Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Great Indie and Self Published Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 133 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2012 10:28:59 AM PST
There was some confusion on a thread I started in the MOU forum. I'm not asking authors to recommend their own books. Instead, I really want to hear about books that you think are good or even excellent. I'm especially interested in hearing about great works by Indie Authors.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:30:03 AM PST
I'll start.

Corie Universe Feeder by Walter Eckland reminds me of the ever so popular Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. It is a fast paced and well-edited story with a likable protagonist that children can relate to. I recently read this book aloud to my class of 10-12 year-old students. It was a huge success! Corie is a highly creative and independent girl who truly cares about the world.
Your reply to S. L. Wallace's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:39:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2012 10:59:52 AM PST
I've read some fabulous Indie books. I guess my favorite Indie author would be Kealan Patrick Burke. KIN This book blew my mind! It was intense and poignant all at once.
Some other Indie authors that I enjoy and respect (some of these only have short stories available, so far):
James Everington
Lee Thompson
Glen Krisch
Alan Ryker
Aaron Polson

Edited to add one more: Ania Ahlborn who wrote Seed which rocked! I also wanted to add that all of these are dark fiction authors.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:41:33 AM PST
Angela Perry says:
I've really been enjoying Twice as Dark: Two Novels of Horror by Glen Krisch. It's two books in one, both horror stories without a lot of gore. The first is about a zombie-like subculture living underground during the Depression Era. The second is about a man who can pull living dreams (including nightmares) from people's minds. I've finished the first and am halfway through the second. There are some grammar/spelling issues, so don't read them if such things drive you buggy.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 10:42:20 AM PST
Angela Perry says:
Hey Charlene! Recommending the books you recommended to me again :) LOVING the second one, even more than the first.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:44:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2012 10:44:47 AM PST
Thanks, Charlene and Angela!

Here are a few more:
Captive by Sarah Williams was another book that I thoroughly enjoyed. While some characters and scenes were of a darker nature, others made me laugh out loud. It was an interesting mix, in many ways. The ending was not at all what I expected. The entire novel was very well executed.

Frey (The Frey Saga) and The Frey Saga Book II: Pieces of Eight by Melissa Wright are part of another series I recently discovered. They reminded me of the Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore, only with a female protagonist.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:54:23 AM PST
Angela Perry says:
I was going to recommend IMMORTAL by Gene Doucette, but apparently he's been snapped up by a publisher. Good for him! I still recommend his book, but it's been taken down and will be re-released in March, per his blog.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 10:58:40 AM PST
Angela, that was my favorite as well. With a creature called Mr. Freakshow, how could it NOT be good? LOL

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 11:13:55 AM PST
Frank Mundo says:
I'm re-posting my recommendation for Loisaida -- A New York Story by Marion Stein. This is a quality indie suspense novel for only 2.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 11:36:00 AM PST
That's a GREAT one, Frank. I thought she was with a publisher for that, though? I had actually typed it into my post and then removed it.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 11:48:59 AM PST
Thanks for re-posting, Frank.

I didn't like what that other thread was turning into! I'd rather see people supporting each other by giving recommendations of books that they truly believe are of high quality rather than trying to self promote. Perhaps that's why I'm lousy at marketing, hmm??? Anyway, here's another one!

Redemption (Redemption Series) and the sequel Ransom (Redemption Series) by R.K. Ryals were great! The characters had their own little quirks, the action scenes were fast-paced, and the attraction between some of the characters was magnetic and electrifying. This series isn't my typical genre, but I couldn't put it down.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 11:53:44 AM PST
Frank Mundo says:
I'm pretty sure she's an indie, although I wouldn't be surprised if she got picked up by a publisher for that book since then.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 12:21:43 PM PST
I'm bummed to report I don't think she has been picked up, because I follow her blog regularly. I will agree that it was a fabulous book, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 1:09:06 PM PST
Hi S.L., I just recently started getting into the indie author movement, and discovered, not only a new favorite indie author, but a new favorite author period. Check out "Inside the Outside" by Martin Lastrapes, it's actually free in the Kindle store this week. It's such a wonderfully written and very unique story. I can't sing it's praises enough!Inside the Outside

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 1:13:50 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
I've read a few indie books that I really liked, but the majority have been abysmal, and as we know, one can't really trust the reviews. The major flaws in bad indie books that I've come across are poor grammar, punctuation and spelling. Even if the story is interesting its simply difficult to enjoy a book that is dreadfully written.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 1:15:05 PM PST
twinny says:
Great thread, well done!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 1:46:20 PM PST
That's easy to avoid, you know. I always read a little from the Look Inside feature. If a book is dreadfully written, as you say, you should be able to notice it in the first couple of chapters and simply not buy it. Would you mind sharing some of the titles of books you did enjoy?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 1:46:37 PM PST
=-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 1:48:03 PM PST
I'm going to watch for all of these recommendations. I think that's one of the best ways to find good books.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 1:52:32 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
That's a good point, S. L. Wallace, I could check out a sample first.

I'll have to go back through my list to find the titles of self-published books I've enjoyed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 1:56:09 PM PST
I think it would be great to keep adding to this thread as we come across more Indie authors/titles we would like to recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 2:03:05 PM PST
Please do! I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 2:08:28 PM PST
I agree, and I'll share just one more, for now...

This one is aimed at kids. It follows four children on their journey into the Nation of E. Magi (Imagination). However, people visit their imaginations for many different reasons: some for fun and some to escape. I also read this one aloud to my class of upper elementary students. It provided many opportunities for in-depth discussions of serious topics. It is (drum roll) Willow Crossing by Rhodora Fitzgerald.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 3:20:18 PM PST
Louise Wise says:
Pentecost. An ARKANE Thriller.
The Testament of Mariam

Are the ones that I have enjoyed.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 8:46:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 11:46:45 AM PST
Lordfrieza says:
My favorite indie author is well... me. I'm kidding. Actually I love Heather Hurst's book The Priestess (Arthur's Witch). It's just an amazing read and well worth checking out. I'm a huge fan of C.L. Ellison's V.V. Inn stories. I've recently been reading Kevin Richey's Zombie fairytales and they're enjoyable.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  133
Initial post:  Feb 21, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions