Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

Should I get the amazon prime membership?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 167 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2011 7:23:39 PM PST
I'm looking into purchasing a Kindle but I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to whether or not it's worth getting the prime membership. To give you an idea of what I read I'm a 20 year old female college student, so I like Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, and similar authors. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 9:42:21 PM PST
T. Holmes says:
Amazon prime wouldn't be necessary simply to compliment a basic kindle e reader. Here's what amazon prime is great for: as a student if you order your text books via amazon ou can get them shipped for free with two day shipping. And you can get pretty much anything you order with free two day shipping. If you order enough items is pays for itself. Also the first year of prime for students is FREE!!! After that it's just $79. Also, if you like to watch movies or are into documentaries or want to catch up on old TV shows Prime members can stream all of those for FREE!!!! That's thousands of movies and programs. As an avid reader Prime members can also take advantage of the Prime Library. You can borrow books to read on your kindle for FREE!!!! Clearly, I'm a fan of prime. I've been a member for years. Finally you can share your Prime member benefits with family :-)

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 5:52:35 AM PST
I find the $79 per year well worth it, as I order so much merchandise (books, tea, boots) from Amazon, as I find the best prices. I love the FREE two-day shipping, and I also use the Amazon video on demand, which provides tons of free movies. I now have the Kindle Fire, and look forward to even more freebies because I am a Prime member. Well worth it!!

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 5:59:22 AM PST
JustMe says:
I got Prime free with my Fire. Am pretty sure I'm going to keep it and cancel my Netflix. Prime is cheaper AND the free 2day shipping will be an extra bonus!

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 9:43:09 AM PST
IMO, it's not worth it if you're only getting it for the Kindle lending library. If you're interested in the free shipping as well, you should be able to get 6 months free as a student. Look for the Amazon Student page to sign up. The free membership won't get you the free streaming video or library, but you can continue the membership for half price, which is a pretty good deal.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 11:38:20 AM PST
aldwyn hogg says:
will it work in the bahamas? the movie downloads i mean.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 11:38:53 AM PST
M. Marker says:
I just got Fire today, How did you get Prime free?

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 1:02:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2011 4:17:18 PM PST
Val says:
How do I delete a free ebook and a free sample of a book from my Kindle Fire? I'm a new owner and cannot find instructions for this. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 2:43:40 PM PST
L. Leverton says:
The free memberships don't get the streaming or prime lending. You get 1 month trial when you buy the fire. OP, if you are a student you can get free amazon student prime. You won't be able to stream or get prime lending though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 4:52:36 PM PST
M. Marker: You get 30 days of Prime free with the registration of a Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 4:21:21 AM PST
geego says:
To remove the book from your fire:
with the book in the bookshelf (or home), press and hold the book, select

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 7:52:22 PM PST
Yes it worth it you also get a discount on every thing you buy and I also recieved free shipping most of the time ,I bought a Kindle Fire and I got to try the prime for 30 days free so I have been buying as much as I can here than other places because of the discounts and I just love all the perks you get from having prime. When it expires I'm buying the prime for sure . Here's a great example PS3 Battlefield 3 is normally $60.00 I got it for $39.00 and no shipping and handling. Best deal even on Black Friday and Cyber Monday No business could beat that price and those days I thought some one would but no one could.
So I hope that shows you how much money it will pay you to purchase it. I saved so much money already and I have 9 days left till it expires.I know It will pay for it's self after you buy 2 or 3 things from Amazon. Get a kindle fire you will love it I love mine My daughter has a nook she loves her nook also .There is only 1 thing the nook has over my fire and that's the battery life is longer , my daughter has to pay for almost" EVERY" app & game out there where as kindle has so many free one plus you can get the free app everyday from amazon. I hope I helpped you make up your mind....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 8:44:51 PM PST
JustMe says:
Hi Dawn,
I got Prime with my Kindle Fire too. I'm enjoying the free streaming video and have ordered a couple things and enjoyed the free 2day shipping as well. I think it pretty likely I'll keep it and drop my Netflix. Prime is cheaper. I can't say I noticed anywhere that said having Prime earned me a discount though. How did you find that out?

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 9:29:44 PM PST
well allot of items the pric is cut down and it has the word prime and the check mark behind it.Iknow I save at least $200 with every that I bought .I also found things cheaper here than ebay's half.com plus if you go through Shopat Home you even can get coupons and discounts and at least 4% back on ech order . Maybe I notice the discounts becase I shop on here allot and more here than anywhere else on the internet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 12:16:54 AM PST
TuxGirl says:
No.digital videos from amazon are all.us-only.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 12:19:43 AM PST
TuxGirl says:
That is not a prime discount. There is no.discount for.prime members. They get the same prices.on everything. The prime notation means the item.is prime-eligible for.shipping.purposes. amazon discounts many items from the list price/msrp, and they display both list price and their.discounted.price.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 6:31:43 AM PST
anu kapoor says:
its wonderful but i guess it should be 10 inches, and there should be regular port of flash drive. regular usb, also they should have thought of a camera too, i think than its one of the best in the world. they can charge extra cost for that.
i believe people ready to pay the price for a good thing.
may be kindle fire 2 gonna have this all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 11:15:36 AM PST
Firefox J says:
I also read a lot and so far the PRIME only gives good deals on hardback and paperback books. I read Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, John Grisham and Nicholas Sparks and 90% of the Kindle Fire e-books are $9.99 and higher. I bought mine before looking into this and now, I stioll go to the used book store to buy some of the older books by these authors. Of course, the ultimate decision will be up to you!

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 12:29:52 PM PST
Amazon is misleading on the Kindle prime lending of books. Yes, they have thousands to choose from but you can only borrow one a month. Also, not everything is free shipping. It has to have the Prime notation. A lot of times you will still get free shipping if your order qualifies, regardless if you are a Prime member or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 7:40:00 AM PST
W. Falcone says:
Go online to Amazon, then to the Kindle drop down and look for your library. That will give you the option to delete anything in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 9:01:05 AM PST
MKB says:
it comes automatically with your initial purchase. you should have gotten an email stating the start date of your 30-day free trial.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 6:32:29 PM PST
I am addicted to prime membership, and you get a year free with your student email address and 3 more years at half off. I have everything shipped two day free to my address as well as my kids in Maryland. I love it! I use Netflix mostly for movies though, but the Amazon ones in HD are a good clear picture.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 8:24:12 PM PST
Cre says:
How do you share your Prime with your family?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 10:45:13 PM PST
Sue says:
I have had it since August 2011 and have saved more than what I paid for it in shipping.

The movies are great. Some you rent--download to your Fire--some you can buy and some you stream. I have been watching some older movies that I have not seen for a while. Some of the movies, TV shows and documentries are free.

There is also the Amazon Kindle Lending Library. You can search for books that you can read for free and return when you are done with them. You can borrow one book a calander month. You have to return the book you borrowed first. If you get it just for the Lending Library it is not worth it. It would be cheaper to buy the books outright.

You can add guests to your Prime account and they can enjoy the free 2 day shipping also. They do not have the other features available to them unless the have a device registered to the Prime holders account

I am planning on keeping the Prime membership when it is due again. With the Kindle Fire it is an asset. I also have Netflix which just expands my viewing ability. There is so much I can watch from both Netflix and Amazon that we canceled our cable service. I can see the weather on the Weather Channel app and have the news comining to my Facebook account. So I am covered as far as being informed and entertained.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 10:55:16 PM PST
Sue says:
It says in the information that you can only borrow ONE book EACH calander month. That is 12 books you do not have to buy to read. I do not understand how that is misleading.

I suppose if you are a fast reader you could go through more than one book a month. I am not a fast reader so I do not see a probem.

If you run out of books to read, you should check out the daily free books that Amazon offers. Some of them are really good and plus the price is right. They also have books for .99 and 1.99. You have to look for them but it is worth it.

As far as the free shipping, I have not found that many items that are not eligible for free shipping. I guess it depends what you are looking for. Usually items sold by 3rd party sellers do not qualify and you do not get it in 2 days. I have had that happen also.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (808 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  101
Total posts:  167
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions