begins reinterpreting the melodies right out of the chute and he is masterful. Like his version of "Funny Valentine". It is but it isn't. The approach is very modern but not at all in the free jazz bag. A very good example of his melodic approach is the trio's version of "Our Love Is here To Stay".

His bass player, Val Manix is as interesting has Atzmon himself and just as technically able. The drummer is Sam Anstice Brown and all three are tight with great communication with each other and with, at least this listener.

Atzmon is an interesting personality who writes poetry, novels and political essays as well as being an anti-Zionist activist. One wonders where he finds the time to do all these things.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 12:10:04 PM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
An interesting player and writer I think.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 12:39:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 12:41:28 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Mozaic by The Mirror Conspiracy. Nice band from Rotterdam with trumpet, guitar, violin, kb, bass, percussion. Female violin player also has nice singing voice. Oddly enough I have another group with the almost same line-up (no trumpet but a DJ and two female vocalists) The Valence Project that do a killer version of "Who Do You Love".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 12:52:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 12:52:33 PM PDT
Mr. P says:
Rinsed this joint out several times daily for weeks now! And I still cant stop playin this sucka.....gets all up in your soul and dont let go......sweet sax and trumpet....its been on heavy rotation since I brought it home.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBASd1miEHc&ob=av2n

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 1:02:46 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Mr. P says: "Rinsed this joint out several times daily for weeks now! And I still cant stop playin this sucka.....gets all up in your soul and dont let go......sweet sax and trumpet....its been on heavy rotation since I brought it home....."
=================
are you 15 years old?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 3:01:36 PM PDT
re: Gregory Porter

Really good Mr. P . I'll be picking this up sometime soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 3:06:36 PM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Sorry jeff I'm with Nitya on this one.......

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 4:47:45 PM PDT
justin freed says:
Most are still unknown and under-appreciated? Not true. What do you mean by that?

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 8:08:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 8:10:10 PM PDT
willm says:
theendnoitisn't-TOM DJLL-TRUMPET $5 bucks!!! (best solo album of 2011)- http://djll.bandcamp.com/album/theendnoitisnt

+ OTHER GREAT STUFF FOR FREE!!!

Listen to some music by guys and dolls who're going out of their way to keep JAZZ ALIVE!!!

http://tomdjll.com/

Show just a little support ($)!!!

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 8:15:54 PM PDT
iliketurtles says:
see you on the other side - ozzy
from the album ozzmosis, 1995

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:25:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 12:27:00 AM PDT
Ali Haluk says:
thanx jeffery, matthias lupri is an unfamiliar name for me, i'll try to get and listen. for an other garzone surprise there's a nice and cheaper pick from naxos label: dejan terzic Dejan Terzic Quartet: Four For One

currently, yusef lateef Centaur & The Phoenix

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 1:45:56 AM PDT
Ali,

Thanks for the heads up on Dejan Terzic w/George Garzone. Regarding Matthias Lupri I also have WINDOW UP WINDOW DOWN but find something special in SHADOW OF THE VIBE.

I recently sprang for Louis Sclavis -L'Affrontement Des Pretendants on your recomendation. Am letting it sink in with a few good listens before I say anything more. Have thoroughly enjoyed it. Was just listening to some Louis Sclavis a few weeks back, thinking I need to get some of his stuff. Then read your review. Funny how those things work.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 1:58:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 11:13:00 AM PDT

That's OK Ray.

One of the things I dig about Gregory Porter is his music brings to mind a favorite artist of mine - Donny Hathaway. At the very least he treads some of the same ground that Donny Hathaway trod as an artist. He does it with the confidence of being his own man musically, one who isn't afraid to show something of his sources of inspiration, even as he displays his own voice at all times.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 4:40:30 AM PDT
an overlooked gem : Bennie Maupin Early Reflections. 5 stars for sure! Since its coming out, I had not listened to it that often. 5 years later, it's still refreshing and chiefly beautiful. A gem, I'm telling you :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 4:56:16 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Horace Silver & the Jazz Messengers

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 5:12:07 AM PDT
I'm listening to Charles Aznavour's "Jazznavour". No, he hasn't suddenly become a jazz singer.
This is a typical Aznavour album except that he has a backing band that on some tracks includes musicians like MIchel Petrucianni, Richard Galliano, Jacky Terrasson, Eddie Louiss & Phil Abraham. Diane Reeves duets with him on some tracks.
If you aren't into Aznavour, then you are missing out on one of the the greatest interpreters of a lyric that ever lived. But, Despite the accompanying band, I hasten to add that this CD isn't a jazz CD per se.
After the above, Ken Peplowski with a big band "Last Swing of the Century" in which he interprets the Benny Goodman band's repertoire.
After that, the extremely underrated Ralph Lalama's "Energy Fields" with a wonderful trio, John Hart on guitar, Rick Petrone on bass and Joe Corsello on drums. Magical stuff!
After that two CD by bass player, Peter Paulsen, the first "Tri-cycle" a trio outing and the second "Goes Without Saying" by a quintet with Chris Bacas on saxophones and Dave Ballou on trumpet and flugelhorn. Nothing superficial about Paulsen's music. It's thought provoking, often beautifully arranged and often very dark. Repays constant replays with continuing surprises.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 5:34:26 AM PDT
Mr. P says:
Nitya,

Mentally?...yup!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 5:37:21 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Sarcasm from 04/21/11.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 5:39:58 AM PDT
Mr. P says:
Jeffery,

Thats what I'm talkin bout. He's got flava. He's been influenced by the classics; yet has his own sound. Makes the classic sound fresh and relevant again.....and that aint easy. Classic yet timeless. As one critic put it....."this is how jazz should sound!"

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:00:40 AM PDT
Ali Haluk says:
regarding jja jazz awards 2012 list's "record of the year" nominees ( http://www.jjajazzawards.org/p/2012-nominees.html?m=1 ), i've purchased and listened only james farm and craig taborn (i love both though haven't penetrated enough to taborn's angels :) what about the others? i've placed an order today (mostly avant-gardes) before seeing that list, i could benefit maybe for the next one...

5) RECORD OF THE YEAR

James Farm (Nonesuch)
Keith Jarrett, Rio (ECM)
Christian McBride's Big Band, The Good Feeling (Mack Avenue Records)
Sonny Rollins, Road Shows, Vol. 2 (Doxy Records)
Wadada Leo Smith's Organic, Heart's Reflections (Cuneiform Records)
Craig Taborn, Avenging Angel (ECM)
Miguel Zenon, Alma Adentro - The Puerto Rican Songbook (Marsalis Music)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 7:36:21 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Rollins is Excellent 5 stars in my book, deserves to win when ever nominated for anything he is the greatest sax player alive today bar none. If you have never seen him live , even at this great age you have missed a jazz master.. If you get a chance do not miss him.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:37:06 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
John Coltrane live in 1965.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 8:31:32 AM PDT
Mr. P says:
When The Heart Emerges Glistening - Ambrose Akinmusire

When the Heart Emerges Glistening

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 9:37:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 9:38:03 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Yo' Mama!!!

Really! On Frank Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  256
Total posts:  9578
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2011
Latest post:  18 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions