Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Book to movie translations that you hated

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2012 7:58:01 PM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
it doesn't have to be the entire movie, just parts that were changed that you felt uneeded. Mostly, for me, it was the Golden Compass movie they made, I was a fan of the book when i was younger and got excited when I found out it was being made. That didn't work out so well.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 8:46:03 PM PDT
I absolutely loved Stephen Kings book The Shining. Read it when I was young, scared me to death.
Then I saw the movie adaption. Ugh. As much as I like good old Jack N, I thought the movie was pretty bad.
The book grabbed me, held me. But the movie? Not so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:56:54 PM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
I think, if I remember correclty, that even Stephen King said he hated the movie version.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 9:06:45 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
All of them?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 9:12:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2012 9:16:53 PM PDT
I never heard that SK had said that, but it doesn't surprise me one bit.

I remember sitting in front of the TV, so anxious.
"Alright!! Be quiet everyone. The movie is starting!!! Yes!"
Uh, no. The movie wasn't even half over, I was slouched in my chair, wearing a pouty face, and wondering how the hell they could mess up so badly.
Oh, and having Olive Oyl as the wife didn't help matters. (Shelley Duvall)
What were they thinking?

I've heard that SK is writing a sequel to The Shining. Not sure how I feel about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:07:23 AM PDT
G. says:
One of my biggest book to movie disappointments was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. The effects were nice, but the movie kind of fell flat compared to the adventure and imagery that the book provided. Darn it, I can't really explain it, but it was so disappointing to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:59:14 AM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
I can agree to that, it started out promising but didn't live up. Also, when I watched it again I noticed the camera cuts away anytime anything violent happens in battle at the end, that kind of took me out of the film for some reason. what was your opinion on Prince Caspian? If you saw it. I thought had very little to do with the book. I don't think I even saw the newest one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 2:02:44 AM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_(film)#Response_by_Stephen_King

Here's the basics about it, I remember it being the reason that he helped remake the Shining into a miniseries. I didn't ever get a chance to catch it though. I had no idea he was writing a sequel. I also don't know how to feel about that...

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:03:03 AM PDT
The Lord of the Rings. Great book (series), among the best ever, crappy movies.
Crappy in the way the book was turned into a movie, NOT in the way the movie was made. Visuals and sound effects are great, storyline is one of the worst perversions of the original I've ever encountered.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 3:11:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012 3:12:38 AM PDT
lwd says:
Starship Troopers (Heinlein) was/is a fabulous novel, the movie was a horrible adaption. They also turned Puppet Masters into a movie that was seriously forgettable.

Jaws (the book) kept me out of the ocean for months, the only thing that still sticks in my mind about the movie is the sound effects (da dum, da dum...).

ET - In the book, ET was a serious scientist worthy of respect, in the movie he was a cute toy for children and treated like an idiot.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:53:58 AM PDT
Cynicalbit says:
I'll jump in on this one...
Anne Rice's The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, No. 3) If picking up my television and throwing it out the window would've been an option, I'd have done it about half-way through this. Queen of the Damned

To jump in on the SK conversation above... The Green Mile is one of the best adaptations ever. You could almost follow along with the book word for word.

On the other end of the spectrum. Some adaptations from books to TV that are in my opinion better, are; Dexter, Bones, and Rizzoli and Isles.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 5:13:55 AM PDT
totally disagree on the 2 TV shows you list...Bones is so much better in book form - so much of the TV show is focused on the flashy science and how it solves the crimes compared to Temperence in the books who is much more grounded and I don't want to beat her about the head like I do on the show - she is just so dense on the show

Ditto with Rizzoli and Isles - I hate Angie Harmon as Jane - she isn't Jane - Jane is supposed to be a 5'3" Irish firebrand and Angie Harmon just isn't that...one of the worst cases of mismatching that I have seen in a while...plus really - someone shooting people at a marathon and they manage to solve a case with no one knowing...really...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 9:26:22 AM PDT
Sue says:
Lil Devil,

You should see the movie with Steven Weber. It is so much better. I agree the one with Jack N is not very close to the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 9:30:11 AM PDT
Sue says:
The worst movie to book adaptation for me was Steven King's Bag of Bones. I waited so long for the movie to come out and they left so much out--and it was a two night show. I love the book and audio book (I have both) but the movie is really bad.

The other movie is It. Bad adaptation.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 9:45:31 AM PDT
The original Dune movie. AWFUL.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 10:02:31 AM PDT
Sue,

I am with you on both of those. The books were awesome, especially IT. But the movies were almost laughable. I thought the movie clown was kind of comical, certainly not terrifying. He was supposed to be evil, but I just didn't feel it.
I also thought the movie version of Cujo fell short... way short. It's been years but if I remember right, they totally changed the ending too.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:19:50 PM PDT
G. says:
OMG, horrible! Frank Herbert is one of my favorite Sci-fi authors, and I first saw this movie about ten years ago and it was frickin' pathetic. The re-make was pretty bad as well. Sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:21:06 PM PDT
The remake, as bad as it was, was light years ahead of the original, though. At least it stuck to the story for the most part.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:21:43 PM PDT
I have to agree about It. One of King's best books, IMO, and one of the worst movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:24:15 PM PDT
G. says:
@Matthew: Prince Caspian was even more horrific (IMHO). I think the problem with the movies was that the producer wanted to make it more religious based and a "wholesome" movie series; I think the action sequences suffered for it. I am a fairly religious person, but I don't want the fantasy movies I pay for to have such a limit on what they show. The battle scenes in the original books were pretty horrific, and I was sad to see that this was cut out of the movies. CS Lewis was less "in your face" then the producers/director of the movie series was. Rant off. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:25:22 PM PDT
G. says:
True, but OMG, the actors were HORRIBLE. The special FX were better in the second version. The "worms" in the first book made me laugh until my stomach hurt.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:28:00 PM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
Bag of Bones...I had almost completely blocked out that memory. I was so happy to see it was on, and what I ended up watching was a trainwreck. I don't even think I bothered to watch the second half as I was so horrified at the acting, the changes, just about everything. Which, sadly, brings up another memory of a Stephen King tv adaptation that left me feeling depressed, The Langoliers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:30:50 PM PDT
Sometimes I think the only director that should be allowed to make movies of Stephen King books is Frank Darabont.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 1:31:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012 1:31:33 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
Jumper the book was a lot better than Jumper the movie ...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:31:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012 1:32:13 PM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
Yeah, I agree. I gave the second movie a chance to see if the had fixed things from the first movie and I think at that point they stopped trying to make accurate translations. I wonder if they are even going to bother with the remaining four?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions