Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > John Wayne forum

Best fight scene in a John Wayne movie?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 11:47:55 AM PST
By far, the best brawl I have ever seen on the screen. The movie is called Flying Leathernecks and here is the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZz4dJsrD_s

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 8:15:08 PM PST
I agree that the fight in spoilers is probably the best serious fist fight but I also loved the mud Brawl in McLintock!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2011 8:21:00 PM PST
cmc says:
You needto see the Spoilers John Wayne and randolph Scott

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 1:00:35 AM PST
I've read that the Spoilers is famous for the best fight scene of all western movies. I was surprised to find that it's been made 5 times. 1914, 1923, 1930, 1942 (Scott and Wayne) and 1955 with Rory Calhoun and Jeff Chandler. I had read about the original and saw both the '42 and '55 versions but wondered if any of you have seen the 1923 or 1930 releases. It's sort of fun comparing them. The 1930 version had Gary Cooper fighting William Boyd who later became famous as Hopalong Cassiday!

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 5:24:34 PM PST
The Spoilers. John wayne and Randolph Scott have one ot the best bar room brawls in Cinema

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 12:38:32 PM PST
Also a "cute" fight scene - Sons of Katie Elder, when all the brothers get into it.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 9:30:36 PM PST
Dallas Davis says:
John Wayne, Dean Martin, and Ricky Nelsons characters against Burdette and his men at the end of Rio Bravo

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 7:04:22 PM PST
True but sad

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 4:59:23 PM PST
Vince Perrin says:
Sherri is correct, except for one caveat: it was Wayne's only Academy Award for acting, not his "first."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 4:52:14 PM PST
Terry Todd says:
It was that scene and that scene alone that brought John Wayne his First Acting Oscar ..

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 1:50:54 PM PST
What about the famous scene from True Grit where he puts the reins in his mouth and shoots with both hands?

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 10:51:13 AM PST
I particularly liked the brawl in "The Quiet Man". It went on , and on, and on. They they take a break for a beer in the local pub, during which neither man would let the other pay for the brews. Then John Wayne looks at his watch, then knocks Victor McLachlan right out of the double swinging doors to the pub. For another few minutes of rolicking fight. It was so long they took a beer break. I also thought it was hilarious that the parish priest (Ward Bond) was watching, and the younger assistant parish priest said "We should stop them!" (paraphrased). Ward Bond is bobbing and weaving, and "We should now at that!" (again paraphrased) but continues to watch and bob and weave as if he (Bond) himself were fighting.

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 2:40:52 PM PDT
Vince Perrin says:
The big extended brawling fight in North to Alaska, hands down.

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 10:24:56 PM PDT
Me says:
Speaking of fights, I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned the Ass kicking that Bruce Dern got courtesy of the Duke in The Cowboys. Seeing Derns broken and twisted honker later in the picture always brings a smile to my face.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2008 4:39:44 AM PST
why shouldn't John Waynes fight senes be the best. Him and Yakama Canuke perfected it. It it wasn't for those two fight senes wouldn't look real. Best one The Quiet Man & Then North To Alaska. DEL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 3:45:51 PM PST
No question about it. THE SPOILERS is perhaps the greatest fistfight in movie history.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 10:42:48 AM PST
the fight between John Wayne and Randolph Scott in the spoilers from 1942

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2008 2:52:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2008 2:55:49 AM PST
Searcher says:
You forgot "The Quiet Man". Wayne knocking Victor McLaglen all over the Irish
Landscape !!!!
And the brawl from "Sands of Iwo Jima" with Forrest Tucker and "Chisum" again
with Forrest Tucker.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008 9:03:23 AM PDT
There is a real good one in the Spoilers with Randolph Scott. In some interviews the Duke called this one his best.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 6:44:16 PM PDT
Max Fraley says:
RIGHT ON THE CHIN. There is THE FIGHT in The Spoilers and then there are all others. The Duke and Randolph Scott really go at it until there is almost nothing left in the tank for either one. There are many good fights in John Wayne movies, but there's only ONE that's great. See it and become a believer.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 1:42:15 PM PDT
The movie that stands out as the best fight scene in a John Wayne movie is in the movie, "The Spoilers". John and Randolph Scott really have a brawl. It's like 2 great actors fighting it out to see who is #1 in the movies. John Wayne is the good guy and Randolph Scott is the villain. If you haven't seen this movie you need to purchase one from Amazon.com. You'll be glad you did.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2008 8:37:04 PM PDT
Henry-Clyde says:
There are many others that I could have added, but those first ten were the ones that came to me immediately. Some that I did not put in: The Quiet Man, The War Wagon, Chisum, Cahill U.S. Marshall, or Rio Lobo. Practically any film that John Wayne was in, escpecially his Westerns, have at least one fight of some kind or another, but they are all great.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2008 7:47:01 PM PDT
You left out The Horse Soldiers (William Holden)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 8:33:24 PM PST
Henry-Clyde says:
I did consider adding The Quiet Man. But I have not seen The Quiet Man in a while and I could not exactly remember what went on in the film. I do own the film though, and sometime I might watch it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 7:25:14 PM PST
Kitty Coons says:
Henry-Clyde:
Did you forget about the walking brawl in The Quiet Man? Remember Maureen O'Hara's brother's refusal to give her her money? It's worth a thought.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the John Wayne forum (21 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  John Wayne forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Mar 3, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions