Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Have you ever returned a Kindle book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 158 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2011 2:06:19 PM PST
Have you done this? What would make you return a Kindle book you had bought?

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 2:30:59 PM PST
No, I've never gone to the bother, but there are some I've deleted from my kindle and wished I'd never bought. All of them by self-published writers, though I have nothing against self-published writers. Some writers are quite good. But when they're bad, they're truly awful. ^_^

What about you? Delete anything lately?

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 2:42:24 PM PST
I've deleted Kindle books that weren't to my taste, but I'd gotten them for free anyway, so I didn't mind.

I don't know if I'd ever bother returning a Kindle book, but I would leave a one-star review if the book looked like it had been posted online without an editor.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 3:00:46 PM PST
I occasionally do it. When putting a sample into my sample collection, I accidentally hit the "Buy this now" option. I've also done it when I pre-ordered a book and then they moved the release date up without warning. As a result, the money that was being saved for gas went to buying a book. I had to return it and purchase it at a later date so I could fill my car up.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 3:01:29 PM PST
L. Knight says:
I returned a book that was only like 5 pages long, even though the description stated it was 20,000 words (maybe 2,000) - Amazon returned it for me right away with no problems at all. I think as long as the books description is accurate (genre, subgenre) and other details are correct, then it's up to me to read reviews and feedback and keep the book whether I like it or not. Like others said, just delete it off my Library.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 3:27:19 PM PST
The reason I'm asking is because I'm having a dispute with my former publisher (I sacked them) and they are saying that the figures for sales don't reflect all the dozens of books that were returned.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone likes my book, but I'd have thought that if a dozen people hated it enough to return it, someone would have posted a bad review.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 3:29:40 PM PST
❤ Ann says:
Yes, both times for terrible formatting. I'll overlook minor issues, but when the book is practically unreadable, it goes back. These were not self-published/indie books either - one was from a best-selling author and major publisher.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 3:41:30 PM PST
In my experience, one percent of readers return a book. I've sold around 1100 books and have about 11 returns through Amazon. Most people will just delete the book off their Kindle if they don't like it, but some will read it and return it, even if they like it. If they don't do it frequently, Amazon won't notice that they're playing the system.

But this is something to take up with your publisher. Results will vary, so you can't take my personal experiences and apply it to your situation.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 3:49:19 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
I think it's scuzzy to read a book to the end and then return it just so you could read it for free. But that's me. (As opposed to having some reason -- even just disliking the book -- for wanting to return it.)

I haven't returned one yet, though I've deleted one. It was very well written and well formatted, but it had something in it that still makes me feel nauseated when I think of the book. I think I got it when it was a free promo offer. (I wrote a review of it, though, because most of the reviews were 4 and 5 stars -- and probably quite legitimate reviews, too, not shills -- but I'm sure there are others who, regardless of how literate the book is, would also find it very disturbing, and I thought someone ought to mention it.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:56:22 PM PST
Have you asked Amazon to send you a financial report listing how many readers have asked for refunds? I should think the writer of the book is entitled to have this information. Anyway, good luck!

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 7:07:21 PM PST
An Author says:
I am an indie author whose published on both fiction and non-fiction on Amazon. I have one free short story titled "Where is Paradise". In two months it has had 2,000 downloads and 1 person returned the book :) Returns are not an issue, if you ask me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 9:31:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2011 9:32:32 PM PST
readingfool says:
I didn't realize I could return them. I wish I'd known this. I bought two books that are hands down the worst books I've ever seen or read...I think the reviews were written by the authors themselves...I deleted them...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 11:28:32 PM PST
Yes, I think the rule is that you can get a refund for any product, no questions asked, within 7 days of purchase. After that they might refuse you. But you'll have to check out Amazon's rules. I'm just repeating what I've heard on these forums, so I could well be wrong.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 12:20:04 AM PST
Jeweled Onyx says:
I've only returned 2 books. The first one had some horrible download problem. I actually wanted the book badly...it was the read of the month for one of the books club to which I belong. Customer service helped me try everything to download the book. They finally took it off the website, refunded my money, emailed me to let me know when the problem was fixed (actually took about a week) and then allowed me to download it free of charge for my patience. The second I returned only because I thought it was the correct title of a book I wanted...it was close, but no cigar and they allowed me to return it. It was within a couple of days of the purchase. I can't think of another reason I'd return a book, as we can sample any book we want. If I buy it and then hate it, I would consider it my fault and not Amazon's.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 1:21:59 AM PST
Kribu says:
I haven't returned a book, but if I did, the only reasons I can think of would be serious formatting issues (incl. older books obviously OCR-d and not proofread, with more than the occasional OCR issue but enough for it to get in the way of reading) or accidental one-click, in which case I'd contact Amazon for a return immediately.

I can't imagine that I would ever return a book for content issues or just because I didn't like it - that's a risk that readers have always had. I suppose that if the description was *really* misleading (say, the description promises a children's fantasy but it turns out to be an erotic thriller or something of that sort), then maybe, but it would have to be incredibly misleading, with no reviews pointing it out yet, to make a case about that.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 3:43:11 AM PST
I checked the rules, and you can return a book within seven days, but unless someone clicked "buy" by accident, it doesn't seem to happen much.

My opinion is that my former publishers hope I'll be so upset at the idea of returned books that I'll take their word on all the sales figures.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 4:48:29 AM PST
Buttercup says:
Yes, I had purchased and downloaded Stephen King's new book with the active content. I purchased prior to getting my Kindle Fire because I thought I would be able to view it on that. So I actually had purchased it weeks ahead of actually receiving my Fire. When I found it wouldn't play, I contacted customer service and they were quite understanding, and I returned it and purchased the version without the active content.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 8:48:46 PM PST
Marion Stein says:
I'm pretty careful about what I actually buy, and won't buy anything without downloading the sample first. I have "returned" books that were purchased by accident. In all the cases, I'm still not 100% sure I actually did click "buy" instead of "sample". In one case, I was just looking at the book and somehow must have clicked without even realizing it. All of these were done in a few seconds. If I did buy a book and then I saw formatting errors that made going on difficult, I would return it. I would not return a book because the plot wasn't going where I wanted it to or the characters were flat, because my feeling would be that I should have figured that out from the sample.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 9:04:27 PM PST
CBrew says:
I have but it was because i already have it on Kindle and Hardcover. it was an accidental purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 9:07:37 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
If I had decided to return rather than simply delete the book that so disturbed me, I couldn't have judged that I wouldn't like the book just from having read the sample. The really very horrible bit occurred pretty far into the book -- at least a third of the way -- and although there were some pretty horrific things in later passages, this one was so bad, I wish there were brain bleach, or Obliviates, or something, that could delete the image from my mind.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 12:05:14 AM PST
M. T. MacKay says:
I bought a book by accident when I first got my Kindle, and I returned it.

I can think of only one book I bought that I might have returned. It was off the scale of horribly written that added up to 100 times worse than anything I've ever read, including freshman essays and fanfic.

I didn't realize you could return books - perhaps I would have done so with that one book. That taught me to be more judicious and to read the sample before buying.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 9:20:01 AM PST
Amelia, what on earth was the book?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 9:30:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011 9:31:14 AM PST
AmeliaAT says:
Here's the link to my review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3FFZBCZLADQ6J/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004PLMHYC&nodeID=133140011&tag=&linkCode=

It got many 4 & 5 star reviews. (Also, the "Hannibal Lecter" description in the first line of the Editorial Reviews was not there -- at least not that prominently -- when I got it. And I think Hannibal was quite mild in his tastes compared to what was in this book. You have to read quite a ways before you reach the thing that disturbed me.)

It's well-written, so if you aren't the squeamish type, you might be up to reading it.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 10:54:40 AM PST
I have only ever returned a Kindle book when I mistakenly bought it and usually within seconds. I never considered returning books I had read, even though some were poor stories and had many typos. I never thought it was possible. However, knowing that, I think everyone should purchase and read books that publishers want more then $9.99 for the Kindle edition then return it saying they did not get their money's worth and if hundred of thousands of people did it often enough maybe they might get a clue that an electronic copy should cost considerably less than a hardback.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 11:02:39 AM PST
Mrs. C says:
I returned a book when I realized I could get it and several others in a bundle for only a bit more money. I just contacted customer service with the order number and it was taken care of quickly.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  88
Total posts:  158
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions