Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

You want GOOD reviews? We want good books.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2012 1:49:38 AM PDT
Belle says:
Dear authors who think they're entitled to great reviews, PLUS likes and tweets, just for writing a book and/or choosing to make it available for free...
The only way you will/should get this is if a particular reader a) has time to read your book and b) actually enjoys your book.
If I haven't read a book - or if I have, but haven't enjoyed it - why on earth would I "like" it on Amazon or Facebook, or tweet about it?
Downloading a book that's available for FREE means there shouldn't be cost associated - either in cash or promo expectations.
Furthermore, a free book in Amazon is not a gift. Readers do not have to show gratitude for this - nor should they. I'm sure when an author decides to make their book available for free, it's not out of the kindness of their hearts. Why should a reader feel grateful for an author's marketing plan? If anyone should show gratitude, it's the authors whose books are being downloaded - at least those readers are showing some interest. Would you rather be ignored?!
Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest.
/end rant.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 9:39:26 AM PDT
Splinker says:
+1. -2. +3 -3.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 10:23:14 AM PDT
Irish reader says:
I just feel unappreciated, Belle. Sure the sky is full of countless snowflakes - it's that time of year - but I am by far the most beautiful. Is it to much to ask that others do homage to one so perfectly formed? One whose life is - alas - so terribly brief? I flutter down out of the darkness. In a matter of minutes I'll just be a spot of water on your boot. Is it too much to ask that you take off your hat and say, softly and solemnly, to yourself - 'that was one extra-precious snowflake?'

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 11:03:23 AM PDT
You may be special, but most just belong in the blackened pile of slush at the edge of the road.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 11:06:17 AM PDT
Psylocide says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 1:17:39 PM PDT
M. Harmon says:
Hey Belle,

I get it. It all can feel really manipulative and for book-lovers - the request is super insulting. As a indie author, we want ways to publicize, but there's alot of bad advice out there about how to do it. That's no excuse, however.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:27:18 PM PDT
Elly Helcl says:
Humm...Do you think we can convince Amazon to make a forum called "Self-Absorbed, whiney authors, with an unedited book that is the best book ever written" And force all of the whiney authors to post in there? Then if they are whining in any other forum they can be deleted!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 1:28:24 PM PDT
Psylocide says:
What about a forum for the whiners who whine about them constantly?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 1:29:46 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Welcome home.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 1:47:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 24, 2012 1:47:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 6:38:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 24, 2012 6:43:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 6:51:49 PM PDT
Splinker says:
I wouldn't cast stones.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 6:53:42 PM PDT
Irish reader says:
Thanks, Splinks. I was so gobsmacked I was briefly bereft of words - a strange and unique experience for me.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 6:54:44 PM PDT
Irish reader says:
Not that I didn't try anyway....

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:03:58 PM PDT
Splinker says:
I was inspired by a deleted post.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 6:29:30 AM PDT
Pete Morin says:
Amazon is working on a new algorithm. When some SPA starts an idiotic forum post, it is automatically deleted. Then a fist comes out of the screen (sort of like out of Chuck Norris' beard, for fans of Family Guy) and punches the author.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 9:09:50 AM PDT
Irish reader says:
I heard Youtube were doing the same thing - and for very similar reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 1:17:45 PM PDT
Ederyn says:
It's about time! I've been waiting for this feature for like, forever.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 3:53:29 PM PDT
SJATurney says:
At the risk of putting myself in the firing line again, I want to clear something up. Are you getting emails from self-pubbed authors offering you their books free and asking for favorable reviews in return, or are you downloading free books and then being complained at by the authors for poor reviews? Or is this an assumptive thing? I find it hard to believe that authors stoop that low. I'm only really starting to look at promoting my work, and I'm damn sure that's the kind of thing I want to steer clear of. A non genuine revue is a a shard of narcissism, not a relevant piece of advertising. I've had good reviews and bad, but I've certainly never solicited one from anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:01:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 4:02:43 PM PDT
G. says:
@SJATurney: It looks as if a lot of the reviews that are being deleted are from authors who "gifted" a book to a reader. Gifting a book is okay, as long as the reviewer states this in the review. Said readers are not relaying this. I would guess that most reviewers don't read the review guidelines; I am guilty of not reading the review standards, but I have only reviewed one book on this site, and it was NOT gifted to me.

ETA: "NOT"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:06:34 PM PDT
SJATurney says:
Wow. I was not even aware that this was going on. I am apparently out of the loop. And I'm guessing that's a good thing, in retrospect. I shall continued to leave my books simply available and take whatever reviews come my way. Scary stuff. To date, you see, my promotion has revolved purely around my website and the occasional notifiction on twitter or facebook. I've never delved into these forums before and it's a bit of an eye-opener. Cheers, G.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:15:35 PM PDT
G. says:
@SJATurney: Pure speculation- Amazon is combing through reviews using a program to hopefully weed out sock-puppet and fake reviews. I don't know what the formula is for this program. I think the goal of this is admirable: weed out fake, shill reviews. The methodology for this program is a complete mystery.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 12:30:44 AM PDT
SJATurney says:
Ha. Much of technology is still a mystery to this Luddite. Good stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 4:30:28 AM PDT
Belle says:
This was in response to MT Dismuke's meltdown, amongst other things.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:22:26 AM PDT
SJATurney says:
Incidentally, if it's any consolation, the certain sector of the writing world that seems to be making the lives of readers and reviewers irritating (who solicit good reviews and spam advertise and so on) also get on the nerves of other indie/self-pub writers, as well as the traditionally published crowd. You only have to check the forums on some of the writers' sites to see how much impact this is having on general reputations in the literary world. I would also add with some sadness that this unpleasant behaviour is not limited to self-pub and indie writers, as I expect you're all aware. What a world we live in, eh?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions