Customer Discussions > Judaism forum

My Mother Has Been Trying To Find A Book...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2012 9:42:11 PM PDT
JVC says:
My mother has been trying to find a book she read many years ago, but does not know what it's called or who wrote it. I've asked research librarians and no one seems to know what it might be. My mother remembers that the book's main character was the son of a rabbi and the mother was sick somehow, and that it may have taken place in New York. She thinks the character's first name might have been Isaac and his best friend was a Christian. I know this is not much to go on, but I figured I might as well give it a shot. Thanks :)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 5:18:47 PM PDT
I. Dunn says:
Maybe she was thinking of this author

Isaac Bashevis Singer (1904-1991) - pseudonym Warshofsky

Polish-born American journalist, novelist, short-story writer, and essayist, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1978. Singer's chief subject is the traditional Polish life in various periods of history, largely before the Holocaust. He has especially examined the role of the Jewish faith in the lives of his characters, who are pestered with passions, magic, asceticisms and religious devotion. According to Singer, "A good writer is basically a story-teller, not a scholar or a redeemer of mankind."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 10:51:45 AM PDT
cbk says:
Sounds like a book by Chaim Potok.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 1:39:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 2:38:55 PM PDT
Arielski says:
She may be thinking about "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 9:14:04 PM PDT
JVC says:
I thank you so very much for your attention and suggestions, especially because I had so little information to go on. I researched Chaim Potok, and as soon as I mentioned "My Name Is Asher Lev" she immediately recognized it! I'm not surprised that someone on here could help - although there are negative posters here, there are many positive ones, as well (kind of like in the 'real' world). So I now have the answer to a mystery of many years, and once again I thank you :D
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Judaism forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions