Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

Kindle destroyed by airport scanner

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 1, 2012 2:12:59 AM PST
Ms Anstey says:
Have travelled extensively and never thought it would happen to me. Returning to London from Schipol airport, I was told to place my kindle in a separate crate and it was put through the x-ray machine. On boarding the flight I tried to tur my kindle off and the screen melted before my eyes. Was one of the kindle's biggest fans. Sister bought it as present for me 2 years ago so paid closed to $280. Amazon us made out like they would replace it for free, but as I live in the uk pushed me off to Amazon uk. Amazon uk demanded I pay for it. Joke. Kindle not fit for purpose. Was one of their earliest users and biggest advocates. Not any more. Cannot trust it and certainly not Amazon to see me right. They have not replied to my emails and calling them is thankless. Find it just amazing that they will take your money but when there is a problem, getting through to them is an excruciating task.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 4:36:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2012 4:37:10 AM PST
L. Leverton says:
It is not a good idea to email them. you get a canned generic response. Calling them works best. I have seen many posts on here of the kindles being damaged going through airport security. I think I would tell them this at the airport and see if they can get around it. It isn't amazon's fault, any eink reader would do the same thing. Unless you had an extended warranty, 2 years is way past warranty period. I bought a 3 year accident warranty for mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 8:41:45 AM PST
Ms Anstey says:
Thanks to those who responded. Am so impressed with how constructive the replies were. As advised (altho I had a fruitless first call back in Dec) I called again (rather than emailed) and this time spoke to Seth L, in the US who was much more helpful. Amazon US have agreed to replace the Kindle. Only catch is it will be sent to a US address and similarly I need to return mine to Kentucky from the UK but as it was purchased in the US this seems fair and reasonable. Re correlation and causation. The fact is some Kindles are being damaged when put through European airport scanners. Amazon needs to see these customers rght to protect its brand. This is a very unusual situation. I must be able to trust that I can take my Kindle on holidays abroad, otherwise for me and many others, it has little value. Thanks to Seth L for seeing me right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 10:21:44 AM PST
Are you sure you have three year warranty? The coverage I bought is a two year warrant, but runs on top of the Kindle warranty. It expires in Feb 2014.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 6:11:02 AM PST
Many thanks to you for informing us as I also travel abroad and am sincerely worried that my Kindle Fire will be damaged...I will be watching for any postings and will report what I experience too... I hope to keep the Fire, I do not want to return it but it must perform to this day and age which means being able to be mobile...best wishes...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 7:56:30 PM PST
...and thank YOU for taking the time to acknowledge all those who helped you. This was a learning experience for me

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 6:17:32 AM PST
I travel from the US to Brazil and back every month with my Kindle and have had no problems or issues at all with the xray machines causing problems. The only trouble I've had...One leg of my travel involves helicopter flight, and the baggage handlers set something on top of my bag when the Kindle was in it and broke my screen, despite the fact that it was in a padded case...Amazon replaced the Kindle for me...a new one was at the house 26 days before I was!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 8:22:49 AM PST
L. Leverton says:
Yes, I paid a few more dollars for the 3 year warranty. I thought the extra year was well worth the extra amount. THey had both options available.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 10:41:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2012 10:43:25 AM PST
Michael says:
Was your Kindle completely powered down so the screen was blank or did it have a screensaver or other image displayed?

I am wondering if the eInk screen is damaged by x-rays interacting when an image is displayed and if this is avoidable by powering down completely.

It's not really Amazon's fault, especially out of warranty, but it would be nice to know what is causing these reported failures.

(By the way, this is the accessory forum, not really the best placement for this post.)

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 7:31:33 AM PST
Tom Del Nero says:
My Kindle recently went through the X-ray machines at the airport. Once I sat down in the plane I was unable to turn it on. The reset (15 second hold with the on switch) wouldn't help either. Once I got home and plugged it in the charger nothing happened either. This morning with it fully charged the first thing I noticed was it had a different image on the display. It powered right up and is working fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 12:01:32 PM PST
Your Kindle Fire does not use eInk, which if I am reading correctly, is the cause of the problem. You should have no problem at all traveling with a Kindle Fire.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 9:29:41 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 2, 2012 9:30:13 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 1:20:06 PM PST
Airport x-ray machines have had no effect on my K3 Kindle and have lost count the number of times it has gone through them.

Rough baggage handling does!

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 4:03:21 PM PST
Mary Cofran says:
I am so glad I reading these. I am planning a trip by air to Michigan and planned to take my Kindle Fire. So if I am reading right the Fire doesn't have any problems with the airport x-rays? I love my Kindle and read it all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 4:11:09 PM PST
No Kindles have problems with airport scanners!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 4:19:59 PM PST
Ms Anstey says:
Oh, so it was an aberration, was it Mr Down Under? So, I didn't place my Kindle in a box provided by the airport staff at Schipol all on its own, before it was placed by them through the airport scanner, came out the other end (nobody manhandled it) and I then didn't see my Kindle screen disintegrate before my eyes when I tried to power it off on take-off? I must have dreamt it. Ignoring posts that are unhelpful, yes perhaps the solution is to power down the Kindle before going through scanners just to be safe. For all those who have the newer version, bear in mind mine was an older model and perhaps more susceptible to being impacted. I too had travelled extensively without issue before this event.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 4:29:28 PM PST
Probably due to a fault within the device itself but nothing to do with the scanner.

I repeat...
Airport x-ray machines have had no effect on my K3 (Keyboard) Kindle and have lost count the number of times it has gone through them. Rough baggage handling does!

Not to mention the number of laptops and tablets that pass through these scanners without harm!

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 11:32:16 AM PST
Well, well, easy guys... Thanks for reporting your respective experiences. Pete, how about that Black Swan thing? That no number of observations of swans being white can exclude the existence of a Black Swan?.. :) Isn't it possible that "Damage to e-ink Kindle occurs *sometimes* when they pass through airport security" - and here we are trying to figure out, if possible, when exactly does this happen? Is that something restricted to Europe?.. And/or, could this be an issue with older model Kindles? It is true that had this issue been wide spread, there would've been much bigger noise - yet I want to minimize my risks with my brand new Keyboard Kindle :)

Posted on May 30, 2013 10:27:50 PM PDT
I have had my Kindle since 2009 and travelled with it through many airports with no problems. However flew today from San Francisco and the moment I got on the 'plane, discovered that my Kindle's screen is damaged. (The Kindle together with my Ipad and Samsung phone were all in a computer bag as I went through the scanner.) Amazon are offering a refurbished model at a discount.

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 3:16:48 PM PDT
At the beginning of the month I flew from Charleston, SC to Chicago. When I arrived in Chicago I found my Kindle screen was ruined!! My Kindle DX has flown everywhere with me since Dec. 2008 including Europe. No problems ever before. I am really bummed! Is there any recourse?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2014 5:42:14 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
If you look at the latest post column on the home page for this forum you'll notice that the frequency of posts is about one every two or three days. It is a VERY slow forum with an extremely low level of participation. You'll get a much better response to your questions in the very active, official Kindle Help Forum here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_bc_thread
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (812 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Feb 1, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions