Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Formatting for reviews

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 5:33:48 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 29, 2012 4:39:05 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:56:07 AM PST
Cluny says:
For me, a review should not be a recap of the blurb / plot. A brief synopsis is acceptable, key word being brief. It irritates me when a "reviewer" does not more than regurgitate plot and say, "I loved this book " or "I did not like this book ". I want to know what reviewer did AND didn't like about the particular book and their visceral reaction. I am used to New York Timesesque book reviewers so outline reviews are not my cup of tea however I would rather see a well thought out outline review than one that says "I gave this book one star, there were cuss words in this book " and no discussion whatsoever on other things that reviewer found problematic or meritable in the particular book. A fair non partial book presents pros and cons.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:57:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:57:44 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:10:33 AM PST
Irish reader says:
My preferred review is single-spaced, pithy and to the point.

For example: 'A weird hodgepodge of Buddhism, Christianity and wish-fulfilment. Aren't all these things mutually contradictory?'

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:22:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:24:04 AM PST
Butterfly says:
Thanks Cluny! I always try to include what I like about the book, but sometimes I include bits of the book without spoiling it for other readers.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:26:39 AM PST
Butterfly says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:46:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:46:58 AM PST
MommaCat says:
I like shorter reviews. Short paragraphs with a space between the paragraphs. If it's long, I won't read it. I won't read it if it's a re-hash of the description. Say what you like or don't like about the writing. No spoilers of any kind. If you feel something is good or bad, say why. If you didn't finish the book, don't write a review, unless there was such a very good reason you must. I once wrote a review because the whole book wasn't published!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:50:25 AM PST
Butterfly says:
I'll look at some of your reviews to see what you mean about no spoilers of any kind. Sometimes I'll say something in the book that I like, perhaps that's a spoiler even though I didn't tell the grand finale. Hm...thanks for your feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:59:39 AM PST
MommaCat says:
I noticed on your comment. I'm glad that helped! That was a truly terrible book, but I laughed all the way through because it was so bad! Glad it was free.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:14:56 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
I won't read long reviews, reviews that start out with a three paragraph synopsis, or reviews that don't have paragraphs.

I don't mind a one prargraph synopsis of the setting and main plot point, such as 'this book is set in 1862 and is about a wounded Confederate spy attempting to evade a search party led by his brother, a Union cavalry Captain.' The reviewer shouldn't (IMHO) provide us with a book report on the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:17:02 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Old Rocker,

That's good cause I'm not a book report kind of gal...I like to be succinct. I'm in school so I have an aversion to writing "more" reports. LOL

Angelika

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:19:26 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Indeed. Who wants to do so much work when they don't have to!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:51:41 PM PST
Splinker says:
I like the ones with lots of stars

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:02:03 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Splinker, that must mean that you're a positive person if you're mostly looking at all the reviews with lots of stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:20:36 PM PST
Splinker says:
My glass is always half full. Sometimes it's half full if carp, but still.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:21:27 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Splinker - thanks for the laugh.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions