Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

What book would you take to a desert island?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 2:05:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 2:20:34 PM PST
Cybergirl says:
In her writings, author Louise Erdrich shares a universal question she's asked herself and others since she was aged nine: "What book would you take to a desert island?"

I'd have to answer WUTHERING HEIGHTS by Emily Bronte. A close second is EAT PRAY LOVE by Elizabeth Gilbert. WUTHERING HEIGHTS has been a favorite book since I first read it as a teen; EAT PRAY LOVE, on the other hand, inspired me to found an on-line bookclub. I choose these books despite the fact that a more practical answer would be a survival-skills book.

That said, what book would YOU take to a desert island?

--Yolanda A. Reid

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:21:51 PM PST
Psylocide says:
Physician's Desk Reference.

Hollowed out. Inside, waterproof matches, iodine tablets, beet seeds, protein bars, NASA blanket, and, in case I get bored, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." No, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

Question: did my shoes come off in the plane crash?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:46:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 3:17:55 PM PST
My book of choice would be Hurricanes & Hangovers, hollowed out with a flask inside. Might as well go out happy.

Huh? Bending down I pick up a pair of mens ballerina slippers with the name "Psylocide" embroidered on them. What a strange thing to find on a deserted island.
Sorry for goofing around Cybergirl.
All funning aside... I'd take The Stand by Stephen King.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:47:56 PM PST
Psylocide says:
Oh, that is just soooo hilarious.

=)

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:52:06 PM PST
That would have been a concern in the old days. Now I have a Kindle so I'd be taking 1,000 books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:59:10 PM PST
Psylocide says:
You may want one of these: ReVIVE Series Solar ReStore BST - External Backup Battery Pack and Solar Panel with Doubled Charging Speed for Smartphones , Tablets , MP3 Players and more USB Powered Devices

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:05:45 PM PST
How to Survive on a Deserted Island (Prepare to Survive)?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:35:10 PM PST
Daniel says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:51:26 PM PST
God Will Save Me

A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately.

A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, "I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me."

The neighbors came by his house and said to him, "We're leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us!" But the man declined. "I have faith that God will save me."

As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, "Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly!" But the man again said, "No thanks, God will save me."

The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. "We will come up and rescue you!" they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, "Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!"

The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop.

A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, "Grab my hand and I will pull you up!" But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. "No thank you! God will save me!"

Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned.

When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, "I put all of my faith in You. Why didn't You come and save me?"

And God said, "Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?"

I would go for the practical like Old Rocker.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 6:19:28 PM PST
Splinker says:
Penthouse Forum Letter vol. XIII

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:13:17 PM PST
A. Walker says:
The Complete Alice in Wonderland. I love Lewis Carroll!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:16:41 PM PST
Bible

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:30:32 PM PST
Sue says:
I am with you on this. I would load up my Kindle before any trip (Just in case) and have my books with me. The first problem that comes to my mine is recharging the battery.

So I am ging to avoid flying anywhere near a desert island. Call me a weanie but that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 2:25:55 AM PST
Matthew Fish says:
This book, I would consider nothing else....How to Avoid Huge Ships

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 6:02:21 AM PST
M42 says:
If I were going to a desert island, I wouldn't be looking to take a book. I would take my wife. We always have plenty to talk about to pass the time and frankly no book could take her place in my life.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:17:07 AM PST
Psylocide says:
Does your husband know you're posting under his username?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:12:06 AM PST
That's so sweet!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:38:31 PM PST
I take you don't want to get rescued.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:43:51 PM PST
Well if he is a Fish he won't need rescuing...

Boatbuilding: A Complete Handbook of Wooden Boat Construction

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:46:50 PM PST
The Holy Bible.

It's thick and I'm gonna need toilet paper.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:49:08 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 21, 2012 12:50:35 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:55:30 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 21, 2012 1:01:21 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 1:06:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 21, 2012 2:15:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 1:08:50 PM PST
Psylocide says:
Is that a pee pee statement?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 1:21:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 21, 2012 2:15:09 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions