Customer Discussions > Kindle Accessory forum

kindle won't turn off

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 176 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2010 11:57:33 AM PST
My kindle won't turn off. The screen is frozen and none of the buttons work. Plugging it in has had no effect and the on/off slider does not cause anything to happen. Has anyone else had this issue?

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 12:14:46 PM PST
rona schmidt says:
if your kindle won't turn off call the number (listed somewhere on the kindle info customer service page) and somehow the people working their help desk can fix it for you...we did that with my husbands kindle and it has worked perfectly since then............

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 12:21:56 PM PST
mrs. suzi says:
Try sliding and holding the power button for about 7 seconds. It worked for me.

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 1:06:25 PM PST
ELIZABETH says:
I had the same thing happen yesterday. So I tried what Mrs. suzi suggested and it worked ....but, now it won't turn back on -- there is a blank screen (no authors even). I thought it might need recharging, so I did that overnight. Still no success, so now I'm headed to calling in for support.

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 6:35:08 PM PST
M. Davis says:
Seems I remember reading that a 7 second hold is to simply to turn off the Kindle. And a 15 second hold is supposed to re-set the Kindle.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 7:29:51 AM PST
i just received my kindle for Christmas and love it. My front page froze (it was on the amazon kindle front page) and I tried the 7 second power start and that did not help, but then tried the 15 second reset and worked perfectly.

also thanks for the suggestions for the free books, I just went and dowloaded about 15 new books all at no charge. With that ability I don't mind having to pay a litlle more than the paperback price for a new book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 2:21:48 PM PST
M. Davis says:
Glad that worked for you Maryellen. I haven't had to do it, but read that somewhere & remembered.

I will NEVER pay more for an ebook than paperbook! The author doesn't get it ... the publisher does and that is just gouging to me ... but with all the other options for the Kindle, I don't see the need to.

Hope you are enjoying your new Kindle as much as I am. :-)

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 3:17:16 PM PST
How do i tell the difference between off and asleep?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 3:37:11 PM PST
M. Davis says:
Off is a blank screen. Asleep shows a picture. Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 3:42:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2010 3:51:19 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 3:51:23 PM PST
M. Davis says:
Hold the slider for 15 seconds. BUT ... have read here that the battery drains less if you just let it sleep. I was turning mine off all the time, then switched back to sleeping. It was said if you aren't going to be using your Kindle for a week or so, then go ahead and turn off. Personally ... if I were packing in a suitcase, I'd turn it off, but can't see me packing it! I'd be reading!! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 4:11:49 PM PST
Keith Osborn says:
Had the same problem....push the on/off slide to the right and hold for 15 sec. This should reset the Kindle, my seems to "freeze" after it's been on charge.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 9:38:34 AM PDT
my kindle 3 wont turn off. i just charged it, took the wire out and it wont turn off. i tried holding power for 7sec. then 15sec. and it wont turn off. i can do everything still but not turn off my kindle. im going to call amazon soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 10:10:50 AM PDT
I ended up calling service and they had me return the kindle and then they sent me a new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 2:15:12 PM PDT
on the off mode you will see a completely bland screen. on sleep it'll depict a picture.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 2:16:21 PM PDT
try unscrewing the back and replacing your battery. never tried but just an idea. best of luck:)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 9:50:14 AM PDT
thanks for this --- I had the same issue- my kindle kept dying out and could not figure out how to shut it down

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 4:12:56 PM PDT
This happened to me as well. You have to hold the slide for the full 20 seconds before it will restart. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 10:02:05 AM PDT
This is ideally how it is supposed to work but I have also had the same issue where I slide the button over and hold it and count to 10,20, 30 and nothing. This has happened to me multiple times and is very frustrating. The slide on/off/sleep button is just simply faulty. I think Amazon needs to update this feature on their next generation. I try to turn off, it sleeps, I try and turn it on, it ignores me, etc. It is just too frequent of an issue to write it off. The only thing that worked for me was letting it run itself out of battery and completely re-charging. Not acceptable.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:32:39 PM PDT
John Delea says:
Worked for me that way as well.... About 15 seconds.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 2:24:35 PM PDT
V. Feely says:
Thanks to all of you with the "15 seconds" advice. I was just having the problem of Kindle not turning on and in a panic was just ordering a new one when I happened upon this discussion. My Kindle is working again and I am happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 6:12:50 PM PDT
Meee says:
When te kindle is fully charged and you have it in home... it shuts down. But it must bwe charged. Mine was almost dead. I charged it and it shut off while charging.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 6:15:03 PM PDT
Meee says:
In my case, when my kindle was low on energy... nothing worked. I charged it and it shutdown while charging; with a full charge I have had no further problems...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 10:19:02 AM PDT
My kindle wont turn on. I have charged it for four hours and held the slide button for up to 10 second but nothing happens. Has anyone had this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 4:56:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2011 4:59:42 PM PDT
Fern says:
Mary Ann, is the light on the bottom green? If so, slide the button and hold it for 20-30 seconds and see if that works. The same thing happened to me and by holding the button longer it "re-booted". I was VERY happy since I was on vacation and didn't have easy computer access.

Good luck!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Accessory forum (808 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Accessory forum
Participants:  114
Total posts:  176
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2010
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions