Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

Kindle charger doesn't work

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2011 5:25:43 AM PDT
Karen Caron says:
My charger doesn't work anymore. Haven't had it that long. When I plugged it in the amber light came on but when I went back to look to see if it was charged, no green light and the kindle says the battery critical. How do I know if it's the charger or the kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2011 8:54:12 AM PDT
Lee Combs says:
Have you tried connecting to your computer's usb port? If the green light comes on it's likely your wall adopter. the same thing happened to me. Bad wall plug.

Posted on May 9, 2011 6:53:19 PM PDT
Evelyn says:
I am using a mini-usb charger from an old cell phone with no problem. Instead of replacing these defective Kindle chargers with new, identically-constructed Kindle chargers, why not pick up a phone charger with a mini-usb tip? Cheaper, too!

Posted on May 10, 2011 1:40:26 AM PDT
My phone charger fits my kindle. Handy when my phone runs low and I havn't got the charger. Never leave the house without my kindle.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 9:03:32 AM PST
Although my Kindle is 2 years old, I rarely use it (only when I travel). However, I went to recharge it yesterday and it wouldn't accept the charge. Same thing as Buffy stated above. (by the way, I just recharged it about 3 months ago, when I was going on a trip and all was good) I've tried different wall outlets and my phone mini USB charger. I also tried connecting to my computer. Nothing works. Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 11:43:03 AM PST
I have the same post as Buffy and Sherri. My Kindle won't take a charge. Kindle a year old. Tried the usb port. No charge.
Appreciate any input. I use the kindle daily.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 4:06:00 AM PDT
adik! says:
I have my Kindle my kindle's charger wont work when i pluged it on

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 7:19:18 AM PDT
Hey Everyone,
I had the same issue with my Fire the last few das and was getting frantic at the thought of having t return my Fire! I would have to have it surgically removed from my hand first! Anyway, it sounds like ya'll are like me and didn't try the troubleshoot page. It says to do a "Hard Reboot", hold the power button for 20 seconds. Wait a minute and reboot. Presto! Charger works again! I was sure it was a broken connection iside the case and tried all different ways to apply pressure or hang it just right! Did the "Hard Reboot" and fired it up and plugged it in and back was the orange charging light! Hallelujah!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 9:34:10 PM PDT
yeaa!Thank you I was having same issue with charger. holding the power button worked for me

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 2:04:48 PM PDT
I tried the power button doesn't work. Its so strange to charge it I have to plug the charger in and then tangle it around the kindle just to keep it on and it doesn't even really charge at all!! Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 4:46:37 AM PDT
Jessica Lamb says:
I have to do the same thing....I plug it in and I have to actually pull up on the cord and wrap it around the kindle to keep that "pull" on it. It may take several mins to just to get the charge light to come on but even with the light on it doesn't mean its actually charging. I tried holding the power button down as well and no luck for me either..so frustrating.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 12:10:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 12:12:10 PM PDT
charger does not work. amazon does not have a replacement. help

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 10:26:51 PM PDT
Sally says:
My kindle is running out of juice (battery is not lasting as long). Can I purchase a new battery at a local store like Best Buy. Or do I still have to order directly from Amazon and if so under what section do I find batteries. This will be the first time I have had to replace the battery since I purchased my original Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 12:59:31 PM PDT
Johanna says:
Does anyone know if the mini-usb chargers work when you go overseas, eg., to Germany, France, etc., and you just use a wall plug adapter (not transformer)? My MacBook charger worked with a simple plug adapter that I attached to my US plug, and then into the European wall socket.

Posted on May 15, 2012 5:40:00 AM PDT
Mystic says:
I have a kindle had little over two months and the charger or antithetic charger wont work but the Froissart.charger plz help!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:38:37 AM PDT
Robin Kersh says:
Oh. My God!
I was using my mom's Kindle Fire today and, by accident dropped it on the carpet. It was a 15% battery at the time and it was charging. When I dropped it, the charger light went off and it stopped charging. I tried replugging the USB cable into the Kindle and trying many other outlets but it still didn't work. So I tried rebooting it for 20 seconds. It took a couple minutes of jiggling the charger in but it finally worked with no troubles! I am so happy I didn't break it, because I probably would've been killed. Thanks so much, Scott!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 10:54:41 AM PDT
K.B. says:
Thank you. I have a computer nerd daughter. She plugged my kindle fire into a phone charger. It charges but the red to green lights quit working too. I will do the hard revolt to see if all goes back to normal. I didn't want to be without my newest enjoyment. Bless you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 11:35:47 AM PDT
K.B. says:
Thank you. I have a computer nerd daughter. She plugged my kindle fire into a phone charger. It charges but the red to green lights quit working too. I will do the hard revolt to see if all goes back to normal. I didn't want to be without my newest enjoyment. Bless you.

Posted on May 20, 2012 10:31:14 PM PDT
I have noticed that not too many people have posted problems with charging their kindle fire but enough for me too see I'm not the only one. I had received mine as a Xmas gift and within 2 months I had to call amazon tech support because mine wouldn't charge. I went thru the various possible solutions that are mentioned in this thread

Posted on May 20, 2012 10:33:29 PM PDT
& it didn't work. wound up getting a replacement a replacement kindle fire. I have the replacement one close to 3 months and am starting to have the same problem again. The charger that came with the replacement isn't working anymore. I had tried plugging in my phone's wall charger and that didn't work either. Tried the hard reboot and it wasn't getting me anywhere. Then I had plugged in my USB cord and noticed the orange light came on after about 5-8 minutes of being attached to my computer. What I have noticed with my experience with the original & replacement kindle fires is that where you plug in the mini-USB head into the kindle fire it feels loose, that if tugged on gently it will come out very easily. I have a feeling that when amazon comes out with a kindle fire 2 a lot of these problems with have the charging plugs worked out. Just wished they will figure out a solution to the problem now, I don't want to call amazon again & have to get a replacement for the replacement.

Posted on May 24, 2012 4:18:53 PM PDT
benjamin says:
Am sick and tied of this kindle issues

Posted on May 26, 2012 7:55:32 PM PDT
KAT says:
Same things happened to me! at first, (when i first got my kindle) i used the charger that came w/ it, but then about 3 months later it would only work if i wiggled it. then it was reduced to only working when i held it in place! i recently got a USB and have a wall adapter that i use and that was working for a while, but then i had to leave it alone for it to get a full charge, so i couldnt use it and charge it @ the same time. :( Yesterday my USB charger broke! so now im using the car charger and i just found the original wall charger. Its been pluged in for about 5-8 mins now and the amber light is on! so, my point in all this are these steps to possibly getting your charger to work again.
1) Plug your charger in to its charger (doesent matter what kind)
2) leave it be for about 5 mins
3) After those 5mins check to see if the ambe light is on
4) I advise you not turn it on to see if its charging because it will disrupt the charger (idk y) while charging
5) For best results, leave it plugged in til the next day
I know leaving it all alone overnight is hard for some of you (i used to stay up all night with it!) But after a while it gets better and u loose the habbit. Hope this helps! :)

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:40:29 PM PDT
Nikki.C says:
I have had my kindle for only a couple months but my charger is on and off. If i plug it in it works but if i even move it an inch it stops charging! what do i do?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 5:55:34 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Contact Customer Service by clicking on the Help link at the top of this page, then click on the "Contact Us" button.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 11:41:30 PM PDT
I too have started having charger problems. I bought my Fire about 7 months ago. I have bought 3 or 4 new chargers and wall plugs. They work for a day or two then nothing. Sometimes when I leave it overnight on the charger it still is the same as when I plugged it in. When it does charge, the battery life seems very short. I have started using my work iPad more & more and less Fire. Sounds to me like this charger issue might be a design flaw.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (812 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  May 9, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions