Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

How to return a Kindle Prime borrowed book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2012 8:25:12 PM PST
Hey all...I'm trying out the Kindle Prime membership..and I borrowed one book so far but now want to borrow a different one. It won't let me as I still have the previous one but I can't figure out how to return it so I can borrow another one. Can anyone help out? Thank you.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 9:12:49 PM PST
H. Smith says:
go to your account on Amazon / Manage Kindle. The book will be in your list and it will be marked as "borrowed". You have the option on the right to remove the book from your kindle. This will return it to the owner. I have just returned a borrowed book.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 8:36:46 AM PST
H. Smith: Thank you.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:04:57 AM PST
A. says:
I'm not a Prime member, but the help page for this feature says that when you try to borrow another book, you should be offered the opportunity to return your previous book right there.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=koll_help?nodeId=200757120
"If you are ready to return a borrowed book, you can do so while also borrowing your next book. If you try to borrow a new book on your Kindle, you'll be prompted to return the book you are currently borrowing. Follow the onscreen instructions to return the book and borrow your new book."

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:36:00 AM PST
A. thanks...I was able to figure it out finally.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 6:30:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 6:31:27 PM PST
Gram says:
Thanks, I could not figure out how to return a book. Now how do I download a book onto my iPad 2?

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 6:21:28 AM PDT
David Lemmel says:
I still cannot download a book for free. Haven't figured out how to return one. I'm getting tired of wasting time trying. About pissed enough to get rid of my
Kendle and Kendle prime.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 8:43:35 AM PDT
@David: The only way to actually borrow a Prime free book is to go through your kindle (kindle apps won't work). You have to:
1) Go to "shop in kindle store"
2) Under the BROWSE heading, click on "see all categories"
3)When you click the above, a list will come up, scroll to the bottom and click on "Kindle owner's lending library"
4) A new screen pops up with the prime free books.
5) If you click on a book, and already have a book out, it will prompt you to either return the book and get your new choice, or do nothing. It will also tell you the approx. date when you can get another one.

It's actually a really nice perk. I am reading "Catching Fire" which I downloaded for free yesterday.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:33:55 PM PST
Hey, guys. I, too, have a problem. I've returned my book (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone), and what to read the 2nd book of the series. The problem is that when I got to borrow it on Prime, it says "monthly limit reached", and the "borrow for free" button isn't accessible. I have no idea what to do, and have been trying to solve this for the last couple hours. I have a Kindle Paperwhite, by the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:46:45 PM PST
Angela,
Did you borrow the first book in November? You know you can only borrow one book a month, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:49:09 PM PST
I see... Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:52:45 PM PST
A lot of the public library systems also have the Harry Potter books available now for digital checkout - you could check your local.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:47:26 PM PST
Gary says:
i borrowed a kindle prime book in late November and have returned it December 1 and still cannot borrow a new one. do i have to wait until late December to borrow a new one? please help. i have the kindle fire hd

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:07:09 AM PST
rhondale says:
This is the reason I will probably not renew my Amazon Prime after the year is up. If a book is any good I can read it in two days so the "borrow free" program is not much good to me. And Video streaming - no closed captioning available so that's out. Two-day shipping? Well sure, once it actually leaves the warehouse; whenever that might be. By the way - this is not a complaint; just stating the facts:)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:11:53 PM PST
Viv says:
Gary the monthly limit is reset at the beginning of each month regardless of when you previously borrowed a book. So your December limit has been used since you returned it on the first. If you had returned it on Nov 30th then you would have been able to borrow a new one in Dec.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:30:01 PM PST
Viv, that is incorrect. The loan counts in the month you borrowed it, not the month you returned it. Gary, if you're still unable to borrow another book for December, you will need to call Kindle CS to straighten it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 7:31:06 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 11, 2012 7:33:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 7:35:20 PM PST
Viv says:
Thanks for clarification. I guess cs gave me wrong info when i first bought my kindle

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 8:45:05 AM PST
Ive been trying to figure out how to return a book.. Will i be able to return it before the end of the month? If so do i just delete it from my kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 9:58:30 AM PST
Read the answer given in the second post of this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2013 6:24:59 AM PDT
imodify says:
Actually the two day shipping is two day shipping. I get it in two days from when I order it unless a Sunday is involved. I love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2013 6:46:42 AM PDT
Jo Duff says:
Thanks, was trying to download on my computer app...no way. Will try again on one of my two Kindles (once I get them charged.

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 3:48:07 PM PST
How do I return the movies I borrowed. I go to manage your kindle but it just show.e my books and not the movies

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 8:39:41 PM PST
Why don't you ask this question on the General Help Forum, instead of the Kindle BOOK forum, since your question has nothing at all to do with Kindle books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2014 3:07:56 PM PDT
I haven't been able to figure it out. Is there a simple way to process the return of a prime kindle
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Jan 21, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions