Charles, Is that true of Art MOnk? james

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 7:51:15 AM PDT
vespasian says:
Chares, What do you think of Yelberton Abraham Tittle? jamse

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 11:57:13 AM PDT
Bryce Jerlow says:
Charles,
Very clever re LINE FOR LIONS.
As a Detroiter originally, Jimmy V will really appreciate (or hate) it.

I also am curious re Art Monk being related to TS as is JV.
I thought only CHIP was related!

I do not understand the JOBIM comment!

Jimmy V,

I used to live blocks from Kezar Stadium in SF. I remember YA very well plus RC Owens et al. RC played Industrial League basketball with my friend Rolland Todd who became Portland's first coach. Most of us know what YA did with whichever club. I still consider him a NINER.

Bryce

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 12:58:11 PM PDT
Bryce Jerlow says:
Charles,

Just read the thread Amazon deleted. Interesting. Now, I do have my favorite teams and athletes, but I am mostly a sports fan. I can respect each for what they did, despite my personal partisanship. That said, SAMMY (RIP) was the man. Tuff to find a better QB of that era. Tuff also to find a better Center than MEL HEIN.

Tuff also to find LIU in any sports annals since basketball of eons ago. Ditto CCNY. Sports, like Jazz (Jazz of music, not Utah), has evolved.

This is not to start a debate re who is / isn't great or whatever. Just a couple observations. BTW, one of our forum members is related to an old Giant - Frank Gifford.

Bryce - listening to Carmell Jones as we speak (Mosaic). Cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 1:13:05 PM PDT
Bryce Jerlow says:
JV,
Yep, Mauer is the man. Interestingly, MN has a corps of good catchers. Redman is first in line. He went to college at GONZAGA. Go figure! He also is having a long life as a good catcher. This allows Mauer to be DH to preserve the legs / body, but at somewhat of an expense of hitting, Redmond being maybe #8 in the batting lineup.

Yep, Texiera is in the pack as well as Suzuki, he at 26 straight, but a long way from Joes hitting streak.

Bryce

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 2:22:01 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Bryce, Most writers say that albert Pujols of thje Cardinals is the best p;ayer today. He certainly has a wonderful record. 335hrs, lifetime ba ab out 330. I think the guys we mentioned will get there in due time jv

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 2:25:26 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Ps Joe Ds streak of 56 takes talent ,speed , and a large dose of luck. I cant believe that Mauer only struck out once in HS. He never faced me in my glory w/ my fastball (about 75 mph) breaking in and fown on RH batters

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 2:38:51 PM PDT
Bryce Jerlow says:
JV, aka Little Stu Miller,

Yep, Pujols pulls no punches. He is above the crowd.
I am curious re Ichi and where he ends up.
Heard a great Q the other day. What did Dimag do at the plate in the game he got no hit in - four walks, strike outs, etc??? Would like to know.

Never heard that about Mauer striking out only once in HS. Interesting. Hope that pitcher got to save that ball!!!

Bryce - and what did your "fast ball" do to lefties?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 5:09:07 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Bryce, I dont know offhand about the day joe went hitless, but I think he hit in 18 straight games after that. For lefties my "fastball" was right over the middle of the plate. I was pitching against another team one day, and their slugger came up. I had struck out about 4 bums before him. He was a righty who went on to play NCAA div 1 bball and hockey. I wound up and let my heater go , riight down the middle of the plate. I was a great pitch but he must have hit it 600 ft. I never saw a ball hit farther in high school. I still remember the guys name, frank Goldberg...jim

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 6:56:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2009 6:59:58 PM PDT
Bryce,

re:"BTW, one of our forum members is related to an old Giant - Frank Gifford."

That has to be me you're talking about. For the record I don't think I have ever stated anything of the like. If there is a relationship there it is pretty distant. Lookinginto my family tree I can say this - Back in my home town, Kokomo, Indiana there were 2 Gifford lineages, according to afellow from the "other" Giffords there was no blood relation between Them And us. That always made me stop and think before I made my some connection between any other Gifford.

I can tell this as well, it kinda fits in with all of the press Mike Tyson has been getting of late. It is my cousin, Patricia Gifford who was the judge that he stood before on the rape charge. That one is beyond doubt.

In regards to Mauer he deserves all of the kudos he gets. I met him after an Arizona Fall league game just before he came to the majors. I had found a foul ball in the grass outside the stadium on my way to the car in the middle innings; Mauer signed it on the sweet spot and personalized it. I think you and James know the Twins are my favorite team. That was definitely a highlight of my life as a fan. His personality that day reminded me of how Peyton Manning comes off - down to earth, friendly and so on.

Always to good to talk sports with you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 8:09:19 PM PDT
Bryce Jerlow says:
Jeffery,

Thanks for your response and clarification. My brain tells me we talked a tad about a possible or even probable relationship in the past, but I can not always trust my brian. I know we at least talked about him. Perhaps I read more into your comments than were stated. Thanks for the Tyson - Gifford scenario. Very interesting.

You confirmed my understanding of Joe Mauer as a person. That's a feel good thing here and surely a feel great thing on your part. I just hope he stays healthy and has the necessary At Bats to qualify for official recognition. Absolutely stunning what he has been doing this year. I hope the very best for him and I KNOW you do, as well as for the team. As I understand it, Monreau also did not go to college and got to the majors very young.

Bryce - most Jerlows are related, except for the bad guys. An uncommon name.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 12:17:29 AM PDT
Bryce Jerlow says:
JV'

I do nort forsee Mauer as a Home Run titlist, but two out of three is not half bad and is VERY probable.

He and maybe five others had some sort of an eye operation 2/3 years ago which was supposed to enhance vision in some way. I doubt hee can see the seams as the ball comes steaming in, but he had remarkable vision in the TOTAL and INDIVIDUAL sectors/areas of his strike zone even before the operation. Have no idea if the operation helped him or the others. I do not remember who the others were.

I would like to see stats re say, nine areas of that zone. I bet there is no area of weakness. There would simply be areas you, as a pitcher, DON'T want to pitch to for certain game situations, especially for a guy like him. Force a grounder or a DP ball, if not an SO. Easier said than done.

More elsewhere and at another time.

Bryce

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 7:43:46 AM PDT
sorry JIM I made it up

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 7:45:09 AM PDT
sorry it is nonsensical

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 7:57:03 AM PDT
dear vesp
YA was one of my absolute favorites. I would have to say now it is a three way photo-finish with YA__LT__and Phil Simms
do you remember who we traded to get YA? He was a lineman who wore # 74

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 8:18:30 AM PDT
Vesp Sorry ,I made it up.
but i have never heard that it was not true ,so I guess the odds are like 4,000.000.000to -1 ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 8:20:19 AM PDT
Alley Oop
the player traded for Y A was Lou Cordelione

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 8:25:52 AM PDT
Opine time!!
I always thought that hitting .406 by ted williams was a tougher thing than hitting in 56 straight. how about you?although no one has ever equaled it.
interesting .HEY?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 12:11:53 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Charles, Both are tough, but I think 56 game streak is harder. No room for error or mistake. To hit 400 you can have a bad day or two, w/o a hit--- not so in a streak. Its interesting that both were last done in 1941. I though winning 30 games wouldnt happen, but Denny McLain did it in 68. Pitchers dont throw enough innings to do it now....jim

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 12:32:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2009 1:04:42 PM PDT
Rob Stoneman says:
What is the main sport among most Jazz musicians.

And there has got to be a difference bewteen spectator sports and engaging in a sport.

For instance, a jazz band that has got an engagement that are keeping tabs on the score of a particular game.

Scores have a way of being announced between certain songs.

Did Duke or Count have a passion for playing golf?

I'd like to know.

Baseball bigger than football amongst most old timers?

I'm not sure.

Parties in the bar with the game on, lots of cheering.

In the spirit of the times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 12:42:35 PM PDT
Bryce Jerlow says:
Charles & JV,

Yep, no one will win 30 games again. Different era.
Yep, 56 straight games w/ hits has to be harder. Pressure builds.
Yep, TW was my main man. Still is. Will be until he is dead and BURIED.
Yep, HANK AARON did his job with class for a very long time.
Yep, BARRY BONDS did his job without the class of his dad, god father, and uncle.

Yep, changing sports, there never will be another AL OERTA!!!
Yep, what MARK SPITZ did at the Olympics was greater than whatshisname, despite fewer medals.
Yep, each MONK is a Monk! So glad you clarified. Creative in any case.
Yep, I'm outa' here for a few days. Going to a track meet - STATE!

Nope, had no idea re YA's trade counterpart. Alley Oop to you too.

Bryce

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 3:04:23 PM PDT
Bryce Jerlow says:
JV etc

Re the QB yardage - CFL & NFL - WARREN MOON, he also having a car dealership. Oops.

Bryce

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2009 5:38:36 AM PDT
HI VESP. How about the last weeks of the year trying to keep your ba at 400 when he had to go 2for 5 to keep 400 ba and the last day when ted could have sat with 399 plus ,which could have rounded to 400, he chose to play and went 4 for 6 in a double header for 406? during Joes streak teddy batted higher than Joe, who could go 1 for 5 joe had the streak long before the 56th straight so I think the pressure was heavier on ted
this is great chat. I also think batting 406 is a more important achievement.
charlie

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2009 5:41:26 AM PDT
In the 50 s and 60 s it was mainlining for many of my favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2009 5:44:10 AM PDT
I read that Bill Evans was a very good golfer his dad owned a driving range and also to qoute someone a" demon poolshark
'"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  667
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions