Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums See All Deals Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

What Are You Listening To Right Now? Part II

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4726-4750 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:49:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 2:03:07 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Just decided to play a couple of the disc's in the Membran box "Charles Mingus, Mysteryious Blues". starting with disc nine, which contains the following tunes
"Ain't Jivin blues", from 1946
"All The things You Could Be By Now If Sigmund Freud's Wife Was Your Mother", from 1960,( one of the many Candid Recordings,spread throughout this box set)
"I'll Remember April", The Red Norvo, Tal Farlow and Mingus trio,
"Drum Conversation", by Max Roach, from the Massey Hall recording period of 1953.
"It's You or No One", by the JJ Johnson quartet in 1954.
"Little White Lies", The Red Norvo trio again from the 1950's
"Story of Love", Mingus writing for rare Big band recorded in 1949 and you can hear the germ of ideas and ways of composing for big band where Mingus throws everything in to get a big sound, the opposite of Miles and his "Cool " band of that same period.
"Sure Thing", an air check of Mingus with Bud Powell in 1953 probably from Massey Hall..
"What Is This Thing Called Love" A touch of Classical sounding Jazz as this lineup includes Jackson Wiley on Cello, and man often mentioned on these jazz forums for his later work as a producer on many a worthy jazz recording, Teo Macero on Tenor and on this track BASS sax.
"Vassarlean" another of the fine Candid recordings, a beautiful ballad with some great sounds from Eric Dolphy on Bass Clarinet.

When I first played this box through I thought it was a bit of a mish mash, but listening again on a newer cd player and possibly concentrating more this time, ( We have all done it, put something on and realised you did not seem to hear very much of it, the sounds just floated over your head as you read the paper or what ever)
The scope and depth of what is on this set is not as strange and bitty as you may think.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:51:31 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
It's been a pretty slow music day for me, deciding to listen to stuff I already played a couple of days ago, again. Robby Krieger's Cinematix...I like to pick up his stuff for that Doors guitar sound. This is one of his lesser efforts though. Black Uhuru's Positive, which is from that time when Junior Reid was in the group, between Michael Rose and Don Carlos eras. Still very, very good stuff.

And, George Duke's Muir Woods Suite...I have lots of Duke on vinyl and CD from all eras and styles, including early fusion, straightahead, Latin, blues, funk, R&B, some of the disco-ish stuff (not so great), and back to funk and straightahead. But, I must say, on my second listen, this may very well be my favorite George Duke album.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 2:13:59 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Ok, for those of you who might like cheese in your grits, instead of salt, you might not agree with this assessment: I think that the duet by Jimmy Smith and Art Blakey on "The Duel" (TT 10:24) from Feb of 1957, available on Jimmy Smith at the Organ, Vol. 2 is one of the most amazing jazz performances ever recorded. Art lays back most of the time and has a great solo about half way through, but Jimmy is just ALL OVER the organ on this like nobody else. Just incredible stuff. You can find it super-cheap at 8 Classic Albums 2 or Electrifyin', both of which I have. The "8 Classic Albums" set has 8 of the Feb'57 tracks, while "Electrifyin'" has all 21 tracks recorded at those sessions. Great, great stuff!

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 2:14:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 6:11:46 PM PDT
Brian says:
Light As A Feather

Early fusion music. Recorded in 1972, still sounds good when in the 1972 early fusion mood. This recording has held up well.

Edit: Though tolerable, would have held up better without the vocals.

The Eleventh Hour

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 2:36:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 2:38:35 PM PDT
These Membran sets are a nice way to acquire good chunks of various artists' discographies for very little $$. I wasn't interested in getting the Mingus box myself, as I already own most (all?) of the material on it, but I did acquire Mysterious Blues, which chronicles Monk's earliest works (his Blue Note stuff well-represented on here), and Djangology, which, to me at least, seems to be one of the most exhaustive collections of Reinhardt's music out there. As long as one has no problems with the complete lack of liner notes/only song titles being given, these sets are just fine.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 3:08:55 PM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi N U P, this might help with the Django box, as there are TWO out from Document. A Blue one and a Brown one. They give you over 350 of his recordings altogether.
Django Reinhardt' the first box consists of consecutive recordings which also were issuied on the History label with discografical breakdown on each jewel box sleeve. , C D 1 1937, C D 2 1937, C D 3 1937/1938, C D 4 1938/1939, C D 5 1939, C D 6 1939/1940, C D 7 1940, C D 8 1940/1041,C D 9 1941/1942, C D 10 1942/1943.

A good book to see or get hold of is " Jean ' Django ' Reinhardt ". A Bio-Discography by Paul Vernon,Published by Ashgate,in 2003. ISBN 0-7546-0694-5.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:44:41 PM PDT
Dave & Don Grusins' One Night Only. Just two steinways and beautiful interplay.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:18:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 7:40:35 PM PDT
Brian says:
Out of the Cool

Music for extra innings. Reds 5-Tigers 5. On to the 10th.

Edit:This one belongs to the Reds(6-5)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:23:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 8:37:37 PM PDT
Props to Sanborn (and Hal Willner, obviously) for "Night Music," though. The best music show that ever was on broadcast television, IMHO. Wonderful, surprising collaborations abounded. Take, for example, Nick Cave performing "Hey Joe" with Sanborn, Charlie Haden, Hiram Bullock, Don Alias and Toots Thielemans (and others):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7eiOsxzjKc

And dig Sanborn's hair :p

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:31:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 8:34:41 PM PDT
Brian:

"Barefooted Town" was the only thing that I listened to today. It got 2 more spins in the player. It's grown on me with each listen; to my ears, at least, this title seems like one that was mixed to be played loud. Or, at least it sounds better to me loud than it did at a lower volume. And better over speakers than through headphones. But definitely a more positive second and third impressions, that's for sure. Very strong through the first 4 cuts...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 9:06:47 PM PDT
Brian says:
nup:
Cool. Too many give up too soon. I have recordings that have not been played for a very long time that when I finally take another listen I cannot remember why I let them collect dust. As best I can figure it, music appreciation is fluid and moment/mood dependent. I do not listen through head phones but agree regarding the volume effect. I usually listen at medium to loud. It is a good thing when a recording sounds better with each listening.

Currently:
Dharma Days

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 1:11:01 AM PDT
Ali Haluk says:
good to hear more about david binney... i think he has developed an original compositional structure between m-base style of steve coleman/greg osby and more traditional straight ahaed blowing... plus, crescendos supported by vocal and guitar at the end of tunes are distinguished... always a strong rhythm section... i try to collect all of his works and imho, his best release up to date is South

now another pioneer alto player jackie mclean is talkin about freedom Let Freedom Ring with walter davis on piano, herbie lewis on bass and billy higgins on drums... wish to play "melody for melonae" someday :)

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 3:45:00 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
Miles Ahead with orchestra directed by GIL EVANS
"Miles Davis + 19"
Tune:The Duke"

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 6:50:11 AM PDT
Cosmic Scene A small group from the Duke Ellington Orchestra

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 7:24:49 AM PDT
RCB says:
A few days ago James mentioned WBJO and I tuned it in this morning. What a pleasant surprise !!!! their playing some real cool old school Soul music from the 60's and 70's....thankx again James.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 7:50:18 AM PDT
Miles Davis/Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings. A Mosaic set, some of the most beautiful music ever recorded. Includes "Miles Ahead," "Sketches Of Spain," "Porgy And Bess" and other later tracks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 8:22:50 AM PDT
You are totally welcome!

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 8:57:23 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
The Avid 2cd set of Charles Mingus, including "Blues and Roots"," Mingus Three" inc Hampton Hawes," Jazz Portraits" inc John Handy which I think was a very under rated Lp and "Jazzical Moods,Vol 1 ".

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 12:36:43 PM PDT
Brian says:
Visits Planet Earth / Intersteller Low Ways

Magical music. Sun Ra's music is not for everybody(only special people). He was an amazingly creative interplanetary musician.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 1:15:28 PM PDT
Brian says:
O'Neal's Porch

5 avant garde stars. Somehow avant garde music(O'Neal's Porch is great) while watching the Reds game (2nd of 3 against the Tigers) with the tv muted works like a charm.
Can't remember who but someone on here is a Tigers' fan. Verlander is pitching for Detroit. Probably a good day to be a Tigers fan.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 4:00:02 PM PDT
Finaly got my Ornette Coleman CD order The Shape of Jazz to Come and love it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RK said "," Jazz Portraits" inc John Handy which I think was a very under rated Lp"

Excellent live set - start to finish. "Nostalgia in Times Square" my fave track. Lotta swing and plenty of improv. So what's the difference between release "Mingus in Wonderland" and "Jazz in Portraits?"

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 4:17:59 PM PDT
nup,
Really enjoyed "Hey Joe". Sanborn was somethin' else, and all good. Wished he had gotten more time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going for Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue / An American in Paris after listening to Mingus's "Portraits" and the second track "I can't get started", a Gershwin number.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 4:36:15 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Make a Jazz Noise Here by Frank Zappa
Zappa's Big Band. We are lucky this is a live two disc set.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 4:36:21 PM PDT
Brian says:
Meets Bellson & Sullivan

Easing the suffering of the Reds losing to the Tigers 3-2.
Here is the AMG review(Only 3 stars. Needless to say I disagree and would rate the recording higher):
http://www.allmusic.com/album/incredible-hank-jones-meets-louis-bellson-amp-ira-sullivan-mw0000667172

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 4:52:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 4:55:24 PM PDT
UTI,

Glad you enjoyed it. A variety of clips from that program (never released on DVD, I believe) have been uploaded to YouTube. That said... "Jazz Portraits: Mingus in Wonderland," "Jazz Portraits" and "Wonderland" are all the same title, just titled differently each time issued/pressed. An underrated/under-recognized title in the Mingus discography, that's for sure. Fine music...

Today's listening? Earlier, it was Pastorius's The Birthday Concert [Live], which is worth it for the 17 minute rendition of "Invitation" alone, what with Brecker's and Mintzer's tenor flights on that cut. Now, prompted by Brian's listening to "O'Neal's Porch," I have slipped In Order To Survive into the changer. Definitely not background music/close listening is a must with this.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  258
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 8, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions