Customer Discussions > Job Search forum

Lost at sea on an internet job search

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2008 2:23:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2008 11:38:51 AM PST
Eric Evans says:
The hardest part about searching for a new job is actually deciding exactly what it is you want to do. The second half is getting exposure to all of these opportunities. Most of the major websites are so broad that you almost get lost in your search. I stumbled across a place that has a good comparison of different job search websites out there though. Check it out if you have the same lost feeling I had. I've always believed that it's better to move toward a goal than simply away from something you are doing.

-Erio
www.jobsearchcomparison.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 9:19:38 AM PDT
EmploymentCrossing.com is an excellent site that researches jobs from every other online job board and employer websites and consolidates them on its site.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2008 4:54:40 PM PDT
Norman Riley says:
I really like your last sentence. Many people today feel joy from helping people, but typically you have to step on people to advance in corporate America. That is why I started a part time home based business helping protect against America's fastest growing crime. Check out the short 10 minute video for details and see if there is someone you know who I can help. gojobfree.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2008 10:14:53 PM PDT
Jkwells says:
I agree with the above, that it takes a lot of personal decision making, to pick your next move
once you have done that, use
http://www.motiont.com/JobFinder.aspx
it searches multiple job search sites at once

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2008 3:03:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 31, 2010 8:07:16 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2008 3:06:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 31, 2010 8:07:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2008 4:46:44 PM PDT
Absolutely positively true that if you don't know what you want to do, you'll have a very tough time finding a job!

Buy a copy of the latest edition of Richard Bolles' "What Color Is Your Parachute?" book (updated every year, and 2009 is out now). Spend some time reading the book and doing EACH of the exercises. At the end, you'll know what you want to do.

If you don't want to buy the book, go to your public library - if they only have one career book in the whole place, this is the one. Borrow it, do the exercises, etc.

THEN, you can look for that job, get the added training you may need, etc. But, if you don't know what you want, you'll waste SO much time looking for a job and then you'll waste time in jobs that aren't really a good fit for you.

Find out FIRST what you would be happiest doing, and then your job search will be easier and your career will be FUN.

W-o-r-k IS a 4-letter word.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 11:21:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 31, 2010 8:07:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 10:54:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2008 10:55:30 AM PDT
Awesome Anne says:
... and please don't overlook the importance of your resume in the job search process ... which is what gets you noticed! The better the resume, the better the response you'll get when you respond to job postings!!

If you're sending out your resume and not getting any nibbles ... 1. you are not selling your accomplishments, attributes and skills well enough, AND 2. potential employers cannot see a connection between what you are conveying (that you offer) and what they need.

If you visit www.awesomeresumes4u.com, you can sign up for a Free Resume Assessment to see if your resume is standing in the way of your getting a new job.
Awesome Anne

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2009 9:52:33 AM PST
J. Stocco says:
When performing a search on any of the major job boards the most important thing is to be as specific as you can when entering your job description. If you put sales in Denver, CO you are going to get thousands of positions that you don't want to see. If you enter "health care software sales manager" you will receive much more targeted results. Also, there is a site www.TheOnlineBeat.com/job-search that allows you to search 5 different job boards with only entering your job description and location once!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 1:42:48 PM PST
Recently I built http://www.happyjobsearch.com . I made it because, after getting laid off for the second time in 3 months, I realized that organizing your job search makes a huge difference in how stressful the whole process feels. The app's strongly influenced by GTD (getting things done) and it's free.

Also, for searching for jobs, simplehired.com is good.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2009 7:03:35 PM PST
You should visit www.KeeperPress.com. I think that could help you out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Job Search forum (13 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Amazingly EASY way to make money from home! 0 Sep 19, 2014
Search Every Job Search Site at Once! 3 Jul 31, 2013
The Layoff Support Network 1 May 18, 2010
The Laid Off Ninja 0 May 18, 2010
New book just released to help you get career direction and then score that dream job even in this horrible economy! 0 Apr 27, 2010
I Hate My Job [But Not Doing Anything About It]: Take Charge of Your Career 2 Feb 5, 2010
New List: JobConcierge Executive Job Search "Top Books To Help You Find a Job" 0 Oct 8, 2009
I just want to pass along this Resume site...WONDERFUL! 1 Apr 20, 2009
Lost at sea on an internet job search 11 Feb 15, 2009
Search Every Job Search Site at Once! 0 Jan 27, 2009
what are you doing to prepare for the employment downturn? 11 Nov 12, 2008
See who is reading your resume and when 3 Oct 24, 2008

This discussion

Discussion in:  Job Search forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 15, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions