Customer Discussions > Judaism forum

There are no Coincidences

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2012 12:57:11 PM PST
C. Gramze says:
It has been said that there are no coincidences, and it's something I find to be true in my life. So, here's another "coincidence."

I am looking at books on Amazon, and find the Chofetz Chaim book. I have never heard of this man, and I am not totally certain what this book is about, but I feel like I ought to order it, and I do. I mention ordering it in this forum, and lo, Jeff is studying it with his family.

It arrived today and I read the introduction. I am totally blown away by how much I need to read and apply this book. I am totally blown away by the concept of Shmiras LaHoshon. I had only heard of lashon hara before. The positive flip side is so powerful! THIS is what we need to use as the guide for how to act in this forum!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 1:20:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2012 1:22:33 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 1:38:53 PM PST
Emma says:
C. Gramze - I agree that we should all try to follow the Chofetz Chaim's teachings, both in "real life" and on this forum. I've been reading his Daily Companion - even after studying these laws for years, I always get something out of it.

For those who might not know, The Chofetz Chaim is Rabbi Yisroel Meir Kagan, who wrote extensively about the laws of speech and related topics. His name comes from a verse in Tehillim (Psalms) (34:14,15) "Mi ha'ish he'chafetz chaim ... netzor l'shoncha merah..." (Who is the man who desires [long] life? ... Guard your tongue from [speaking] evil)."

There is a Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation that puts out a lot of great information and programs, including a daily e-mail. The website for that is http://www.chofetzchaimusa.org/inspiration_emailform.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 1:54:47 PM PST
jeffesq613 says:
Excellent post, C. Gramze. We all need to work on improving this forum. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 1:55:54 PM PST
jeffesq613 says:
Good information, Emma. Thank you.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 2:34:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2012 2:35:15 PM PST
C. Gramze says:
Thank you, Emma, for the much-needed explanatory information. Also, thank you for the link to the website. I get so much worthless email - it will be nice to get something worthwhile. I've been on an unsubscribing kick, even unsubcribing to emails from places I shop at regularly. How did emails for "special notices and sales" morph into "send me emails daily??" I look forward to this positive contribution in my mailbox!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 2:58:41 PM PST
Emma says:
I'm glad I could help :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 3:56:30 PM PST
Dakotawolf says:
Thank you for posting this. I don't have this book yet but it will be next on my list very soon.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 4:30:14 PM PST
Uncle Pinky says:
I am happy that you uncoincidentally found the Chofetz Chaim!
Putting his ideas into practice can help any person no matter what their outlook on other issues.
I have heard it told over that when the Chofetz Chaim passed yeshivos all across Europe and America said Kaddish for his Final Aliyah.

http://www.beyondbt.com/2006/11/03/the-chofetz-chaims-obituary/
http://www.vosizneias.com/92586/2011/10/05/new-york-revealing-the-chofetz-chaim%E2%80%99s-will-by-ami-magazine/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 4:55:14 PM PST
Dakotawolf says:
Which particular Chofets Chaim book did you get? I went on Artsctoll's site and they have several different ones.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 7:19:38 AM PST
jeffesq613 says:
A little off topic, but someone sent me this story, and I wanted to share it:

<The Christmas Tree

by Jonathan Rosenblum

A Jewish family comes home to discover their house festooned with holiday lights.

Rabbi Berel Wein was once invited to a meeting with the editor of the Detroit Free Press. After introductions had been made, the editor told him the following story.

His mother, Mary, had immigrated to America from Ireland as an uneducated, 18-year-old peasant girl. She was hired as a domestic maid by an observant family. The head of the house was the president of the neighboring Orthodox shul.

Mary knew nothing about Judaism and had probably never met a Jew before arriving in America. The family went on vacation Mary's first December in America, leaving Mary alone in the house. They were scheduled to return on the night of December 24, and Mary realized that there would be no Christmas tree to greet them when they did. This bothered her greatly, and using the money the family had left her, she went out and purchased not only a Christmas tree but all kinds of festive decorations to hang on the front of the house.

When the family returned from vacation, they saw the Christmas tree through the living room window and the rest of the house festooned with holiday lights. They assumed that they had somehow pulled into the wrong driveway and drove around the block. But alas, it was their address.

The head of the family entered the house contemplating how to explain the Christmas tree and lights to the members of the shul, most of whom walked right past his house on their way to shul. Meanwhile, Mary was eagerly anticipating the family's excitement when they realized that they would not be without a Christmas tree.

After entering the house, the head of the family called Mary into his study. He told her, "In my whole life no one has ever done such a beautiful thing for me as you did." Then he took out a $100 bill -- a very large sum in the middle of the Depression -- and gave it to her. Only after that did he explain that Jews do not have Christmas trees.

When he had finished telling the story, the editor told Rabbi Wein, "And that is why, there has never been an editorial critical of Israel in the Detroit Free Press since I became editor, and never will be as long as I am the editor."

The shul president's reaction to Mary's mistake -- sympathy instead of anger -- was not because he dreamed that one day her son would the editor of a major metropolitan paper, and thus in a position to aid Israel. (Israel was not yet born.) He acted as he did because it was the right thing to do.

That's what it means to be a Kiddush Hashem, to sanctify God's Name. It is a goal to which we can all strive.>

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 7:25:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2012 7:54:46 AM PST
Jeff13: That's what it means to be a Kiddush Hashem, to sanctify God's Name. It is a goal to which we can all strive.>

AJP: It is hypocrisy which prevents one from attaining and maintaining the state of God's name.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 9:07:54 AM PST
Uncle Pinky says:
What a beautiful story!
Forwarding to my family in Michigan.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 9:13:17 AM PST
jeffesq613 says:
Glad you liked it, UP.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 9:14:51 PM PDT
Omnireader says:
!

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:22:54 PM PDT
Uncle Pinky says:
I'm currently working my way through Chofetz Chaim: Loving Kindness and am finding it very illuminating.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 10:46:01 PM PDT
Omnireader says:
Thank you for the link!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Judaism forum (933 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Judaism forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions