Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

What Book Do You Recommend More Than Any Other?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 183 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 24, 2012 8:44:33 AM PDT
When I read Flyboys: A True Story of Courage I was so awed by it that I told everyone I knew about it. I even said those words I cringe to hear: "You have to read it!"

It still remains my favorite non-fiction book. The story was riveting and the author was brilliant. His father was one of the men in the famous picture raising the flag at the battle of Iwo Jima. He wrote about that in Flags of Our Fathers. (I tell people about this one, too, though I refrain from using the dreaded sentence. ;)

Do you have a book that you find yourself recommending over and over to others?

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 9:09:37 AM PDT
Boy's Life, which I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about.
It is truly a magical book. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 9:18:08 AM PDT
Charlene~

I currently read a lot of Regency romance novels, classics, YA, non fiction and a smattering of other books. Do you think I'd like Boy's Life?

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 9:20:13 AM PDT
Grumpy downvoter can't stand discussions about something other than Splinker, Stargate or BBA's.

My recommendations change depending upon who I'm recommending to, although lately I've been pushing The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, Discount Armageddon: An InCryptid Novel by Seanan McGuire, and an old NF favorite by Jon Krakauer: Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith.

I'm also a big fan of LOTR, so Tolkien comes up alot with me. ;)

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 9:22:23 AM PDT
Karen Mead says:
Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe, although I honestly have no idea why. I barely even remember what happened in the book at this point, but somehow in my mind it still holds some sort of "Best Novel EVAH" distinction.

A Separate Peace by John Knowles is another contender, and in that case I know why I loved it but I find it very difficult to put into words.

Lastly, I feel everyone has an obligation to read Orwell's 1984, but I don't know if that counts as "recommending" it exactly, because it still terrifies me to this day and I don't wish that terror on anyone else lightly; it's just something you have to do.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 9:24:58 AM PDT
(I would answer this question, but people would think me weird--although it might be too late.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 9:27:52 AM PDT
A. Customer says:
I frequently recommend books by Kate Atkinson, especially her early books.

( Karen, is there any chance you could send me an email, address in my profile, as I would like to talk to you about something that might be of interest to you re your book - thanks)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 9:29:49 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Anna, I read Boy's Life and loved it. It's a coming of age story that leaves a lot of people teary-eyed. While it's not romance, I think you might like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 9:48:24 AM PDT
Anna, I truly believe that Boy's Life is for everyone. I do believe that you would enjoy it, yes. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 9:49:27 AM PDT
That Krakauer book was AWESOME, Mayhem.
I have added the John Green to my WL because I have read so many great things about it. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 9:50:52 AM PDT
I remember A Seperate Peace! Wow, I haven't seen that book mentioned, nor have I thought of it in years! As soon as I saw the title I remember how much I enjoyed it!

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 9:56:39 AM PDT
Hm, a good question. I recommend a lot of books to people, but recently I imagine I've probably recommended the books of Sharon Penman (e.g. Falls the Shadow: A Novel) more than any other. Most of my recommendations have been in the Historical Fiction forum.

I have a very good friend that I recommend things to all the time; but it's usually whatever I've just been reading (his tastes are almost identical to mine).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:12:23 AM PDT
I love Sharon Kay Penman. I shove her under people's noses all the time, like a boring broken record. Her Welsh trilogy contains among my favorite 2500 pages ever written. ;)

I've seen A Boy's Life recked so many times, I'm going to have to read it. Maybe next month.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:14:45 AM PDT
Mayhem, have you read The Brothers of Gwynedd: The Legend of the First True Prince of Wales? It covers the same period as "Falls the Shadow" and "The Reckoning" (although entirely from the Welsh side, so Simon de Montfort has a much smaller role. I think it's even better written than the Penman books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:18:40 AM PDT
Thanks for the rec. I've never read anything by Pargeter. I do love de Montfort, though. I thought that the book that focused on him was just wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:20:07 AM PDT
A. Customer says:
I've just started A boy's Life - I'm not hooked yet, but I usually enjoy Charlene's recs so I am waiting to be reeled in ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:24:42 AM PDT
I agree that 1984 is a book that people "should" read (though I hate to use that word. I'd also include Animal Farm.). There are some books that it's almost impossible to be a knowledgeable adult without having read.

That also sounds like a great idea for a new thread: What books do you feel are "must reads" for people to be . . . (not sure how to word it).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:29:51 AM PDT
Thanks, MommaCat and Charlene. I found the library a couple of blocks away has this book so I'll get it. I was surprised that it was published twenty years ago. I thought from the way you talked it was a recent book. That tells me a lot about how good it is.

When I read it I'll check out the discussion thread about it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:40:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 10:41:07 AM PDT
I hope that you enjoy it Twinny. Whether you do or don't, please pop in to the Boy's Life thread when you're done and tell us about it. : )

You too, Anna!
And thanks for trusting me enough to try it out. That means a lot to me. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 11:26:45 AM PDT
"Falls the Shadow" was the first of Penman's books that I read - I was staying in an apartment in Estapona, near Malaga, in the summer of 1992 - devoured the book in two evenings, if I recall correctly, and then immediately went on to "The Reckoning". It was that book which got me "into" de Montfort!

I do recommend the Pargeter books. She also wrote as Ellis Peters - the Cadfael mysteries, if you've ever read any of those.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 8:10:20 PM PDT
Brent Butler says:
Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber. While originally published as six modest sized books, they really make one somewhat epic sized book, and are absolutely fascinating.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 8:44:29 PM PDT
ScottBooks says:
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark and Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War for nonfiction.

Fiction recommendations depend on the audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 8:52:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 8:52:41 PM PDT
Cphe says:
@Marcus - I read some of Sharon Penman's work years ago. I wish that they were available for kindle.

I also wish that Pamela Belle's work was available as well, particularly The Lodestar

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 8:54:33 PM PDT
Charlene, I just bought this book on your recommendation and look forward to reading it. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 9:15:49 PM PDT
They are available for kindle in the US. Where are you located?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  183
Initial post:  Jul 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions