Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

kindle locked up

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2010 7:01:39 AM PST
R. Howell says:
my 4 month old kindle is stuck at the end of a novel and will not open other titles...will display home and menu but will not open new one

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 8:45:29 AM PST
mine did the same thing, I had to call customer service and they couldn't fix it either, but they did replace it... you might call them to see if they can help..

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 8:05:16 AM PST
S. Vanatta says:
That happened to me as well. My son googled the problem and came up with this....Hold the On lever to the right for 30 seconds, then release. In about 20 more seconds, it will back to life. It worked for me...hope it works for you.
Shannon V.

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 2:37:43 PM PST
What Shannon describes is called the "hard reset" as described in the Operating Manual. Customer Service had me do that when my kindle locked up...and also when upgrading software.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 6:59:33 AM PST
Trudysue says:
I had this happen to me and the above solution worked. I found the answer in the Kindle Manual.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 7:03:52 AM PST
@Gertrude: I saw that in the owner's manual too, and I sincerely hope your issues was a one-time problem. However when my kindle was locking up and re-booting 3x within 30 minutes and this was happening repeatedly (losing my place each time and draining the battery) -- *that* is what has been happening to a lot of us, enough to make Amazon take notice, and the common denominator has seemed to be the use of the non-lighted Amazon brand hinged cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 7:03:58 AM PST
Trudysue says:
I had this happen to me and the above solution worked. I found the answer in the Kindle Manual.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 7:30:44 AM PST
S. Vanatta says:
Yes, my Kindle locks up all the time. Usually about once a day...and I read daily. I do have a non-lighted hinged cover....so they are saying this causes the lock up? Is it because they get too hot? Shannon

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 7:33:28 AM PST
Its not about heat -- more likely static build up affecting the metal hinges of the case that enter the side of the Kindle. They aren't saying anything difinitive at this time, but you may want to call the 800# for customer service (from Kindle Users Guide) and let them know of your issue so they can track it. I was told to remove case, upgrade firmware, and do a hard re-set. I haven't had a single re-boot or freeze since.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 8:17:35 AM PST
S. Vanatta says:
I most definately will remove the cover....what is firmware?
shannon

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 8:54:06 AM PST
I am so *not* technical -- but its like upgrading the software that operates the Kindle. Totally easy, and they will walk you through it :)

Just call Customer Service.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 8:56:11 AM PST
S. Vanatta says:
Thanks Suzanne...I will call them. I will also take off my cover. I've been thinking of getting one of those gel skins anyway. Thanks again for the info.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 12:18:01 PM PST
S. Geuy says:
I'm locked up as well, can't find my manual, what's the customer service # ?

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 12:47:21 PM PST
R. Devlin says:
Thank you folks I had the same problem. Had a look at the forums and couldn't find a similar question so I posted a question then I found your response. Typical but the good news is it worked.

Kindle should pin this to the top of the discussion page.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 1:05:13 PM PST
Inside the United States, toll free 1-866-321-8851. I only held for 1 minute or two and immediately got a live person. Good luck!

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 1:10:10 PM PST
Selected Countries and U.S. Territories including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Guam, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, United Kingdom, Virgin Islands = Direct number: 1-206-266-0927.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 4:13:21 PM PST
I had the same problem with the hinged cover causing the Kindle to lock up and reboot, when I took it out of the cover and charged it up again it worked.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 5:35:25 PM PST
I just had the same problem happen to my kindle and I looked up what to do in the operators manual online. This is the first time it happened as I just got it. I hope it doesn't continue to happen. But at least I was able to correct the problem.

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 10:48:32 AM PST
Harold Cook says:
so if you can't use the cover, how are you protecting your kindle when traveling, etc. I have not been able to solve the problem with mine. I have been on the phone with them and they did not mention the cover. I have done a hard reset many times and the problem continues. The same cover does not seem to bother my Mom's kindle which is the 3G version.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 10:59:44 AM PST
Mine is 3G and had a non-lighted cover. Cust Svc did not volunteer info about the cover being an issue, but once I mentioned what I had been reading on the forum the rep kind of danced around it and said they're "not sure, but could be a correlation" and the rep said to remove the cover and see what happened. Been over a week now, daily use for hours, and no more re-booting/freezing.
NOW - I have a skin on it, to prevent scratches, and a BUILT neoprene sleeve for on-the-go. *Prefer the book-style cover for protection, but the other covers out there seem bulky and ill-fitting by comparison.

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 7:54:20 PM PST
dii says:
I am having the same trouble and it's hard to believe that I finally got the answer after three tries. Seems like it's the cover. They need to resolve this. I bought the cover for a reason. I took it off as finally suggested from the rep. and right now it seems to be working. Expecting a call on Saturday to see if problem is resolved and will get a refund from Amazon for the price paid for the cover. Any suggestions on how to protect my Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 5:29:40 AM PST
S. Vanatta says:
When I removed my cover....it quit locking up.....I am going to buy a gel skin and a padded carrier for travel. Maybe Amazon will reimburse us for the useless non-lighted cases?

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 5:44:53 AM PST
I was having lock up issues as well and removed the hinged cover I was using. Since then I have had no trouble. The battery was also draining really quickly and no issues at all once the cover was taken off.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 9:12:13 AM PST
My kindle is 3 weeks old and I have it in a leather cover with plastic hinges and after turning it off and I come back to read it is locked up and it takes forever for it to come back on and the battery life is cut in half. So did I buy a $55 cover that is causing the problem? IF so, why does Amazon sell them? I was so excited to get my Kindle but the problems are quite aggravating!

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 9:46:43 AM PST
The problems with the covers causing kindle functions to fail have been posted on many amazon discussions. Best Buy sells those exact amazon covers that are causing the problems. I mentioned that to the salesman and he said that they have had many returns on them plus they fall apart. Because I have read many of other posts I pretty much knew this already so I bought a targus leather cover that is padded and also a clear self-adhesive plastic cover made for the kindle for the screen they sell. I did not go with zagg because of the technical installation and a spray you have to use. I hope when I start using my kindle I do not experience any problems since all this is new to me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (821 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
can you add memory to Kindle Fire? 155 10 days ago
repair screen 47 20 days ago
Deleting PDF files from Kindle Fire 41 25 days ago
Kindle charger doesn't work 74 27 days ago
kindle won't turn off 227 29 days ago
Kindle won't turn off, but is still usuable 0 Aug 5, 2015
Can you mark a book read? 37 Jul 19, 2015
Track hard bound books 1 Jul 6, 2015
my kid said he was an adult. How do I fix this? 2 Jun 26, 2015
Kindle battery 27 Jun 22, 2015
Time Reading 1 Jun 17, 2015
screen protector for new hd7 3 Jun 14, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions