In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008 1:23:09 PM PDT
Mr. P says:
Like Fudge & Plums? It is what it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 8:09:45 AM PDT
Mr. P says:
Ballad of the Sad Young Men - Roberta Flack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuic_GIeOJI

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 8:24:31 AM PDT
"ballad..." was in the same play as "spring can hang you up the most". both are wonderful moving prose. good choice, Mr. C.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 9:13:25 AM PDT
Mr. P says:
James, tried to find Ella's version of "spring can hang you up the most" to post but not anywhere!!!

Have to leave you with Dr Nina Simone's....I Loves You Porgy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVZPd4rnNM&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 10:55:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2008 10:57:56 AM PDT
Mark says:
Blue in Green (Miles)
Alabama (Trane)
Circles (Miles)
'Round Midnight (Miles)
How Insensitive (Martino)
Wise One (Trane)
A Remark You Made (Shorter)
Lonely Woman (Metheny version of the Horace Silver tune, not the Ornette tune)
Farmer's Trust (Metheny - this tune can bring tears to my eyes, seriously)

I kind of like Miles, huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 11:48:29 AM PDT
Mr. P says:
Some sweet selctions here Talkin Wall....Yes you do like Miles and I know why.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoPL7BExSQU

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 12:11:01 PM PDT
Mr. P says:
You come with tender eyes
My welcome reprieve
My pleasant reprieve
It would be simple
To be seized away
By the heat of your smile
By the words that you say
What to do my love
With the passion you bring
With your sincere emotion
Such a fragile thing
Should I risk what is precious, my friend
For a fleeting indulgence
For a fated end
Skilled in the game of chance
I'm tempted
When you ask me to dance
But the urgency that is now your voice
Leaves me shaken and sober
Leaves me only one choice
On this bitter sweet night
I must tell you goodbye....

Goodbye - Dianne Reeves

[Press 2 play on virtual jukebox on the right]

http://www.last.fm/music/Dianne+Reeves/_/Goodbye

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 12:48:21 PM PDT
Mr. P says:
Effortless....

Angel Eyes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6vtHIXzF8

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 4:55:22 PM PDT
Mr C,

is there anything by ella that is not the best of show. i have a lot of ella when she did songbooks of major composers with joe pass by her side. any ballad on these cuts was moving.
hench

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 4:59:28 PM PDT
Mr. P says:
How to steal a song in 4mins 11 secs.....

The definitive version of Cry Me A River....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XggjVo3j-o

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 10:52:15 PM PDT
J. Michaud says:
"Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye (I Die A Little)" by Cole Porter as sung by Annie Lennox on the CP tribute album, "Red Hot +Blue". Her voice, that piano, those lyrics, that melody, major to minor, the lovely (accordian?) solo, just heart-breakingly beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 10:56:25 PM PDT
Mark says:
Nice stuff. That song was actually written by a dude and my band Ericson Taylor has taken it back and does a wonderful version. I love playing and singing Cry Me A River, I do a kind of Bobby Darin thing with it. We've got a nice harmon-muted trumpet solo in the intro and later in the tune. One of our best pieces. Our website just went up today but none of the links are working just yet. that is going to be one of the soundclips we put up on the site though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 11:01:33 PM PDT
Mark says:
Mr C Porter - yeah, I'd have to say Blue in Green is my all time favorite piece of music. It's what will be playing at my wake some day (hopefully many more years from now). I love playing this one on guitar. The chords are just exquisite!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 2:07:56 AM PDT
Mr. P says:
Talkin Wall, Blue in Green is one of my all time favorite joints. It too will be one of the peices of music being played at my wake.

Miles had been developing the Cool/Modal Jazz ballads [before the West Coast] on previous albums....but on Kind Of Blue he takes it to a whole new depth. Its late night/early morning Jazz that has become transendental.

Blue In Green has set the bench mark in this style of Jazz ballad...and has also been influential outside of the Jazz world....[Nick Mason admits that he rewrites Blue In Green a few times on Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 2:16:29 AM PDT
Mr. P says:
Written by Julie London's man I believe [for her]....and there is an anecdote by a musician I read once that went something like.....Julie and her man go into small exclusive club to hear Ella. Ella sees she is in the audience so does Cry Me A River. Club is transfixed & goes cathedral quiet......then crazy when Ella finished singing. Julie overheard saying to husband....she just stole my song. And leaves club.

Let us know when your website up and running!!!

Peace

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 6:31:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2008 12:39:13 PM PDT
Mark says:
Mr Porter: You probably meant either Richard Wright or Dave Gilmore with your Pink Floyd reference. Once upon a time I had a nice email exchange with Ian McDonald, the guy who wrote most of the music on In the Court of the Crimson King and that correspondence began because of a forum post I made about the deceptively complex harmonic structure of Blue in Green. The post was relayed to McDonald via a composer friend and he wrote back to me. He also admitted that ITCOTCK was much inspired by Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch!" album (you can hear B Hutcherson's vibe style all over McDonald's vibes on the track Moonchild)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 6:41:11 AM PDT
stevign says:
Mr.C:

I up-dated my copy of "Kind of Blue" to a gorgeous sounding and smart format. It's a dual disc with CD side and a DVD side and comments from different people like Hancock, Cosby, Jackie McLean ect. about the making of the album as well as the effect of the album when it came out.

For those not familiar with the format: http://www.elusivedisc.com/sonydualdisc.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 6:48:47 AM PDT
stevign says:
TW:

Loved the album "McDonald and Giles". Just re-bought it in CD format.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 4:50:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2008 4:56:24 PM PDT
Talking Wall & Mr. C.Porter,

On a different string we agreed.; we think alike regarding Miles.
Blue on Green
'Round Midnight
Old Folks

How about Dexter Gordon?:
You've Changed
Don't Explain (and of course, Billie Holliday)

Johnny Hartman:
Lush Life

Mel Torme: "The velvet Fog"....a handle he hated, so I hear, but he never could shake it...For me, it works.
Guess I'll hang My Tears Out To Dry
Every Time We Say Goodbye

Now I'm going to get nostalgic on y'all:
Anybody recall Blossom Dearie?:
In Love Again
This tune gets me all sloppy in love again. In fact I am in love with Blossom Dearie again.
She had that sweet little girl voice. That concept could sound a bit irritating unless you've heard her. An Amazon reviewer described it as "innocent sexuality". Well, OK. But really, her voice is beyond description. And her phrasing....Mm, mm, Mm! Miles dug her. Not only is her name about the hippest I've ever heard, but the woman herself is very, v-e-r-y hip! Plays great piano, too.

Now I'm going to get maudlin soppy on ya. The voice with the built in sob...(and I'm not light on my toes...Honest)!
Judy Garland:
The man that got Away
Somewhere Over The Rainbow

And then there was Bill Evans...the GREAT Bill Evans:
My Foolish Heart

Have I forgotten any? Oh yes, I almost forgot..... a million more!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 5:10:43 PM PDT
Mark says:
Tony - A few years back I heard an outtake on NPR of Judy Garland singing Over the Rainbow and I damn near started bawling my eyes out. It was one of the most emotional performances I've ever heard from a singer and it really stuck in my head.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 6:06:02 PM PDT
Oh yeah!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 6:37:20 PM PDT
G. Dubinsky says:
"It Never Entered My Mind" Miles & Bill Evans
"I Remember Clifford" Benny Golson.
"My One & Only Love" Coltrane
"In a Sentimental Mood" Coltrane & Ellington
"Soul Eyes" Getz

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 10:51:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2008 10:53:27 AM PDT
I am bumping this "Ballads" string to the top because there are millions more to discuss:
How about "If you could see me now"? Pretty, performed by many. I know that Phil Woods recorded it but I can't find it.

Anybody like Blossom Dearie? I talked about her a few posts ago.

Who was it who sang "Guess Who I Saw Today"? I think Nancy Wilson did it. What a great tune and lyrics. A real "gotcha!" for the poor hapless cheater she busted. Kind of a slow death as opposed to going ballistic. Very fitting.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 11:19:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2008 11:49:44 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
1- You Don't Know What Love Is-Sonny Rollins from his album "Saxophone Colossus"
2- How Deep Is The Ocean-Ella Fitzgerald (does this count as its not instrumental).
3- I Didn't Know What Time It Was-Charlie Parker on Verve
4- Autumn Leaves-Miles Davis from Addrely's Album "Somthin' Else".
5- Dearly Beloved-John Coltrane (not sure if this is a standard, but it brings tears to my eyes; its on Coltrane's album "Sunship").
6- Django- Bill Evans with bassist Eddie Gomez on the album Montreaux III
7- El Barrio- Joe Henderson on his album Inner Urge
(I am not sure whether those mentioned are ballads or not, but they certainly are MOVING)
There are many more.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 11:25:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2008 12:00:19 PM PDT
Ahmad says:
Tony:
I agree with you on You've Changed, but have you heard the version on Elvin Jone's album "Going Home"; Ravi Coltrane's solo on that album is so wonderful; And yes, Don't Explain (you seem to be in THE mood today :-)
Oh, have you forgotten Art Pepper's "Nature Boy", a heartbreaking ballad and solo.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  160
Total posts:  1935
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions