Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

So sad, I dropped my Kindle and broke the screen. Do I get........

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 112 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2011 1:49:15 PM PDT
Robin Smith says:
So sad, I dropped my Kindle and broke the screen. Do I get a new one or fix my old one? Second question, if I get a new one, will all of my existing content easily download from Amazon? I have had this one for 2 years and know the new one is better.

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 2:16:17 PM PDT
There is no cost-effective way to fix a broken Kindle screen; they are a large portion of the cost of the device. You might try calling Kindle customer service and explaining what happened, however; they may offer you a discount on a new one. Don't worry about transferring your content to a new device. All you have to do is register it to your account (actually it comes registered if you order it new from Amazon) and download your purchases from the Archived Items.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2011 4:14:27 PM PDT
K. Adams says:
Actually I just dropped my new Kindle and the screen is broken. I am so disappointed and mad a myself.

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 9:35:08 AM PDT
I lost my Kindele 2 wks ago, can I get deal on a new one.
DC. FL

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 12:59:58 PM PDT
JES says:
@Donald you can't get a deal on a new kindle if you lost your old kindle. There isn't any company that would offer a deal for something you lost.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 6:04:42 PM PDT
i just got a new one today after 3 years of having my old one. everything transfers so easy. it wouldn't be worth the $85 to fix your old one.

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 6:47:17 PM PDT
Sara says:
If i buy my ten year old a kindle, do I register it in her name or mine? Id like it in her name under my account is that possible you think?

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 4:58:19 AM PDT
L L. says:
Amazon is replacing many accidental claims, even on out of warranty kindles. THey are always giving a discounted price on a replacement. And Sara, if you buy a child a kindle you can name it anything you want, but if it's on your account it is your kindle account also.l

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 7:18:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2011 7:23:34 AM PDT
Have dropped my kindle a couple of times but fortunately with no problem. When took it out of my briefcase to use it last week the index had dropped half way down the page and the upper portion of the page is simply put, a mess. My question is, how do I retrieve the books that are on my kindle that I have not archived. I would like to put them on my PC until I get another kindle. Who do I notify at Amazon about the problem with my kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 7:57:24 AM PDT
L L. says:
the customer service number is listed on many posts and on the back of your quick start guide. You can also use the call me bck option. go to help or manage my kindle , kindle support, most any page has these links on them. The books that are on your kindle and not archived are still on your amazon account, you cannot simply put them on your pc unless you install the kindle for pc app. After you install it and register it to your amazon account, all your amazon books will show up in the archives. You will have to download them one by one to your kindle for pc. It doesn't matter if they were archived on your kindle or not. They are all on amazon all of the time. YOur archives is just a LIST of books that aren't on that specific kindle at that time.

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 9:10:36 PM PDT
tkhula says:
Call the customer service number.. they'll give you a super deal. I'm now on Kindle number 2 myself and if they hadn't offered me the deal I probably wouldn't have done it. But man was it a great deal. Love my new kindles even if the buttons on the side are too small.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 1:59:55 AM PDT
I had a broken screen on my out-of-warranty kindle and called Amazon customer service just to make sure that was the problem (not a software issue) and if they would give me a break on buying a new one. They immediately said they would be sending me a new one free of charge and gave me instructions for returning the broken one and transferring my material. You have got to love Amazon! Of course I am an avid reader and they probably take a look at my account and realize how much money they are making off of me. In any case it is extraordinary customer service at a time when customer service seems to be dwindling at so many companies. Great service AMAZON!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 7:05:20 AM PDT
Bren says:
I dropped my Kindle on garage cement floor & broke screen. It was only 6 months old. BUT since it was my fault rather than a "Kindle defect", the damage wasn't under warranty so I just purchased another Kindle, which I received few days ago! Kindlewurm is correct. It is an easy process. My new Kindle arrived already registered to me & with all of my previously purchased books in "Archived Items" for me to download for free. Then, I deregistered my old Kindle. It is VERY easy procedure. Also, "Kindle support" will give you any help that you need. Yes, just buy a new Kindle. You will luv it! I didn't request a cheaper price; I have no idea whether or not they will consider it!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2011 9:57:25 AM PDT
Lisa Gallin says:
I did the same thing after having mine for only 6 months. I called customer service and they replaced it at no charge. Give them a call.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2011 10:53:40 AM PDT
Mary K says:
I broke mine (stepped on it) and bought a new one-was very easy to get all of my old content tranferred to my new one, in a matter of minutes. Mine was only 1 year old, but I am glad I went with a new one-just a bit of adjusting to the location of the 5 way button but other new features were really handy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2011 10:57:01 AM PDT
Mary K says:
You should have an amazon account already (if you download your content to your kindle it automatically goes to your amazon account) You should have had to have an account and register your kindle when you bought it. I just had to replace my kindle and it was super easy to download my content to my new one

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 9:58:11 PM PDT
I received a Kindle for my birthday about two weeks ago. My daughter (certainly "techie-er!" than I am) helped me to set it up. We spent about an hour & a half downloading content, setting up, etc. She said then that there was someting wrong with my unit. Sure enough, two weeks later, it stopped completely. And, no, at this point, I didn't have a cover of any type. (I've since bought an M-Edge cover and also an M-Edge booklight, & they're both great!) but I had no problem at all, turning my Kindle back into Best Buy, who agreed immediately that my original was defective. I look forward to many years of enjoyment with my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 3:10:20 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 11:25:30 AM PDT
kalene says:
My screen on my kindle is done for but i have not even had it a year. So my question is does the one year warrenty that comes with it cover broken screens?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 7:44:11 PM PDT
L L. says:
It is up to the rep you talk to . They are replacing most accidents free right now. Occasionally they say no, but I was told by two reps it is current policy to allow one accident. I didn't take any chances and bought a 3 year square trade accident warranty for 20.00. I am positive my kindle won't last 3 years without some mishap and they will send me a check to buy a new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 11:53:55 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 12:06:27 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 11:20:17 AM PDT
L L. says:
Not true, if it's under warranty and sometimes even if it's not, amazon has been replacing damaged kindles for free most of the time. THey told me it was the current policy when I broke mine. I made my own sturdy easel style cover using recycled hard back books , so I do not need any kiind of strap. It wouldn't have helped anyway. ,I dropped a metal object on the screen, chipping the glass and damaging the eink. I now have a screen protector which helps.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 8:57:08 AM PDT
Canuck says:
Egads -- I hope nothing happens to mine since I bought it from Target.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 2:15:54 PM PDT
Yes, it's possible, I bought one for my sis and she is registered in my account, saves her lots as we read the same books, if she wants to buy one she just has to re-direct the default credit card to hers.
Easy peasy.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (824 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  78
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  Apr 10, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions