Customer Discussions > Judaism forum

Did God Have A Wife

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2851-2875 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:09:34 PM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
yba says: Any chance you want to move to S.E. Texas and enjoy our sultry summer, Temps are expected to top 110-degrees this week. I guarantee you will not be cold?

Me: I love the cold. I hate the heat. It's why I always tell people I am not a good candidate for hell.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:12:54 PM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
I'd point out this is hell, and technically by the standards in the bible, Heaven is even hotter than Hell.

So either way you are in trouble.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:17:41 PM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Hanalah says: Because of Samuel's failure, Agag lived one more night, during which he impregnated his wife

Me: I believe you meant to say King Saul's failure. Also, I don't know why you say it was Agag's wife. I believe it says a maidservant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:36:26 PM PDT
jaime says:
Hanalah
The majority has the Divine authority to establish halachah. THAT is the fact. It doesn't matter that the Bat Kol said Eliezer was right, because the Bat Kol is in heaven, and the Torah itself declares that the halakhah is NOT IN HEAVEN. We are commanded to follow the majority OF SAGES in determining which correct position to take. These and these are the words of the living Gd, but the halachah is according to the majority of sages. I ask Big and cbk and Jeff if they agree with this.

Jeff
Yes.

Hanalah
Thank you, Jeff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:38:48 PM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
yba says: Boyarin's book "Border Lines"... ...I can see where you would not care for his work in that it does differentiate between written and oral Torah,

Me: Does he consider the Oral Torah a lesser authority than the Written Torah?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:40:48 PM PDT
jaime says:
Because when the first man met the first woman, he said, "She shall be called 'ishah, for she was taken out of 'ish."

There was no other language at that time which could make this pun.

There is such a language now. The pun works in English even better.

"She shall be called woMAN because she was taken out of MAN."

But the only language that supported this pun in ancient times was Hebrew.

Therefore Adam must have been speaking Hebrew.

And since Adam was speaking the same language as Gd, Hebrew was also the language with which Gd created the world.

And that is how we know this.

Of course, this argument requires the awareness that Gd wrote the Torah and gave it to us exactly as Gd wrote it.

So it's possible that it may fail to mean anything to you. But that IS how we know it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:41:44 PM PDT
jaime says:
In reply to a query you posed on another thread:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/will-your-grandchild-be-jewish-chart-graph.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:44:11 PM PDT
jaime says:
Actually, the first human was a sort of siamese twin, both male and female, joined at the side (the word actually means "side" rather than "rib").

So Eve was not taken from Adam's rib.

The two sides were separated, enabling them to see each other and to make love.

Which they did immediately, of course.

Why wouldn't they?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:45:35 PM PDT
jaime says:
Omigosh. Of course I did mean to say King Saul's failure.

And I really didn't know who it was. A maidservant? But how did she escape?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:46:41 PM PDT
jaime says:
He says that he lives by it and that he observes halachah.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:52:50 PM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
yba says: John Hyrcanus, supporter of the Sadducees showed crucified 800 pharisees at a dinner party after having their families put to death before their eyes.

Me: Source please...

yba says: While the SAdduuccees headed the Sanhedrin

Me: Never happened.

yba says: the Pharisees were active on the board.

Me: This was not a corporation. There is no such thing as a Sanhedrin "board".

As far as the term Rabbinic Judaism, it is the term used in all scholarly works I am aware of today to refer to the Judaism that emerged from and after Yavneh, after the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of our Temple.

Me: That doesn't make it correct. Torah always had Rabbinic authority as it's base. Moses being the first.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:55:02 PM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
yba says: The only difference I might question is whether "both" sides were correct.

Me: This is the concept of "these and these are the words of the living God". How can the words of the living God be incorrect?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 11:04:20 PM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Hanalah says: Instead of saying "I believe that" (which I said for brevity's sake) it would have been more accurate for me to have said, "OK, for the sake of argument, let me concede that. But even if that were true, it would fail to make us Canaanites."

Me: But if you don't believe it, then why would you say it was so? For whatever sake.
You should have instead said something like "even if this were the case it would not matter because of this this and this..."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 11:21:08 PM PDT
I. Dunn says:
Big Shmooz says: This is the concept of "these and these are the words of the living God". How can the words of the living God be incorrect?

Because you have a copy of a copy of a copy and the original autographs no longer exist to compare against. Errors have slipped in in the copying process.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 11:21:26 PM PDT
jaime says:
Right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 11:57:48 PM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Hanalah says: The Talmud has how many dozens of volumes? Please give the tractate and the page number where the people who ruled the entire world are listed. Thank you.

Me: I found this instead... Tractate Sanhedrin page 20B The text follows...

Raish Lakish said: At first, Solomon reigned over the higher beings, as it is written, Then
Solomon sat on the throne of the Lord as king; afterwards, [having sinned,] he reigned [only] over
the lower, as it is written, For he had dominion over all the region on this side the river, from
Tifsah even to Gaza.
Rav and Shmuel [explain this verse in different ways]: One says, Tifsah was situated at one end of
the world and Gaza at the other. The other says: Tifsah and Gaza were beside each other, and just
as he reigned over these, so did he reign over the whole world. But eventually his reign was
restricted to Israel, as it is written, I Koheleth have been king over Israel etc. Later, his reign was
confined to Jerusalem alone, even as it is written, The words of Koheleth, son of David, king in
Jerusalem. And still later he reigned only over his couch, as it is written, Behold it is the litter of
Solomon, three-score mighty men are about it etc. And finally, he reigned only over his staff as it
is written, This was my portion from all my labour.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:02:22 AM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Big Shmooz: "Probably the most famous was that we would have future exiles."

Lawrence A. Dickerson says: This called Monday morning quarterbacking.The Pharisees had already experienced exiles in the not too distant past and don'tchuknow that history repeats itself?Self fulfilling prophesies.

Me: I have no idea what you're talking about. I was referring to Moses not telling the Israelites in Egypt that there would be a future exile as well. What does your above response have to do with what I said?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:04:40 AM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Hanalah says: OK, maybe they had a UN in Africa, and all the people in the world are descended from the folks who were at the UN. Fine. Have it your way.

Me: That is not what I said. I was giving a plausible explanation for why those remains might have been in Africa. Not that all the people in the world today are descended from those people in Africa.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:08:25 AM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Hanalah says: Whenever people think the messiah is about to come, they start behaving insanely.

Me: I have absolutely no idea what you mean. In my surroiundings if people heard the Messiah is coming the response would be to go to the Bais Hamidrash & start studying Torah & praying.

Hanalah says: You want more mishigas like that???

Me: What I described above.... most definitely.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:20:48 AM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Sarah says: I do note however, that BS never addressed a related question that I asked. If the Jewish population originated as non-Canaanites immigrating from Aramaic speaking areas, why are none of the early biblical names Aramaic in form and why are nearly all of them straightforward Canaanite names? A whole population moves to a new area and suddenly forgets its native language and forgets all the Aramaic names it ever had or translates them into Canaanite forms? Why? Were they ashamed of their Aramaic-speaking origins?

Me: I never saw this question, which is why I never responded to it. The question though is incorrect. There are no Aramaic OR Cannanite names. There are only Hebrew names.

Sarah says: A whole population moves to a new area and suddenly forgets its native language and forgets all the Aramaic names it ever had or translates them into Canaanite forms? Why?

Me: What whole popualtion are you referring to? Avraham & Sarah? & as I stated above, they are not Canaanite names or Aramaic.

Sarah says: And why does Aramaic only appear (except for one single phrase, ygar-sahaduta) in periods many many centuries later?

Me: Why should it? Even "yigar suhadusa" is in reference to what Luhvuhn called the place. Yaakov named it "Galaid" which is Hebrew.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:23:06 AM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
jeffesq613 says: Isn't one interpretation of what the Torah means when it says "va'y'cahal Elokim bayom ha'sh'vi'i m'lachto aher asa" that the melacha he did on the 7th day was the creation of Shabbos?

Me: I don't know. I never heard this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:25:14 AM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
jeffesq613 says: The teachings of the 4 Zugot are part of "Rabbinic Judaism". They lived well over one hundred years before Yavneh. "Rabbinic Judaism" began when Prophetic Judaism ended, around the time of Malachi.

Me: Since Moses was the first Rabbi, ordained by God Himself, I would note that Rabbinic Judaism began at Seenai.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:30:10 AM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Sarah says: So then to your list of beliefs we can add this one: we can know about the history of the universe only by consulting eyewitness reports written by One who was there.

Me: To be 100% sure, yes, that is the only way. All oither ways have holes in the logic that detracts from being postively sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:34:47 AM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Hanalah says: The pun works in English even better.

Me: It does not. For in English we can't derive how God is in the mixture of man and woman. But in Hebrew we can.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:38:35 AM PDT
Big Shmooz says:
Hanalah says: But how did she escape?

Me: I don't know that she needed to. She was not an Amalekite herself. If she had been she would not have been alive to begin with. After all, only Agag was left alive.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Judaism forum (947 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Nice Jewish Girl Related to Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI 1 3 hours ago
What are you grateful for today? 113 8 hours ago
Non Jew Trying To Learn In This Forum 2807 4 days ago
Women of the Wall 19 10 days ago
Weekly Parshah 398 10 days ago
Jewish Music 16 10 days ago
Why do the Judaism discussions seem to fade away? 102 12 days ago
Favorite Jewish Book 48 12 days ago
The Cherubim 427 14 days ago
Troll alert! 127 14 days ago
Welcome, Christians! 261 15 days ago
Who does Havdalah? 23 15 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Judaism forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions