Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

USB Cable for Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2012 1:24:11 PM PST
What is the difference between the charging Cable and the Micro USB Cable?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 3:57:41 PM PST
None! They are both Micro B US cables.

Same as found on many smart cell phones these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 3:59:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2012 3:59:39 PM PST
Double post!

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 5:53:04 PM PST
Then why does it say cable is sold separately! Shouldn't there be a charger included? Therefore you have the micro B US cable! ...or am I missing something here?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 7:18:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2012 7:20:15 PM PST
Because many people already have this Micro USB cable from their old Kindle or their cell phone.

Plus you can plug the other end into a normal USB port on a laptop/PC to charger it.

To charge it from a power point be it 110 or 240 volt all that is needed is an adaptor plug. Again which many old Kindle owners already have.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 8:21:42 AM PST
...getting to the point...I wouldn't need to purchase another USB (Micro) Cable:
1. A charger (Micro USB Cable) does come with the Kindle Fire
2. I have the USB Cable from my 3rd generation Kindle

The manuel is a bit missleading as I am not in tune with "techie" talk...but trying! Thank you for you help!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 12:30:13 PM PST
Elizabeth A. Hunt says:...getting to the point...I wouldn't need to purchase another USB (Micro) Cable:
1. A charger (Micro USB Cable) does come with the Kindle Fire
2. I have the USB Cable from my 3rd generation Kindle

Then you have all you need. Especially if you have the New Premium USB Wall Charger Adapter with USB to Dock Connector Cable for Iphone 4 or the one that you got with your 3rd Gen Kindle.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 6:59:27 PM PST
C. Hall says:
Sounds like complicated answers to a simple question. With my Kindle Fire only a charger was included. If you want to connect it to a computer you need a USB cable that is not included in the box. Or am I missing something?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 7:10:48 PM PST
It is not a charger! It is simply an adaptor to connect USB cable to wall socket be it 110 0r 240 volt.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 8:26:50 AM PST
Maybe I am more confused then previously...but how do they expect you to charge the Kindle Fire without a USB Cable (connected to the adaptor)! I am comparing the unit to my 3rd Gen. Kindle where the adaptor has a USB Cable which can also be pluged into my computer. How then, does the adaptor attach to the Fire? Is it just a regular corded adaptor? Amazon would have been smart to just supply the USB type cable w/adaptor. I would believe most people hook into their computers for one reason or another! Atleast it would have alleviated this discussion! hum ...another product to have to purchase...profit! Just trying to put all my ducks in a row so to speak before making the purchase! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 8:39:44 AM PST
Liangjun Hu says:
Hi, girl, the Micro USB cable is for data transfer and plug-in recharge; while the charging cable is only for charging with a dead adapter. And the Kindle fire USB is not a usual one,but Micro-B USB. There is also Mini B USB, with 8 pins, 5 pins, etc, standard USB,,,,. Complexing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 10:42:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 10:44:37 AM PST
L. Leverton says:
The fire comes with a wall charger. IT doesn't have the usb part on the end, it's totally plug in. You still need a micro usb cable if you want to plug it in to your computer to transfer data. The wall charger puts out more power, the usb cable doesn't put out enough charging power. WHen I plugged my sons into the computer, it didn't charge at all. All the kindles from kindle 2 on, take the micro cable. If you have the kindle 3, just use the cable that came with it. I myself have 8 in the house and car that go with our cellphones and cameras. I have one plugged in every room and in my car.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 11:07:39 AM PST
does anyone know where to locate the computer device driver for the kindle fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 1:19:50 PM PST
L. Leverton says:
There isn't one. Computers automatically ask for one when you plug anything in, my kindle, my cellphone, etc. Just close the box and ignore it. THe kindle acts as a usb flashdrive and you cannot put something like a device driver on it.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 4:07:39 PM PST
Barbara Lamb says:
Is there a HDMI cable for the Fire - I would like to play movies on the TV?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 4:46:09 PM PST
No!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 3:24:25 AM PST
L. Leverton says:
You can't hook the fire up to anything but a computer to transfer media.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 9:36:43 AM PST
jaydbee says:
For tablets and newer smartphones (i.e. Galaxy Nexus), the bigger batteries need higher output chargers. A 'regular' usb micro cable charges at 500 mA which is too small. What is needed is a 2.1 A usb charger (if you want to charge in a car) AND a usb CHARGING cable. The only mfr that i know of from other forums is naztech, Amazon has them for $4.99. Or if you're up to the task, you can cut a regular usb micro cable and short out the green/white wires. Look up xda developers forums for help. Blame Apple for this one. They decided not to use USB standards and usb cable mfr's followed them. Now, everyone with an Android based tablet or smartphone has to buy a special usb charging cable to charge from a computer or car.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 9:47:40 AM PST
jaydbee says:
Btw, if you want to sync data, you'll need to use a regular micro usb cable. The data wires are shorted together in the charging cable, thereby ' tricking' your kindle fire that its getting ac power, not data. ANY micro usb cable with inner pins not shorted will default to a 500mA charging status. You will still NOT CHARGE properly even with a 2.1A usb charger. I hope i didn't confuse too many people. Android Central has a good forum with this topic. Look up Galaxy Nexus car charging issue if there are any questions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 12:19:04 PM PST
Great post jaydbee!

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 12:29:53 PM PST
I have an android phone that will serve as a WiFi hot spot for other WiFi devices when connected by cable to the phone. Will the Kindle work with my phone, provided I can find the appropriate cable?

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 12:50:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 1:50:13 PM PST
jaydbee says:
You don't need a cable for wifi. But yes, you can use your smartphone as a wifi hotspot for your Fire. The phone's wifi name will show up in the Kindle Fire wifi settings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 1:56:13 PM PST
jaydbee says:
Thanks. I found this out yesterday. Everytime I turned on the GPS, my Galaxy Nexus would stop charging. I googled it and found that any Android tablet or new smartphone will have the same problem with a non-modified usb cable.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 8:02:49 PM PST
rickiemcd says:
Does the Kindle Fire have a USB port???

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 11:07:08 PM PST
jaydbee says:
it has a micro usb port that is used for syncing data with your computer. Its also used as the charging port for your Kindle Fire
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (816 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
kindle won't turn off 219 4 days ago
can you add memory to Kindle Fire? 141 5 days ago
Deleting PDF files from Kindle Fire 39 12 days ago
Transfer pictures to the Fire 26 Apr 14, 2015
Kindle battery 26 Apr 4, 2015
Kindle 2 complication 8 Apr 1, 2015
De-synchronization 0 Mar 21, 2015
did not receive book ordered on kindle 16 Mar 12, 2015
Kindle charger doesn't work 73 Mar 11, 2015
Sharing Books 1 Feb 22, 2015
How long does it take to download book via 3G? 13 Feb 22, 2015
Protecting a kindle paperwhite from sand 0 Feb 19, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Jan 23, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions