Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

text to speech for kindle pc

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2011 6:14:07 PM PST
I downloaded kindle for my pc (windows 7) and would like to know how I can listen to it (text to speech)? is there an ap or can I use the speech engines I have and the voices I have (TextAloud and the one that came with Windows)?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 10:24:01 AM PST
Frank, that feature is not available for Kindle apps unfortunately.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 12:48:22 PM PST
C. Poole says:
Any idea if the Fire has text to speech?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 12:52:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2011 12:53:29 PM PST
It does not have it!

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 5:20:07 PM PDT
Nick Marino says:
You have to download a special type of Kindle for PC: http://www.amazon.com/kindle/accessibility

Once you have that version, you need a program to handle your speech. Windows Narrator will do the trick and it's already on your PC. (Just go to Run in the start menu and type in narrator.)

But be forewarned -- it only reads what's visible on the Kindle page (use CTRL+R to start reading and SPACE BAR to pause reading) and if you try to navigate to a different program, the Kindle speech function will stop reading the book!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:15:52 PM PST
Jenn says:
I was having a terrible time trying to get the text to speech function to work...This did the trick! :)
THANK YOU! :)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:55:22 AM PST
hi , trying to figure out how to use the text to speech on the kindle HD 8.9 . i really wish there was some kind of booklet . i don't want the carosole either ,it shows all the pages i was reading on internet ugg

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:27:15 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
To turn off the loading of all your web pages in the carousel, tap on Web, tap on the menu icon at the bottom of the screen, and uncheck the box that says "Display most recent page in Carousel."

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:19:01 AM PST
thank you so much !! now i just have to figure out the rest of the kindle everything is so small. that's why i need the text to speech i don't know if it is a setting that i have to do or an app . but thank you it was really ticking me off !!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2013 6:22:36 PM PDT
Rob Guenther says:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000632481

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 1:49:31 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Rob, you're responding to a question from 2011 that was already answered then.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 9:01:13 AM PDT
Chris says:
Kindle Fire does have text to speech. I use it regularly.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 6:00:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2013 6:00:58 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Chris, you're responding to a post from 2011. The original Kindle Fire back then did not have text-to-speech.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 9:27:01 AM PST
Rowan says:
Fire and Fire HD do have text to speech. They have access to Kindle Free time and that is one of it's features. If your having trouble using text to speech on your tablet you might have to enable it. Call Kindle support they will tell you how it operates on your particular Kindle. Even my touch is speech enabled, I just needed a little help to figure it out. It isn't even a Fire!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 10:22:06 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
Rowan, you're responding to a post from 2011. At the time of the post, the only Kindle Fire model was the original Kindle Fire, and it did not have text-to-speech.

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 8:46:54 AM PDT
How does text to speech work on windows 8 pc?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2014 3:18:42 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Krishna: If you look at the latest post column on the home page for this forum you'll notice that the frequency of posts is about one every two or three days. It is a VERY slow forum with an extremely low level of participation. You'll get a much better response to your questions in the very active, official Kindle Help Forum here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_bc_thread
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (823 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 6, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions