What Are You Listening To Right Now? Part II

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4926-4950 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:35:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 23, 2012 8:39:37 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:42:49 PM PDT
willm says:
Iron Path

Has Sonny Sharrock ever been mentioned on the jazz boredom,I mean forum ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 4:16:41 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Mantovani Orchestra :-( Singles Collection

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 5:22:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 2:46:30 PM PDT
Yim says:
According to a quick search Sonny Sharrock is mentioned in 88 posts and there is a thread with his name as the title. So, yes, he has been mentioned.

Just been listening to Urs Leimgruber's Solo: 13 Pieces for Saxophone. Superb.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 5:42:59 AM PDT
Hi Ahmad:
Mantovani ??!! Could anything be further removed from jazz? But who am I to talk. I have an eight volume vinyl Mantovani set I found in a used record store many years ago. And occasionally on a cold rainy Sunday afternoon while reading the papers, my lady and I will break out a disc or two. (I long ago burnt it to CD.)
JIM

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 5:45:11 AM PDT
Slide Show Gary Burton and Ralph Towner an ECM vinyl record from 1986

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:27:15 AM PDT
Martin says:
Anima Infinity New Version

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 7:57:23 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi Jim, Mantovani was a dance band leader before the 2nd World War and would have played the Pop/Jazz tunes of the day as did most British Dance Bands.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:07:03 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
"Not So Dukish" Johnny Hodges and Ben Webster turned up in the post yesterday, so getting back into Johnny Hodges with the Quadromaia box set again, and looking into Johnny Hodges and Wild Bill Davis recording, as any one here will know not a big organ fan( is there a better way to put that?) if it is a Hammond, so not quite sure which ones to go for first, Rca's or Verve's. Any suggestion's?.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:11:31 AM PDT
Greg Blunt says:
Cassandra Wilson's "Black Orpheus" (A Day in the Life of a Fool). Slightly irritating slide guitar which might have been tasty if it had been used more like Ry Cooder would've, more subtly. Hey who are those guys anyway, anybody know?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 9:07:47 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
James,
Mantovani not jazz?! just kidding :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 10:36:47 AM PDT
R.K.,

I am a huge Johnny Hodges fan, but don't really care for the organ, regardless of who is playing it. Hodges made several recordings under his own name in the 1960s. The ones with Wild Bill Davis are my least favorite, and I do own several of them. I would concentrate on the other recordings first (not knowing what you already have in your collection). Of the recordings with Davis, I prefer those that include Lawrence Brown on trombone, as I always considered him an excellent foil for Hodges.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 10:55:00 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Albert Ayler- Love Cry / The Last Album

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 11:18:46 AM PDT
Brian says:
Black Unity

All 5 stars

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 11:23:15 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi Susan D. Ward, I have an almost complete run of Johnny Hodges from the small group recordings and full band recordings of Ellington up to 1959/1960. So you think the Impulse and Verve stuff away from Wild Bill is more interesting? big help, thanks i will look into those recordings.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 12:14:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 12:15:28 PM PDT
When its time to cut loose with some Jazz. No, I'm not talking about listening to, I'm talking "cut loose" time.

More-so, a feeling of celebration. For whatever reason... Raring to start a new day, a great job promotion, your team just won the World Series, you met a new guy/girl, you're just feeling high...

There is one, quintessential number recorded in 1958 that almost always beckons me at that moment. It begins with the call of a bright trumpet and response of a wily tenor sax and repeats and repeats. Cannonball and Miles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kag0vqS8CU

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:35:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 12:35:32 PM PDT
Ayler sounds interesting. Anyone know of a good multi-packaged set with his early albums?

Ahmad, good see to you posting again. Find any really good performances while vacationing?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Listening to Todd Sickafoose album that arrived yesterday Tiny Resistors. Learned of this release from Jeffery Gifford quite a while back and just getting to it.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 1:10:22 PM PDT
Nitya says:
A2005 release Maarifa Street: Magic Realism, Vol. 2 by Jon Hassell, supposedly a follow up to Aka-Darbari-Java: Magic Realism from 1983. Both are incredible and like all of Hassell's work hold up over the years.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 1:51:48 PM PDT
Never thought I woud be listening to Brad Mehldau after hearing his solo pieces on an HDNet airing a few years ago. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. However, I was checking out an Aaron Parks album posted by Ali in the "Listening to" discussion and decided to click on the Mehldau album Ode link to hear him in Jazz trio. The rest is history.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nitya,

I think we can now say that Hassell's albums have held up "over the decades". Time flies.Maarifa is anothr album that I've been wanting to add to the collection. Get a chance to watch the movie I recommended? Skin I Live In.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 3:03:48 PM PDT
Ahmad says:
Hi Under,
Thank you. I got the chance to see some live classical and jazz in London. I enjoyed very much the Danilo Perez Trio at the Ronnie Scots in Soho.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 4:49:15 PM PDT
Nitya says:
UTI: The Skin I Live In is in my Netflix queue. Hope to have it shortly. Sounds kinda creepy.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 4:51:34 PM PDT
Now listening to a mix from several Miles Davis albums on the patio, accompanied by a looong, very fat Punch cigar and glass of J&B.

Love the beauty of computerized, networked music listening. Grab the little Acer Netbook, head to the patio where the outdoor speakers are waiting, and power AV Reciever and Music up. With just on little, cheapy Netbook, got the whole music collection on demand. Swipe a track from *this* album, swipe a track *that* one... Set the AV Receiver volume and enjoy. The glory of modern technology is something else.

Ahmad, never heard Danilo Perez trio. Have to check 'em out.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:07:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 9:12:53 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Roland Prince's infectiously groovy Song of Roland

Prince is an electric guitarist, but no fuzz or wah; just a straight, clean sound. It's really hard to classify this album. It retains a bit of the lyrical feel of Prince's 70's albums, but has a bit more flavor; he led only 2 in the '70's, and this is the only other one I've been able to find (date on the artwork says recorded in Antigua and released in 1998). Most of the instrumental tracks have sort of a easy, Caribbean jazz feel, with electric guitar, piano, electric bass, drums (one track with flute added). Steel drums would've fit nicely here, as well. "Wadadli Rainbow," "Key Changes," "Motivation," and "Whistling Mood" are standout instrumental tracks.

Prince plays guitar and piano on this. He also takes a couple vocals, one on "Willow Song," which most jazz listeners will find offputting as his voice has sort of a loungey quality to it. I like it, though. It makes me feel like I've walked into a club on the beach and a great live band was playing. There's Calypso Val, a female singer, on about half the tracks, who has much more of a traditional jazz approach...at least on these tracks. A few of these vocal tracks are actually very catchy and probably could've been radio hits at the time, including "Mr. Mystic," "Happily Ever After" and "Fantasy," which features a Sade-like vocal by Val and a reggae vocal by Wanski. To me, there's only one loser on the whole album, called "Long Overdue" that features both Roland and Val on vocals. I would also pass by "Moments to Notice"...a bit too old-timey for me. The last track, "Tailgating," is pretty much straight calypso.

So, after I wrote this, I see that earlier this month, Prince came out with a quintet album, which, from the samples, it seems both more contemp jazzy and less exotic; trumpet and tenor, as well. We will see.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:52:25 PM PDT
michel petrucciani....

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:39:47 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Sonny Fortune Sound Of Sounds (Live At E. J.'s, Atlanta)

Live all-acoustic, recorded in Georgia on 06/02/80. Two discs, nine tracks; average track length is about 12 minutes. Although the sound is not pristine, this is Sonny on fire on alto, soprano and flute, with piano/bass/drums.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  258
Total posts:  9763
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2011
Latest post:  12 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions