Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

Kindle2 power cord fell apart

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1499 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2010 11:33:55 AM PDT
jedimasterqg says:
Two days ago, I noticed a chip in my power cord and when I touched it, the plastic covering of the cord began to fall off, exposing the wire. Has this happened to anyone? I have a Kindle2-bought when they first came out.
I put the cord in a plastic bag and even the slightest touch will cause the plastic to crumble. This could have potentially been a fire hazard.

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 11:55:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 4, 2010 11:56:17 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 11:56:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 4, 2010 11:56:57 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 4:07:11 PM PDT
don2dimes says:
this happened to me as well about a week ago I had to order another one.

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 8:07:25 PM PDT
Su Co says:
It happened to me also, first it fell off the plug end and then on the Kindle end. It seems to be only the external covering, there seems to be a coating on the inside wires. I put electrical tape on it until I got a new one. I am keeping the old one for back up. I have had cables for my computers and other electronic gear and I don't remember having to replace one in 30 years and the Amazon Kindle cable is pricey.

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 12:40:34 AM PDT
bon vivant says:
I pulled out my power cord to charge my Kindle and the plastic coating was all cracked and flaking off and the metal wire was exposed. I had used the power cord about a month ago and it seemed fine, but now the coating over the wire has totally degenerated and fallen away from the wire. I agree that this could be a fire hazard.

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 4:24:44 AM PDT
griffenw says:
Purchased this Amazon Kindle Replacement Power Adapter in Apr 2010; in 3 months (late July) the cord insulation at both ends began to crumble. I taped over the ends to slow the deterioration. Now in September the crumbling of the insulation is migrating toward the middle of the cord. This cable (being a spare) has not had particularly hard use. The original power cord of the Kindle 2 is holding up without fault. How many others have had this problem?
Amazon Kindle Replacement Power Adapter (Works with 6", 9.7" Display, 2nd and Latest Generation Kindles)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2010 1:05:46 PM PDT
L. Lawton says:
Yes, I'm having the same problem. I first noticed a crack near the plug, now a piece of the covering is missing in two places and there are cracks in the plactic near the end you plug into the Kindle. This is a huge dissappointment. I have no confidence that a replacement cord will be any better. Anyone have this problem with a replacement cord?

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 5:58:15 PM PDT
John in KC says:
Yes, I had this problem also, at about 1 year old. Replaced the cord.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 12:32:27 PM PDT
Janet Onopa says:
Just happened to me, too. And as it is proprietary, not available in airport shops anywhere. Pain in the neck!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 6:21:18 PM PDT
This happened to me too about 2 weeks ago. I decided today to order another but I have never had to replace any of my power cords before. I feel it is a fire hazard. I am really disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 8:00:28 PM PDT
I have had the same problem. My cord has spit about 1 1/2 inches in two places. How do I get a replacement?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 6:03:25 AM PDT
J. DiCicco says:
I have experienced the same thing. I sent Kindle an e-mail and I got an "I am sorry, but..." response.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 11:42:01 AM PDT
Yes, I purchased my Kindle2 the day they became available. My power cord started "disintegrating" about 3 months ago. At first I thought my dog got a hold of it, but then I realized there was no way and then the covering started coming off in different places...I would not leave it plugged in unless I was right there to watch, due to fire hazard possibility...I was just getting ready to order another one, when I dropped my Kindle2 and it broke. ;(...Fortuneately I had purchased the extended warranty and it was replaced along with a new power cord.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 11:43:19 AM PDT
you have to order one.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 12:49:20 PM PDT
Same Here. I am based in Bangalore so all I have now is the bare wire. Very poor quality product from Amazon.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 1:46:39 PM PDT
My cord just "cracked up", I looked at it last week and it was fine. I never really used it that much. They need to find out what's going on with these cords since it's happening to a lot of people

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 7:19:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2010 7:20:43 AM PDT
I have had my Kindle2 for about one (1) year and the same problem has happened to my power cord. I have the entended warrenty and have contacted Kindle and they told me to order a new one from the Kindle store an they would refund any money I put out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 7:35:55 AM PDT
griffenw says:
What phone# did you call or wazir an email address? Thankyou.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 10:33:47 AM PDT
J. DiCicco says:
Follow the link to Contact Kindle http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sv_kinh_8?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470
If you get a free replacement from them, please let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 1:12:48 PM PDT
I noticed the same thing. Now half the plastic covering on my cord is off.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 2:23:56 PM PDT
B. Christian says:
I now have a black power cord. Electrical tape does a good job.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 4:31:02 PM PDT
E. flanagan says:
Oh yeah, I've got this problem too. My Kindle 2 was one of the ones shipped on orders for Kindle 1 when Amazon ran out. The cord was just fine and never removed from the place it lived by my bed. The cord covering just started to disintegrate one night as I plugged it into my Kindle at lights out. Electrical tape is on there now, but as the problem is next to the coupling for the device, it doesn't stay in place well. I am ordering a new cord today but will inform Amazon of the problem at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 7:26:53 PM PDT
L. Lawton says:
I did the electrical tape too, but I used white. two layers. We'll see how long this lasts. I'm still not leaving it plugged in unattended.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2010 5:01:04 PM PDT
My cord is also falling apart. It is crumbling in several places. I just noticed it today and am wondering if Amazon is replacing these or not, has anyone heard anything?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 60 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (808 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  1006
Total posts:  1499
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 52 customers

Search Customer Discussions