Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

airport security and the Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 14, 2011 1:27:17 PM PDT
D. Thibault says:
I will be flying and want to take my Kindle will the airport security hurt it, the x-ray and all?

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 2:19:36 PM PDT
I had 4 flights recently and I haven't noticed any problem with mine, since.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 2:26:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2011 2:26:30 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
Nothing security does will harm any electronics. X-rays and all. All electronics will be fine. Keep an eye out for theft, though. There are recent reports of TSA employees being caught stealing passenger's small electronics. One TSA officer was caught (after being reported by an airline employee) with iPads stuffed into his pants.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 10:10:35 AM PDT
I fly with mine right in my carry-on all the time.......Never a problem so far!!!!! And in my motorcycle tank bag on longtrips......NOTHING seems to bother this little machine....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 9:53:52 AM PDT
Patscats says:
I had my kindle in my carryon bag several times and I haven't had any problems so far. I notice too that other people on the plane have kindles or nook etc. So, I guess it didn't hurt theirs either.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 2:11:19 AM PST
Ms Anstey says:
Have travelled extensively and never thought it would happen to me. Returning to London from Schipol airport on 26 Dec 2011 I was told to place my kindle in a separate crate and it was put through the x-ray machine. On boarding the flight I tried to turn my kindle off and the screen melted before my eyes. Was one of the kindle's biggest fans. Sister bought it as present for me 2 years ago so paid closed to $280. Amazon us made out like they would replace it for free, but as I live in the uk pushed me off to Amazon uk. Amazon uk demanded I pay for it. Joke. Kindle not fit for purpose. Was one of their earliest users and biggest advocates. Not any more. Cannot trust it and certainly not Amazon to see me right. They have not replied to my emails and calling them is thankless.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 5:54:35 PM PST
From the posts, it seems that the problem is in the European airports. I really need to know about this as my husband and I are flying to Europe this year. We plan to take our Kindles with us. Does anyone out there know how to get around having to put the Kindle xray machines?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 1:15:23 PM PST
I have taken my kindle to Europe twice and never any problem.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:26:37 PM PST
I recently went to Germany and England with my Kindle. I've had it for a year now and never had a problem...until this trip. It will 'forget' where i was and so i have to skip forward quite a ways in books i'm reading, and it will freeze. Completely stop responding to where i can't turn it off and on, and eventually the screen goes black. I don't know how long it takes to get back, but by the next day, the normal screensaver is back, but then it'll freeze again. this has happened every time i've used it. I'm not certain, but i definitely feel it was the airport security that caused the problems.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:51:43 AM PST
Taking my DX to Asia. Any problems with airport screening similar to those with Europe's screening?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:04:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 12:07:52 AM PST
Chipper says:
I go twice a year oversea to the Philippines and travel through airport security and x-ray machine..My kindle 2nd Generations come out fine working order, no problems encounter in it operations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 1:45:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 1:56:39 PM PST
Dontay says:
The destruction of E ink kindles that have passed through airport scanners is a well known event. The rollers under the conveyor belt leading to airport X-ry scanners generate a static electricity field, it has been found that this field can momentarily spike at around 200 volts. (The X-ray scanner itself is harmless)This level of voltage is sufficient to destroy E ink chemicals leaving a permanent splodgy mess on the kindle screen. One kindle can be unaffected & the one in the
next bag destroyed. It's nothing to do with one being more robust than the next! Go through 10 times fine... but it can be destroyed on the next pass through! Anti- static bags (bit like a Jiffy bags but with metallic protective lining)are readily available on EBay None E ink readers & iPads are not affected by static electricity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 6:58:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2013 7:01:26 AM PST
Kim Davies says:
Our family has had great difficulty with our kindles and the airport. We have the original kindles. My family just traveled and our 3 kindles would not work later. Our kindles had been fully charged and when we got to the hotel none of them worked. We could not get them to turn on. Holding and sliding the bar would not turn them back on-- nothing happened. We ended up plugging them in and when we did , after a time , they worked. On the return trip my son's and my husband's kindle worked fine, but mine wouldn't turn on at all. When I got home I plugged it in over night and now it works. My husband has had his screen do really weird things after it goes through the airport , but it eventually gets corrected on its own. Something does seem to drain the battery life (even if fully charged )when it goes through the scan---I don't understand what! But it does not do it to all of the kindles every time.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:25:25 AM PST
Kim Davies says:
All three of my family's kindles were affected by the screening the last time we traveled. We all have the older kindles. It was travel in the USA. Our kindles would not turn on until we got to the hotel and could plug them in for a while. Then we could get them turned on , but when we got them on ,all three of them said the battery was not charged even though we had charged them immediately prior to the flight. After charging them they all worked fine , although my husband's kindle did some weird screen things , but it sorted itself out in a few minutes after we charged it. On the return trip , only my kindle was affected even though it went through minutes before my husband's. I could not use mine until I brought it home and recharged it. Something depleted the charge on all three of the kindles on the first part of our trip (and my son had traveled through a different airport), but only mine was affected on the return flight. I may try putting in a static bag protector as one person has said and see if this does the trick!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (812 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Aug 14, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions