Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

Sharing books between 2 Kindles on different accounts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 299 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2015 6:35:00 AM PST
Peggy Oliver says:
If you have a traditional Kindle or Kindle Paper White you can de-register it from it's account and re-register it to a new account. All the content that is on the actual Kindle will remain on the Kindle. You can read what is on the Kindle, but it will not be backed-up. So, when you remove it from your device you will not have access to it again. If you have a Kindle Fire and you de-register it everything on the Fire will disappear. I do not know about gifting a used Kindle loaded with books, but it is not legal to sell a used Kindle with books still on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2015 10:34:00 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
With e-Ink Kindles (Basic, Paperwhite, and Voyage) any content downloaded to the device stays on the device when you deregister it and reregister it to a new account. The content does NOT transfer to the new account, so if you delete one of those "carry over" books, you can't get it back. It is against the licensing terms to give away or sell a Kindle to someone else with your content still on it. For Kindle Fire models, deregistering the device deletes all of the Kindle content on the device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2015 9:05:22 PM PST
Peggy Oliver says:
I also think you will not have access to your step mother's collection of books stored in the cloud once you de register the Kindle she gave you & reregister it under your account. However, I think the books that are already loaded on to the actual device you received from your step mother will stay on the device. Once you remove one of these books you will not have access to it again as it will be in your step mother's account. I think we have done this within my family. It doesn't work with the Fire. The minute we deregister a Fire everything on that device is lost. We have been sharing books among my husband, my three daughters, two sons-in-law, two grand-daughters and myself for 5-6 years now. When anyone purchases a book it comes from my account. The purchaser just sends me the money via PayPal; although if it is a book I planned to purchase I often just pay for it myself. We have tried gifting a book as well as paying for a book using a different credit card, but it is not as convenient as just ordering under the one-click feature. The only problem we have encountered is that occasionally a book can not be downloaded to all of our devices at one time. Each of us have more than one device. I have 4. My husband has five etc. a few months ago I ordered a book which could only be read by two devices at the same time. This is established by the publisher, and it is rather rare that we have any problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2015 4:40:28 PM PST
But if they reregister the kindle to their account, won't the downloaded content then be lost? As long as its deregistered the books stay on; it's the reregistering that's the problem, correct?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2015 4:29:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2015 4:46:14 PM PST
I thought if you deregistered a kindle with downloaded books and then reregistered it to a new account, the content would be erased?

My step mother gave me her kindle paper white and I want to keep her books but deregister it from her acct and register it to mine. I think I'll lose her books when I do this.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2015 1:13:21 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
You DO NOT have to be on the same account to loan Kindle books to other people. If someone has a device registered to your account, you can share all of the books on your account with that person. You can loan some (not many) Kindle books to people on other accounts one time only, ever, for 14 days, as set by the publishers, not Amazon. For details on how to do that go here: http://amazon.com/kindle-lending

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 7:39:30 PM PDT
Peggy Oliver says:
I understand these feelings. I have always justified the cost of a book by sharing it with 4 children & their spouses, one adult grand-daughter & my husband. Even a hardback best seller is not unreasonable if you divide the cost among 11 people. We are all on one account tied to my credit card. I make most of the book selections. When someone else purchased a book they said the money to me via PayPal. We have been doing this for 6-7 years and it works well for us. Our reading areas have grown wider as we sample things we would not have purchased. At big family dinners we can all discuss a book we all have read. This does not work for family members using the Fire. We seem to use the Kindles for reading & the Fire for watching videos and playing games. I also have a spare Kindle which I occasionally load with a specific book I want to share with a good friend. You have to be able to trust the people with access to your account. It has never been a problem. Another advantage is that three or four people can usually read the book at the same time. The family finishes a book more quickly. The Kindle eliminates the difficulty of sharing books with people who are far away. Our children are scattered from the Atlantic to the Pacific. No one has to remember to wrap the book and mail it, and we never hear the excuse that the book was lost or eaten by the family dog. I absolutely love sharing my Kindle purchased with those I love. The only potential downside is that everyone in the family can see what you are reading. Our grand-daughter went through a teen-age phase when she read only trashy romantic novels. I was overcome with curiosity and purchased ashamed of Grey. We really believe it is healthier to share our interests, but if any of us had an interest in something obscene using a group Kindle account would reveal that someone was buying a book. Since I manage the financial transactions I would be the only one to know the specific person. I love almost everything about my Kindle. We are retired and travel frequently for long periods of time. I no longer have to devote one entire suitcase to books. I feel more ownership with my Kindle books than I do with the books I used to buy. We could have never owned a house with a room large enough to hold every book we have read. Books would accumulate in corners and stacks under the bed. At least twice a year I would gather them up & sell them at the used book store. Because I could not possibly have enough space to store them I couldn't keep them. Now that my library is in the cloud I never regret giving away any book. I own them for life.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2015 6:55:46 PM PDT
Mema says:
Agreed. I bought three Kindle's, one for myself & two sisters. All three of us are hundreds of miles apart. Would be nice to share with family. We pay for it, why don't e own it, just like we would a paperback. Not cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2015 5:20:36 PM PDT
I feel the same way. I have family who love to read and we can't share books. Wish that Amazon would look at a different option for sharing. I also get books via the internet through my public library. Neat way to support the library but you don't have to stop in all the time to get a book.

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 4:05:01 PM PDT
Sheila Shope says:
It is so wrong that you have to be on the same account as someone that you want to lend your books to! I bought the book! I have always shared traditional books that I have bought! I suppose it is about the almighty dollar though!

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 11:46:40 AM PST
Peggy Oliver says:
Books are purchased under one account. Any devices registered to that account have access
to the books on that account; although there may be some restriction on the number of devices that can read the same book at the same time. In general, however, a book may be shared among all devices registered to a specific account.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2015 9:41:41 AM PST
C. Elmhirst says:
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THE BOOK CAN BE SHARED?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2014 1:26:11 PM PDT
Peggy Oliver says:
No it is not possible to separate books to individual readers if they are purchased under one account. Whatever you have in the cloud is available to anyone who has access to your cloud. In your case it appears to be your immediate family. My family of three adult daughters and one grand-daughter as well as my husband and myself share the same account. We have access to whatever books anyone on the account orders. We do not have identical tastes in reading material. I rarely read the books my grand-daughter enjoys. We do however, share enough books that it makes sense for us to maintain our family collection under one account. Just because your daughter has a book that does not interest your son does not mean that he is forced to read it. It does not even need to be on his device. I guess none of us have ever felt the need to keep our reading choices private. We actually have many discussions around books that we share. If personal privacy on your own device is critical to you each member of your family needs to have his/her own account.

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 4:49:43 AM PDT
I know that all my kindles are registered to the same account for sharing purposes, but I would like to know if Amazon prime software is smart enough to let each individual owner in a family (same registered Daddy's account) could has his/her own privacy for what he/she read. For sure, my teenage boy does not want his sister share his kindle books? Can anyone tell me if we could do it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2014 7:52:57 AM PDT
meri says:
She might not can have it both ways, maybe she can be on your account and cancel her current one and open a new one later with a different payment method, just a thought. You know mom, she might like to read some smut she doesn't want you to know about and wouldn't want it sent to both kindles, have you given any thought to this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2014 1:03:49 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
No. A Kindle can only be registered to one account at a time.

If you look at the latest post column on the home page for this forum you'll notice that the frequency of posts is about one every two or three days. It is a VERY slow forum with an extremely low level of participation. You'll get a much better response to your questions in the very active, official Kindle Help Forum here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_bc_thread

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 10:17:34 AM PDT
Can I put my daughter on my account but she can have a separate account also and can she put me on her account so then we can share on each other's Kindles?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2014 1:54:08 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
If you look at the latest post column on the home page for this forum you'll notice that the frequency of posts is about one every two or three days. It is a VERY slow forum with an extremely low level of participation. You'll get a much better response to your questions in the very active, official Kindle Help Forum here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_bc_thread

Posted on May 9, 2014 1:59:12 AM PDT
Glo says:
My kindle app on my iPad has frozen. I have an old iPad and it will not install the recent update of kindle. I cannot access my books at all. If I bought a kindle reading device would I be able to retrieve my books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2014 4:26:12 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Pamela, if you look at the latest post column on the home page for this forum you'll notice that the frequency of posts is about one every two or three days. It is a VERY slow forum with an extremely low level of participation. You'll get a much better response to your questions in the very active, official Kindle Help Forum here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_bc_thread

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 7:56:29 PM PDT
Pamela Gray says:
How do I register to my friend's account so I can read some of her books? I have her permission to do whatever I need to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2014 6:07:25 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
The general restriction is that you can download a Kindle book to up to 6 devices/apps registered to an account at the same time. If the restriction is fewer, it will say so in the product details section on the product page for the book, something like this:

File Size: 29833 KB
Print Length: 576 pages
Simultaneous Device Usage: Up to 2 simultaneous devices, per publisher limits <--------- HERE
Publisher: Pearson; 4 edition (April 13, 2011)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B005HAWLNW
Text-to-Speech: Not enabled
X-Ray for Textbooks: Enabled
Lending: Not Enabled

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2014 8:38:37 AM PST
Peggy Oliver says:
There are restrictions on some books regarding the number of
readers who can read it at the same time. Last month I purchased
a book by an author whom everyone in our family likes. It
was sent to my Paperwhite & my husband downloaded it to
his iPad. When my daughter tried to put it on her Fire she received
a message that we had exceeded the number of readers
allowed for that book. When I finished I returned the book to
the Archive & then my daughter was able to read it. This does
not happen often, but we have experienced it a few times. I
suspect it may be a restriction established by the published at
the request of the author. I really don't know, but I do know you
cannot always count on having multiple members read the
same book at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2014 7:56:33 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
Got it, thanks for the clarification. The ability to share Kindle books with multiple family members so we can all read the same book at the same time is a HUGE advantage.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2014 7:24:54 PM PST
Peggy Oliver says:
Yes. I understand this so I must have been unclear. We generally turn this off, particularly if more than one of us is reading the same book at the same time. We also generally turn it off so the shared highlights are not there. The previous poster seemed to think this was a disadvantage. My post was only to state that we find this no different than what we do with regular books, particularly those we obtain from a regular library.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (823 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  128
Total posts:  299
Initial post:  May 12, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers

Search Customer Discussions