Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

Multiple Kindles - Separate Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2010 8:35:59 AM PST
Firstly, it drives me crazy that you cannot permanently delete books. This makes no sense...I just purchased a third Kindle for a child and it appears, that all my books loaded on the Kindle in the archive. OK, so now I have a child that has access to all books with a simple step. Amazon, if we register these units with different names, we should be able to control what books go to what Kindle. Does anyone have any ideas? Do I have to deregister and create a new account for the new Kindle? Thank you in advance!

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 1:17:02 PM PST
Nequaine says:
Seems like you should be able to manage content separately and securely for multiple kindles from a master account.

This is related to my issue - I've purchased kindles for my two teenagers, but I don't want them to be able to purchase books instantly on my credit card for the account. If you don't want that, sounds like there needs to be separate accounts for each kid each with their own credit card? This makes no sense. Apple has a much better system where anyone can have an iTunes account but it doesn't have to be attached to a credit card. Users can get products via gift certificates, in this case, parents can provide gift certificates to their children for purchases.

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 6:15:37 PM PST
Thanks Peter. I just deregistered it and setup a separate account. Maybe someone will listen if enough people share their feedback. Having seperate accounts also restricts you from sharing books. We love our Kindle's but there is some room for improvement.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2010 12:33:44 PM PST
Nequaine says:
I handled this by separate accounts for each child, but without a credit card or debit card specified for the child's account:

1. Set up child separately with their own individual account.
2. Set up a 1-Click billing address for the child's individual account (address and phone only, do not specify a payment method).
3. Actually enable 1-Click Billing by checking the box on the screen. This is important. (Since no credit/debit card is associated with the account, 1-Click Billing will only execute against the gift card credit balance.)
4. Parent issues gift certificate to child.
5. Child credits gift certificate to their account, using their workstation (PC or Mac).
6. Child can now purchase content directly from the Kindle and will see only their own purchases. (Note: Purchases can also be made from the child's PC or Mac, which will then sync to the Kindle, even if 1-Click billing has not been enabled.)

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 3:55:20 PM PST
How can you share books between two kindles. If we deregisgter one kindle and register it to the other account, will we lose the books downloaded on the kindle we deregister

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2010 4:31:04 PM PST
You can't share books amongst kindles that I know of.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 4:22:38 PM PST
Julie Homka says:
Is there any way to share an e-book with my daughter? We each got a kindle for x-mas and would rather not buy 2 of each book.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 4:43:05 PM PST
bookaholic says:
I want my kids to be able to purchase books whenever they want, but I don't necessarily want them to read the same books I do. This seems too complicated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 6:51:50 PM PST
KaMac says:
You can register your daughter's Kindle under your account or vice versa. It's under Manage Your Kindle. According to what I read today you can register and share an ebook with up to 6 Kindles. If your daughter has collections or books or vice versa you can add them to the other. See the section under the users guide - adding collection from another Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 7:44:53 PM PST
Sylvia Barr says:
When I buy books from my computer it asks which Kindle to send them too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 8:33:55 PM PST
Brenda says:
At the risk of sounding cranky, these issues are addressed in the Kindle User's guide.
My Kindle is only 1 week old. I am constantly referring to the Guide to find out "how-to".

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 1:11:54 PM PST
Jules12 says:
I think it has something to do with the "sync" option. I have my daughter and my kindle on the same account. I originally had them synced and all my content was loaded onto her Kindle. I have since turned that feature off and I don't notice any additional items being in her archive when I have purchased new books. This also will prevent you from messing up the page numbers when you both are reading the same book. Note: I have only had this since Christmas so I am a newbie but this seemed to fix my problem. If my daughter clicks on the archive from her kindle even if it says 0 available, it will pull down the books she hasn't read. I just told her not to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 3:08:46 PM PST
Yes, yes you do!

I understand your frustration because I am in the same shoes.
Good luck

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2011 5:12:39 PM PST
Saunders says:
I got this info from the internet. It worked for me.
How to delete books permanently from your Kindle account:

Go to Amazon, click on My Account, sign in and scroll down to Manage Your Kindle. Toward the bottom of the page you will find a section called Your Orders. By default these will be listed chronologically with the latest order first. To change that to the earliest order first, click on the arrow under Order Date. Or you can sort them by title or author alphabetically with a few caveats: (1) It sorts by the author's first name (2) When sorting by title, it uses a, an, the as part of the title. Thus you will find The Blind Side with the Ts, not with the Bs. Nevertheless, you will be able to locate what you want to delete, one way or another.

Find the book you wish to delete and click on the plus sign before the title. This brings up a box with some options, one of which is Delete this Title. If you click that, it warns you that the deletion is permanent and should you want the book back, you will have to buy it again. If you still want to delete it, click OK. It takes a moment for the site to digest this and then you are back where you started with your latest purchase listed first. If you have a lot of books to delete this can become tedious, but liberating if this is something you have been wanting to do. For me it was.

While trying to delete books from their Kindle accounts, some have encountered problems which appear to be browser related. If you run into a problem, refresh your browser, or better yet, try Firefox. Many have said everything works fine for them with Firefox whereas it did not with Internet Explorer. Not a problem for me because I have a Mac.
Posted by Mary McManus

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 8:09:30 PM PDT
Turtlebet says:
Instead of doing all that, when you get to "Manage my Kindle" you will see the Titles of all your books. On the right side is a button "action" click on that and one of the items will be "delete from library". It will then be removed from your device.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2012 9:23:04 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 6:59:42 PM PDT
kelly m says:
I actually read older posts to get answers to my questions so I think responses are always helpful even if the original post is old.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 2:28:40 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
The problem is that Kindles change, the software is updated, and an answer that worked a year and a half ago may or may not work now.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:20:48 AM PST
I agree that I shouldnt have to have separate accounts to separate the books. Just got a 3rd kindle for youngest child and sure enough everything in our kindle library shows up in archived items and are available to download. I should be able to control this from main account and dont see any way to do this.

Posted on May 19, 2013 9:20:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2013 9:23:11 PM PDT
C. Sansom says:
Are you kidding? This problem has not been fixed or addressed in current upgrades to Kindle software. Not being able to delete books from your Kindle accounts has been addressed, but this problem was only a 'secondary' issue since there was no way to segregate books from different Kindle's on the same account. Read the title of the thread "Multiple Kindle's Separte Books".

The original problem was (and still is because Amazon has NOT provided a solution) how to have ALL of your family's books on one Kindle account, yet segregate titles you may deem as adult from being able to be downloaded to your children's Kindle's. Ummm Hello, this seems like a basic design requirement. What is being asked for is for the ability to buy a book like lets say '50 Shades of Gray', and be able to designate that I do NOT want my children's Kindle's accessing it. Hardly seems like a feature that would be difficult to implement, heck even my ancient series 2 Tivo received a 'Kids Zone' upgrade a decade ago. Instead we are left with clumsy 'work arounds' where we have to create secondary Amazon accounts to put the children's Kindle's on and then have no way to send already purchased childrens books from the main account over to the Children's.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2013 8:39:39 PM PDT
Michele says:
I completely agree with Samson. I've been waiting for over a year for this upgrade and am now loading another iPad device for my son and came to this blog hoping there was a fix and am in shock that it still doesn't work easily. I want to take my library if 20 kids books and put them under one account that my sn and daughter share and NOT let them see my 50 Shades book (oh my!!). How could the great Amazon not have this done years ago? My son started reading The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo book unbeknownst to me and I almost had heart failure! I forgot I even had that in my library. C'mon AMZN get it together please!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2013 9:28:10 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Amazon doesn't read messages in this forum. If you have a suggestion, send it to: kindle-feedback@amazon.com

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 5:29:16 AM PDT
So I've been trying to follow some of the posts here because I'm really frustrated. I recently purchased a Kindle for my 7 year old and she loves it just as much as I love mine. I would really like to have her on my account but every time I try it, all of my books download to her kindle. I would really like to fix this so I don't have 2 separate accounts. Can anyone help?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013 8:03:10 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Emily: if you look at the latest post column on the home page for this forum you'll notice that the frequency of posts is about one every two or three days. It is a VERY slow forum with an extremely low level of participation. You'll get a much better response to your questions in the very active, official Kindle Help Forum here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_bc_thread

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:08:36 PM PDT
Michelle J says:
The answer is quite simple. Got into your settings and set up parental controls. You can set it so that you can download books directly to their kindle but they can't order anything FROM their kindle and cant access the cloud. It's been great. Whenever i find something I think they'll like, i just download it from the computer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (824 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions