Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

wireless router, will I need one? My first kindle what should I buy???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2011 7:04:18 AM PDT
Bob & Wife says:
This 'Kindle Fire' is my first other than my home computer I am NOT hep on technology. Anyone out there that can advise me what accessories I SHOULD get like, someone said I live in the hills and will probably need a wireless router. Does it come with a charger???

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 11:33:26 AM PDT
Yes it comes with a charger.

A wireless router would be a good buy as it would enable you to use it in and around the house rather than be confined to the one spot!

Have a read about the Kindle Fire (1st Generation)

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 3:11:40 AM PDT
Fud53 says:
Bob&Wife.....if you don't get a cell phone signal then you'll either have to hook the kindle up to your computer to download books or have a wireless router for your computer to download books. Other than that you "need" nothing. If you read the product description(I suggest you do this)you'll see it comes with a usb cable for hooking up to your computer. When hooked up it charges the kindle and allows you to download too. Don't guess on how it works...read the instructions.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 4:39:48 AM PDT
Bob & Wife says:
Thanks for the info. The Kindle Fire gets released November 15th they said. Now I know I don't need to rush out and get a wireless router. I am in the woods and very seldom get ANY cell phone service until I go down to a main road (route 2/ interstate 91). I have been reading up on routers but don't understand why I would need one over the other (cost factor). So far I think the 600 or 750 routers are the way to go for where I live, but really don't understand one from the other. I will start off using my home computer (DSL) and see from there. Thanks so much for your expertise, I am an idiot in matters like this. Will read everything the Fire comes with before buying anything. Thanks again for your time and know how.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 11:18:20 AM PDT
Bob & Wife, any normal wireless router is the way to go.

A router simply connects to your existing system and gives you wireless internet in your home for an average radius of 50 - 100 yards around it.

As long as you have an internet connection at the moment a cheap modem/router will do the job. About $40 here in Australia and possibly cheaper where you are.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 11:33:02 AM PDT
Neil Fan says:
If you happen to have Comcast cable, they will provide you with a free wireless router. Go to the website for details or the user forum. Small shipping charge, no monthly fees.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 10:01:23 AM PDT
Bob & Wife says:
I have verizon DSL, so I guess I've got to pay if I want to play! Thanks, Bob

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 10:04:10 AM PDT
Bob & Wife says:
Thanks, that sounds very doable! Bob

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 11:16:08 AM PDT
NJshopper says:
Check with Verizon. I have a Verizon DSL router with wireless -- probably got it 5 yrs ago. Yours may have it and you don't realize it? If not, ask them to upgrade yours to a wireless one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 12:52:50 PM PDT
L. LEVERTON says:
If you have dsl, you won't need a new router. My dsl box has a wifi button on it. MY internet provider set it up free. It doesn't matter what your cell phone service is. It has nothing to do with internet and the fire doesn't work off cell coverage. IT isn't even something you need to mention. You can't hook up the fire with a corded internet connection, it HAS to have wifi to access the cloud. You can manually move things without wifi, but you can't do a lot of stuff without it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 1:18:41 PM PDT
I think it had already been answered so no need to confuse the issue.

What is a dsl box? Do you mean a modem or what!

Bob & Wife simply need a wireless modem/router!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 1:54:29 PM PDT
L. LEVERTON says:
A dsl box, is essentually a router. In the country when you get internet., it comes through a dsl box. All they have to do is program the wireless portion of it, but it is wifi capable. When we switched from dial up to high speed, they have to put in the dsl box, they ask at that time if we need the wireless. We said not at this time, but they enabled it anyway for when we got something requiring wireless.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 2:11:14 PM PDT
Sorry L, I am not having a go at you but your post just confuses the issue at hand.

People can easily check if their DSL modem is wireless enabled but in most cases it is not and we are simply recommending Bob & Wife use a wireless modem/router.

If they are unsure then they can jot down the make and model of their present modem and ask the local PC store if it is wireless enabled. If not then they can purchase one for not that much money these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 2:22:27 PM PDT
L. LEVERTON says:
I guess it depends on your internet provider. Where I live dsl is the only internet available and our routers are all wifi enabled. If it isn't , you just call them and they bring you one that is. I never had to pay anything for it, it's part of their service.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 2:30:47 PM PDT
We are currently using what they call Naked ADSL2+ at home. Quite fast!

Naked meaning you do not need a phone line that is connected but has been in the past. Saves a monthly connection fee from the phone company.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 2:04:32 PM PDT
I am considering buying the kindle fire for my mom. However she lives in a rural area and their is no wireless internet. She has to use a card that plugs into her computer. Would this be adequate or not? Can you plug a card into the kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 2:08:48 PM PDT
Bob & Wife says:
Perhaps someone can answer your question. I'm newer at this stuff than you are, Good Luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 2:47:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2011 2:48:33 PM PDT
By using the term Wireless internet it solely means that if you have a wired (Ethernet cable) internet connection at home you simply purchase a wireless router to hook into your system.

That will allow Kindle, laptops, tablets etc to hook up via wireless to your internet for an average radius of about 80 yards inside and outside the home

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 3:24:34 PM PDT
Bob & Wife says:
Thanks, Bob

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 4:23:59 PM PST
I'm in the same position as u are. No cel, dsl, wifi, cable. I'm paying 70.00 per month for satellite internet. I was researching different tablets/readers and found a few that u can actually connect ur home pc and use the same internet connection as your home pc. I'm still looking, and the best place to look is at Amazon. Just do ur homework. I've had two wireless routers and it seems that getting no srvc mentioned above also carries over to ur wireless connection in the home. I'm really considering buying the tablet that I can just plug into my existing port on my home pc and forget the hassle of messing with wireless anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 4:48:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2011 4:49:06 PM PST
Brenda Henson says: I'm really considering buying the tablet that I can just plug into my existing port on my home pc and forget the hassle of messing with wireless anything.

Then why would you bother getting a tablet?

Get someone with some tech savy to set up your wireless modem router and have the freedom of a wireless device such as a tablet and or a laptop!

By the way you will need a wireless connection for the new Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 7:46:38 PM PST
Yay! I feel so much better now. I had this same question but I didnt wanna ask cause....i actually DO know computers but it seemed a bit vague on that point to me. But yep. I'm getting one myself...and I didnt mean you were stupid cause i was afrad to sound dumb if I asked...just more like okay if theres another person wondering then theres gotta be one after that and so on. So..I am gonna go ask the other one I was afraid to now since obviously we arent stupid and the only ones wondering which will probably be the same :)

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 9:43:16 PM PST
K. Lukito says:
I never had Kindle before and have been hearing a lot about it. I'm thinking of buying the latest Kindle Fire for my son as my book cabinet is always running out of space. My problem is, we live in China. My question is, will it be a problem to downloading Kindle books in China?

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 7:38:07 AM PST
Tuli Reno says:
I recently contacted CS to ask about the USB cable. They told me that although you can transfer via USB, the Fire doesn't come with a USB cable. You have to purchase that separately. I received that email from CS November 12, 2011. I include the date because things are always changing and sometimes CS can get it wrong.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 5:30:47 PM PST
Donman says:
According to, "Included in the Box Kindle Fire device, U.S. power adapter (supports 100-240V), and Quick Start Guide."
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (808 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions