Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Kindle Serials

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2012 3:37:38 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
I thought it might be interesting to get some opinions other than mine about the Kindle serials.

I've bought two of them: "Hacker Mom" and "Oliver Twist".

I kind of like the idea of serials, not for any reason I can think of, but I think it seems like a good thing. But reading "Hacker Mom", I was caught up with the parts already released right away and quickly after another chapter came to me, which I finished.

I'm enjoying the book but I worry that in a month when I get the next chapter I'll have forgotten enough detail to enjoy the rest. I guess I'll find out.

The other, "Oliver Twist", I also began, tentatively, since I'm really reading something else at the moment. I usually like to read one book at a time but I'm curious about this, never having read a Dickens book and only seeing movies based on them.

A chapter of it comes once a week since it's already been written. "Hacker Mom" can't come that fast because the author needs more time, I suppose, to write the parts before they can send them.

I'm not sure I'll buy more serials unless I find that I do remember more between chapters than I expect to, or unless they're not a month apart. And that's kind of a shame.

I wonder how people deal with this. I wonder how the people who read Dicken's novels and presumably had to wait even longer than a month between episodes, dealt with this.

It seems like a short summary at the beginning of each chapter might be useful but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or on other aspects of reading serials?

Barry

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 5:56:35 AM PDT
When The Green Mile by Stephen King came out originally, it was in serial form-for a total of 6 books. I loved reading the story that way. I had no problem with forgetting where the story was. The only problem I had with it was having to wait (if I remember correctly, it was about 1-2 months) for the next installment.
Maybe I had no problem remembering because the story was so good? Or because the characters were so interesting? I'm not sure. All I remember for sure was that I loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:33:27 PM PDT
Jennifer Lee says:
Hi Barry, I'm the publisher of Hacker Mom. We worried about that too, the monthly spacing. It was a decision by Amazon. But On the Facebook page, facebook.com/hackermomseries, Austen has a "last time on Hacker Mom" note. https://www.facebook.com/notes/hacker-mom/previously-on-hacker-mom/365701126852767

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:09:35 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
Thanks. I've read the summary and it does help.

Barry

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:08:29 PM PDT
Scamp says:
I hate, hate, hate serials. The ones I've seen lately seem like they just want to get more money - more than if you just bought a whole book.

If you have something that deserves to be a book, then write a book, please.

JMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:45:04 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
I kind of like the idea of serials. And I think the price is certainly right. My guess is if this takes off they'll get more expensive but right now they're very cheap.

I'm not crazy about the way Amazon is implementing the serials. I'd like to see the installments come closer together or else have each new installment come with a summary of the story until now. I suspect the latter is the more practical solution since writers probably need a month to get it written. That's just my guess though.

So far the biggest problem I've seen with serials is the poor selection. I bought Hacker Mom, not expecting to like it, but just to take a look at a serial. Turns out it is pretty good so that's a win for me. But it was the only one at the time that seemed even possibly interesting. I've since also bought Oliver Twist in serial form.

The rest all seem like hard core chase stories or zombie books or other fantasies. Not the sort of thing I want to read.

I hope they'll get a litle more serious about this and give us some good titles as serials. I think I'll probably find that I enjoy them. At the moment, however, it's a bit frustrating.

Barry

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:45:57 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
It just occurred to me that the Xray feature would be a good place for the summaries.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:55:11 PM PDT
Scamp says:
Oooh. Price is "certainly right"?

$1.99 for 183 kb?

How long before you're in for $10 with no end in sight?

Somehow I would rather spend $14.99 for a full novel rather than piecemeal a bunch of downloads to ... who knows what?

I think serials had its day - way back, like, long time past.

In the digital age? Serials are over. What is the need for them? We're no longer waiting for a magazine to come out with the latest Dickens, are we?

Digital age. Serials? Nay, nay.

JMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:03:47 PM PDT
Miss M says:
LOL...so, no serials for you, Scamp?
Me neither actually, *but* just so you know, the official 'Amazon' serials are one price up front for the whole deal, not piece-meal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:05:12 PM PDT
Scamp says:
Now I feel silly. I didn't know it was one price.

**Scamp climbs down off soap box, red-faced and feeling absurd**

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:14:27 AM PST
Hey Barryem,
Can you elaborate a bit more about how Xray would be a good place for the summaries?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:20:41 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Don't be embarrassed.

That "one price" model is how it is supposed to work. That is not the same thing as SPAs putting out chapters and pieces, calling this approach the "Kindle Serial" but actually offering each fragment as separate books.

Be careful and read the descriptions before you go the route of the Kindle Serial.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:49:14 AM PST
B. Marks says:
The Xray feature could contain a summary of the story till now.

I've been sent the most recent chapter in "Hacker Mom" but when I began reading it I was already hazy on the previous chapters and the summary didn't really help so I think I've given up on serials. I liked the book so probably when I have the whole thing I'll re-read it. I doubt I'll buy anymore serials.

Barry
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions