Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

citing the source

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2010 9:16:15 PM PST
B. Downing says:
Will there be page numbering in the future? It's needed for writing papers.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 12:40:01 AM PST
R. Grace says:
There are location numbers, visible at the bottom of the screen.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 1:58:39 AM PST
and those location numbers are more accurate than page numbers, unless you're citing baby picture books with 1-2 words per page.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 4:50:49 PM PST
Warbird says:
Well, locations don't really work, since they are unique to the Kindle edition, and most publishers put their digital editions on all available platforms, most especially the iBookstore, Sony, and Barnes & Noble. So the emerging trend is to cite the chapter, just as one doesn't ordinarily cite a page in a journal or periodical magazine. This is tough on the reader, to be sure. But I think that most scholarly authors will turn to the print edition in any case.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 1:22:58 AM PST
wrong, Daniel. According to your "logic" page numbers don't work either as they're inconsistent between editions.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 4:37:22 PM PST
The Grad says:
It would be nice to have page numbers that correspond to its print edition. Digital is convenient, but it doesn't help if you can't cite papers for non-digital users.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 5:01:16 PM PST
G. says:
There are sites that show you how to cite locations on e-book readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 5:41:52 PM PST
The K3 and newer Kindle models have page numbers included as long as the ebook edition is linked to a specific paper edition for that. To determine which paper edition is used look at the ebook page on Amazon. To see the page numbers on the Kindle screen click on Menu.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 6:32:14 PM PST
all the major citation methods have a format for ebooks - you just need to look up your respective one - for APA its basically, in the references author (date) title (Kindle Edition) for the in-text citation you use name and year, unless using a direct quote

if using a direct quote, then you can either use the page number if it is available (through the kindle version), or using the non-pagination guidelines (section 6.05 in APA 6th ed) - which says using paragraphs if visible, if not, cite the heading and then the paragraph number

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 11:29:35 AM PDT
I found this to be quite a problem when I formatted a book with footnotes. The KDP converter strips out all the page numbers, headers and footers. To get aroud the problem, I incorporated the footnotes into the main text inside parentheses. Page numbers could be added in the same way. These numbers would indictate the print page numbers and would appear randomly throughout the book according to the size of font.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 4:40:45 PM PDT
Shelagh, as a reader, I'm begging you not to put page number inline with the text. You really shouldn't do it with footnotes either. The generally accepted way to include footnotes is to put them all at the end of the chapter or book and put a hyperlinked superscript in the text. Bonus points if you also include a link to jump back to the correct place in the text.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 5:10:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 4:03:03 AM PDT
Okay, Anastasia, I promise that I will not put page numbers in line with the text. Footnotes replaced by endnotes is perfectly fine for academic papers. However, the book I formatted was non-fiction. I could have put the endnotes at the end of each chapter, but it would have resulted in the reader having to jump back and forth too often. I would add a link to the book so that you could look at the preview but, even though I am not the author, customers here would force me to remove the link. The book is not listed on my author page either, so I can't direct you there.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 7:16:51 AM PDT
Andie says:
You don't need page numbers to cite your sources. The newest guidelines (at least for APA) list formats for citing location numbers.

And, in any reference style, there are general guidelines. The point of the style isn't to make sure you put commas and periods in these specific places, but to ensure that a person can find your source should they choose to look it up. Follow the format to the best of your ability, but then use the general guidelines just to ensure that a person can find, as easily as possible, your source.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 8:42:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 8:43:13 PM PDT
The Grad says:
I do wish, for the book I'm using, that it did have page numbers like that. Although I know there are formats for citing ebooks, when a professor says they want "book page numbers" there's no way around it (even if they know the book forwards and backwards). Unfortunately, this particular professor didn't mention this until months after we were reading the book and were about to write the paper.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 3:58:52 AM PDT
Thanks for that information! On an earlier post, I promised not to use page numbers. You have made me reconsider. I am republishing a text book that will be available for undergraduates in April. The print book first came out in 1983 and has been through several publishers but is currently out of print. There will be a Kindle edition available, and I will find a way of adding the page numbers so that students/professors can refer to pages by number in both print and Kindle format.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 8:50:24 PM PDT
Does anyone know if Poverty and Famines by Amartya Sen includes page numbers? From its page on Amazon and the downloaded sample, it looks like no, but i can hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 5:59:44 PM PDT
Sires says:
You should probably go to the product page Poverty and Famines: An Essay on Entitlement and Deprivation and post the question under the discussions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:57:48 AM PST
Following your comment, I included page numbers in the text book. You can download a preview to see how I formatted the book:

An Introduction to Mechanics of Human Movement

It has taken several months to format the book, hence the delay in responding.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions