Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Are you a hoarder or a reader?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2012 1:19:37 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
We see people saying that they have X many books but I wonder if they read the books they have.

So the question is this...how many books do you have? On average how many books do you get per week? And most important - how many books do you actually READ per week?

Do you set goals and try to meet them?

I'm still a newbie, had my kindle less than a year (this Nov). I have about 1000 books and get as many as 50/week. My wish list is 150 books and growing. But I've read about 250 or so of that 1000. Maybe a bit more. I set a goal of 150 this year...guess I should go higher for next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 1:34:10 PM PDT
I used to read a book a day, sometimes starting the second. Due to a lot of traveling, work- and health issues, I am somewhat behind reading and reviewing (the latter is a New Year's resolution). There are about 181 books in my TBR and according to GR, I read 1804. That number is not correct. I still have to enter the majority of my books. and then there are those I gave away or which got lost prior to starting on GR. The last 2 weeks, I had so much going on that I re-read old favorites as I did not have the patience to start a new book. Several of those books in my TBR are part of a series and I know if I don't get to read all 3 or four in a (short) row, I get cranky.

Work-wise, I will find out by the end of this week, if I can leave for a week or two on vacation (I had to hire a new GM and I am still watching closely if she can cut it). A management consultant I trust will then have a detailed executive profile and report for me ready. I normally would not have hired without his screening but my previous GM was head-hunted away, gave only 2 weeks notice and suggested her. So in the name of smooth hand-over, I went along.

I am reading on an Ipad for about a year. My goal is not to buy any paper back until the pile I still have is substantially smaller. So far I was able to do that but I also had wanted to not down-load until I was under a 100 books altogether and that clearly has not happened.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 2:00:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2012 2:02:11 PM PDT
Grass House says:
I am both. I have at least 900 books on my TBR (I am collecting books faster than the rate that I am finishing them) but I read steadily on the Kindle and averaging 1-2 books a week.

I don't know if page count matters, or they all average out in the end. I am a historical fiction fan, so those are generally 500-600 pages long!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 2:16:35 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
As far as I'm concerned, those count as two books! When I read short stories, I take that into account. I don't count all the shorts I read, but when I read huge books like that, or Stephen King's doorstoppers of 1000 pages, that's when I do count some of my short stories as 1 book.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 3:01:38 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I am more of a reader than a hoarder, though my Kindle has now led to having a TBR quantity on it. 30-50 unread. Mostly freebies that I don't actually anticipate being 'great,' which is why they are still TBR.

Before I got my kindle I reread books constantly. Now I only reread my absolute favorites.

Now that I've joined Goodreads, I can actually keep track of how much I read. Oh yeah. 374 books, YTD. My annual reading goal was 400. I raised it this morning to 550. I'm still ahead by 25 books. :)

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 3:18:20 PM PDT
OMG HJ, 400 books in a year? LOL
I know Mayhem reads a lot too, but I don't know if it's that much. Holy Cow!

I set my goal at 100 last year and I exceeded it by a few, so this year I raised my reading goal to 150. I don't think I'm going to make it. I might though.

Currently my TBR is at around 300 plus 40 short story collections. I used to pick up a lot more freebies than I do now. I only pick ones that I am really interested in.
These days I may download 3-5 per week (freebies) and buy 1 or 2 more on top of that. Some weeks I download more-usually if a certain book I've been wanting drops in price or goes for free.
We won't even talk about my wish list right now. : )

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 3:22:21 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Really Char? 150? I don't think so! I know how much you read and you keep up with me, or exceed my reading...

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 3:59:21 PM PDT
Since I purchased my first Kindle 3 years ago, I haven't purchased any books in print; however since my TBR pile was more than 1000 - that's not saying much. I actually prefer the Kindle to reading print books because I can adjust the print (that is such a great feature). I have more that 2500 books in my Kindle (thanks to DailyCheapReads.com more than half of them were free). Since the books were taking over, I've been donating them and re-purchasing them on Kindle - I love the shelf space!

I usually read 4 -6 books per week; I probably purchase 3 -4 per week; unless I'm expecting new releases from my favorite authors the it will jump to 8 - 12 per week. On average that would be about 250. I don't set goals for reading, I'm retired and I have no intention of goal setting or planning anything ever. If you really want to know how much you spend, if you're using a Kindle, buy gift cards for yourself and keep track of the totals - I could probably pay a car note for what I've been spending. I console myself by saying its my only vice!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 4:59:33 PM PDT
I am a piker compared to HJ. I'm @ 104 right now. You and I are probably about even.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 5:46:26 AM PDT
Mayhem, I'm still bowled over by that 400 figure. Really, I am! : )

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 6:08:14 AM PDT
You guys are so much more disciplined then I am. I have about 450 unread books on my kindle right now. I only read about a 1.5 books a week. I guess I am more of a hoarder? Since Cphe turned me on to the discounted kindle books thread, I have continued to buy and broke my promise to myself to whittle down my TBR list. Darn it, I am SO weak. I guess a book addiction is better then other addictions? <- excuses, excuses.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 6:09:32 AM PDT
That's what I tell myself, G. At least it's not cocaine or alcohol, right?
LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 6:14:06 AM PDT
You too? Oh the way we justify things! LOL.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 6:16:13 AM PDT
Whatever works, G. Whatever works. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 7:00:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 7:01:49 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Of course, G! And if most of the stuff is free, what's the harm?

Besides that, they're all in one neat little package : )

Justify, always justify!

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 9:37:49 AM PDT
Momma and Charlene: Please keep enabling me...I love it :). LOL.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 10:35:45 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Are you a hoarder or a reader?"

Both..

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 10:36:15 AM PDT
I am a reader who hoards.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 10:45:50 AM PDT
A. Customer says:
I'm a binge reader...with a depleted hoard :(

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 10:49:04 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Twinny! That's not just sad...it's depressing. How can we help?

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 10:59:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 10:59:41 AM PDT
M. GREGORY says:
Both, but far more competent as a hoarder. Luckily there are no TV shows that will go inside my Kindle to investigate.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 11:06:29 AM PDT
Bkworm Bren says:
Both. If I stop and do the math (I try not to) I realize how truly hopeless my situation is! I pick up new freebies every day, even though I know inside I can't possibly read all the books I already have in this lifetime. There probably is a reality show here somewhere, but I don't want to be on it 'cause I HATE reality shows!

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 11:15:23 AM PDT
Karen Mead says:
Interestingly, I only hoard print books, not electronic books. When I download something for my Kindle I read it and finish it immediately, it's the physical books that sit around my apartment and hog all available space. I realize that doing it the other way around would be more efficient, but I can't seem to help myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 11:29:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 11:29:58 AM PDT
LOL M. Gregory! Good one!
I can see it now...

"Hello, my name is Chris Hansen, from NBC"...

Or better yet, they could do a setup like he does with those disgusting child molesters. He could lure us over to the house with a "Get this book before it's available" type scam and then, when we get there:
"Hi, I'm Chris Hansen. What are doing here? Don't you have enough books already?"
ROFL

Edited to add: This sounded much more funny in my head than it looks on the screen! : )

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 11:35:06 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
I 'm sure it did, Charlene. It would make us all look pathetic as we all went running over there looking just like child molesters waving our kindles.

Don't I have enough problems already?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Aug 20, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions