Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Why is TTS disabled on most Evelyn Waugh novels?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2013 11:32:07 PM PST
Except for the novel Vile Bodies, none of the Evelyn Waugh books on Kindle have TTS enabled. While visual reading is definitely preferable, it's good to have TTS to listen while doing routine chores. What is the reason for disabling TTS for Waugh?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:10:23 AM PST
King Al says:
The publisher thinks it will cut into sales of the audiobook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:42:01 AM PST
If that's so, then the price of one or the other ought to be less. One shouldn't have to elect either a book or an audio CD -- buying both is burdensome. In my view, the only justification for the high prices for e-books is that most also have TTS.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:34:01 AM PST
King Al says:
Many people are buying the ebooks, so the publisher really has no incentive to lower the prices unless sales start going down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:55:43 AM PST
" One shouldn't have to elect either a book or an audio CD."

Why not? If you want two products, you purchase 2 products. You don't get a free or discounted paperback when you buy a hard back. If you don't want to pay for both, choose the one that's more important for you and buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:22:47 AM PST
I'm with you Marie. I've gotten to the point that I won't usually buy an ebook with TTS disabled. I've also sent emails to the publishers (for all the good it has done).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:25:41 AM PST
Thank you for your input but, as I am sure you realize, your analogy doesn't fit the facts. Hardcover versus soft cover does not equate with print versus audio.

In any event, my point is that with other authors one has both print and TTS but not with Waugh. I bought Vile Bodies even though it's my least favorite Waugh because it has TTS. I bought Sword of Honour even though TTS was disabled because it was convenient at the time. Very likely, however, I will not buy any other Waugh on Kindle due to the absence of TTS. And I won't buy an audiobook either. If the Waugh had TTS, though, I would buy all of them -- and do so today.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:28:06 AM PST
I think you are right but I believe the publishers are making a mistake thinking that way. I don't want an audiobook. I like to read but sometimes I like the convenience of listening when I need my eyes for something else. I also believe that people who like and listen to audiobooks would not use TTS as a replacement. It's simply not as good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:46:33 PM PST
FoundQuilting, Good for you for emailing the publishers! I suspect they realize that for everyone who takes the time to write there are many others who agree.

Your statement about audio-books vs. TTS relating to the differential in quality is quite correct.

Also, aside from financial considerations, the great thing about TTS is that one can read, then listen a while, then go back to reading without having to deal with two entirely different media. Imagine the difficulty of laying down one's Kindle, then booting up a CD and finding where one left off reading. Very inconvenient.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:01:51 PM PST
Amazon has addressed that with Whispersync which basically keeps audiobooks synchronized with Kindle books. You still have to buy both though. Sometimes you can get the audiobook at a reduced price if you have the Kindle book.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 3:59:20 PM PST
audible has one Evelyn Waugh book that is set for whispersync - Brideshead Revisited - I haven't tried ws yet in general to know how well it works

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:26:36 PM PST
FoundQuilting, Thank you. I didn't know about coordinating via Whispersync. Still, I bet there's one thing that can't be done using Audible and Whispersync: sometimes I select a very large font, turn on TTS, prop up the Kindle nearby, and then actually read while TTS turns the pages. One can either leave the TTS loud enough to listen simultaneously or not. Great for actually reading while drinking coffee or eating lunch!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:35:40 PM PST
Deanna, Thank you for the information about WS and Brideshead. I might have been tempted to try that except that I already have Brideshead in print, audio CD, and the DVD of the movie. The CD set (narrated by Jeremy Irons) is marvelous and great to listen to while driving long distances.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 6:38:40 AM PST
Sires says:
You might want to look at immersion reading. Amazon offers some free classics (ebook and audible) so you can try it--

Here's the description:

"At this morning's Amazon Kindle event, CEO Jeff Bezos announced that the company is adding audiobooks with Whispersync for Voice to its Kindle Fire tablets, letting you keep a single bookmark across text and audio versions of the same book. In the same vein, Amazon is enabling a new feature called Immersion Reading, which it describes as a fusion of Kindle and audio versions of the same book - letting you follow along in print while you listen to a professional narrator read for you. Real-time highlighting of what's being spoken (pictured below) makes sure you never lose your place, so you don't have to worry about momentarily taking your eyes off the screen. Amazon says that so-called bimodal reading improves retention and understanding for pretty much everyone, so there's no reason to feel like reading along with a narrator makes you look like a second-grader."

Here's the Amazon page with the freebies:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=immersion+reading

I'm tempted to try this with a book that was originally published in Finland. The names are very difficult and I think it would be great to be able to associate the names with someone speaking them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 8:11:19 AM PST
Sires, Well I guess I lost that bet. Very interesting. Sort of an audio book with subtitles. I appreciate the information but for now I'm happy with my 3G, and anyway not all Waugh is available via Audible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 1:22:11 PM PST
Unfortunately Immersion Reading is only available on the Kindle Fires, not the Kindle ereaders. And you still have to purchase the audio version of the book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions