Books with Buzz Courage To Act by Ben S. Bernanke Learn more Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Joe Bonamassa All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

Kindle2 power cord fell apart

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 8:24:57 AM PST
peachy says:
Yes, I was just about to call Amazon to complain. Everytime i touch the cord more pieces fall off. the wires are almost completely exposed. I also put min in a plastic bag.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 9:14:48 AM PST
peachy says:
I will get a free power cord replacement to be rc'vd in 2 days. So call customer service and get yours. I want to know if i can get a better cord. I think this one will probably fall apart as well. Any suggestions? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 9:18:59 AM PST
K. Lee says:
I had the same problem--- it was fine for a long time and then suddenly it was like its expiration date had arrived--- the entire plastic covering became brittle, cracked and fell off. Amazon needs to talk to their vendor about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 10:42:06 AM PST
I too went to charge my kindle last evening and my power cord had a crack in it by morning it had cracked even more and the wires were totally exposed. Had to cover with electical tape til a new one can be purchased

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 4:04:12 PM PST
Pamela Wong says:
I just noticed this problem yesterday when I pulled the cord out. The insulation has cracked off at all the bends in the cord. From other users comments, I just called Kindle Support and they are were kind enough to offer a "promo code" to my account which will credit me for a new cord and shipping. Call them, they will replace it for free.

As well, I noticed that the Blackberry chargers can work as well, I have a Pearl 9100 and the plugs are the same.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 9:37:12 PM PST
Same problem.
It is just a really bad plastic mix. Maybe it's some kind of green plastic that will break down better in landfills but didn't get enough testing. Ultra violet light can do this to cords in high doses "like if you do a lot of welding near the cord" but my cord was in a drawer and wasn't exposed to any strong UV. I hope they didn't use the same plastic anywhere inside the actual Kindle. Fortunately I had an old camera charging cord with the same plug but Amazon should do a recall.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 10:05:04 PM PST
I just noticed the same problem with the cord that many others before me have had. Agree that it's in the areas that are bent but also occurring at the base of the part that plugs into the outlet - the wires are exposed and the casing is cracked! I'm planning to email and see what kind of response I receive.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 12:58:38 PM PST
Mine has totally disintegrated exposing the wire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 1:43:50 PM PST
The exact same thing happened to my Kindle power cord. Libby Frazier

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 6:41:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2010 6:43:24 PM PST
I just use a standard USB computer cable. It seems like everything I buy comes with a cigarette lighter/USB adapter or an AC/USB adapter. I just grab the nearest cable since it's the same plug/jack as my Droid, Bluetooth and most other MP3s that I have. I guess that I'm just lucky.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 7:09:35 PM PST
Same thing happened to my K cable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 8:52:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2010 9:07:29 AM PST
I just looked at my MP3 player's cord and it turns out that the large end is the same as any USB cord, but the small end (Kindle end) is much larger than the Kindle cord. I don't have Bluetooth so maybe that's a good solution, but I don't have a lot of the plug/jacks that go with the newer 'toys', either. The solution is for Amazon to 'man up' to the problem and replace ALL of our cords. Do they think they're better than a car company? baby seat company? cereal company? If you're reputable, when you make a mistake, you own up to it and fix it! Period!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 1:27:53 PM PST
This has happend to me also. One crack turned into a chain reaction and all of it started falling apart. I don't know if I should get a new one or not. I love my Kindle but how many of these cords am I going to have to purchase before someone in Kindle Land goes 'Oh, maybe we should make a better product'. I'm just stumped right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 3:26:05 PM PST
same problem cord covering disintergrating after 8 months. none of my other usb cables are of such poor quality.kanaka boy

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 5:03:30 AM PST
Yes. The power cord cracked from top to bottom. I taped it together with scotch tape. Fire hazard? You bet. I have never had this problem with any electronic media device before. No quality control?

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 12:30:25 PM PST
Yep ... add me to the list.
My power cord outer cover is rotting and crumbling away.
This is a defect in materials and should be replaced bt Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 8:29:58 PM PST
ilovebooks says:
The insulation on a wire carrying electrical current should never, ever be compromised! I don't care how small the load! This is just another example of shoddy, dangerous products produced in China, for less, if, in fact, it is being produced there. I cannot imagine that Jeff Bezos would ever let this situation continue, knowingly! American workers and technology and quality control should be what Jeff is using to produce any product that he attaches his name, and company name, to.

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 12:43:14 PM PST
doesn't take much to mess up a plastic batch. Slightly wrong "recipe" or temperature at some step in the process. Plastic is susceptible to heat so a power cord is going to, by definition, have to withstand a certain amount, too. But once it's found - it should be fixed and bad ones replaced no questions asked. Whether it's one customer or 300! Maybe you could write one or two off to carelessness, but even so, it shouldn't be that delicate. Cords are supposed to put up with a good deal of abuse (Does anyone ever really pay attention to the "do not pull out plug by yanking on cord" instructions on vacuum cleaners? :)

Good luck everyone. I just got my first Kindle and am so pleased with it but hope that the new version came with good cords.

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 2:05:33 PM PST
Debra says:
Last night I just noticed the same problem with the cord that all of you are describing. I have only had my kindle for a few months have been very careful with it. I couldn't figure out what had happened. There is a crack at the base of the cord that plugs into the outlet. The wires are exposed and the casing is cracked. Debra

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 2:05:34 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 17, 2010 7:26:48 PM PST]

[Deleted by the author on Dec 17, 2010 7:26:04 PM PST]

[Deleted by the author on Dec 17, 2010 7:25:57 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 6:05:48 PM PST
J. Dempsey says:
Instead of buying a Kindle replacement cable, just buy a power adapter for a Palm Pre or an LG Optimus S cell phone from Sprint or Verizon...its cheaper, built better and works perfectly. Actually, they probably sell them on Amazon now that I think of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 7:28:26 PM PST
Bill Brown says:
Yes, the same thing just happened to me. I have had the Kindle 2 for almost 2 years but this just happened.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 11:22:31 AM PST
I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone should have to buy anything to fix a cord that is flawed. Amazon is 100% responsible for these cords and should replace them FREE to every single person who has bought a Kindle. Period.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (821 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  1006
Total posts:  1499
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 52 customers

Search Customer Discussions