Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

kindle as a word processor

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2011 6:08:47 AM PDT
W. Neilson says:
Are there any plans to have word processing apps made for kindle? Can an external keyboard be plugged into kindle? I would like to use the e-ink screen, long battery life and lightweight features of kindle in order to write on the go, my eyes would love a break from the glare of my laptop screen. Is it possible at all now? Does Nook have this feature? First one to have these features will have me buy their product.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 11:56:49 AM PDT
The current Kindle will not support any kind of external device, and neither will the Nook, to my knowledge.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 6:25:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2011 6:30:06 AM PDT
Gpamelac says:
W Neilson

Thier is kindle notepad ap by 7 dragons for .99 but you have to use the kindle keypad to type
since thier NO is external keyboard.
Short memos,notes,lists the kindle notepad app is fine
as long as you have NO Key Skins that cover the keys.
They have all the keys labeled clearly so it easier to use the keypad
many say.

For typing longer documents you still need to use your laptop

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:09:08 AM PST
H. S. Maaria says:
I would buy the heck out of that thing. Being able to write and edit text with a no-glare, lightweight, portable E-ink screen would be amazing.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:51:20 AM PST
Sorry, but e-ink Kindles are just ereaders. It's great for readers. People who want to play games, surf the net, write great books, telephone their friends, and keep track of the calories consumed need to go somewhere else. Of course, there is a Kindle forum dealing with issues pertaining to the Kindle hardware. This is a book site. Quite different but maybe only readers understand the subtle distinction.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:50:16 PM PST
Suzilem says:
The Kindle Fire HD has bluetooth and there is a small keyboard (about the size of the keyboard for a tablet) which will pair with any "Android" device and works quite nicely with my Findle Fire HD. It is also quite inexpensive -- $26.20. It comes with a little stand so you can stand you Kindle upright.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:33:12 PM PST
Matthew Fish says:
I think it would just be cheaper and easier to get a netbook...or did they stop making those?

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 6:04:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2013 6:13:45 PM PDT
Jasmina says:
This has been somewhat of a holy grail for me, I have browsed the web, for 2 hours at a time every 4 months or so looking for this. I was this close to buying Pixel Qi's 3Qi display which can be installed into Lenova, Acer, and Samsung Netbooks, but it's limited to 10.1" and when i watched a video on it, it just didn't look like it had as much contrast as the kindle, enough so that i didn't pull the trigger. I'm worried that the E-Ink is losing momentum, there was an article released recently that claims to debunk the benefits, and it was a new brand of ridiculous. Of course there's not going to be a difference in reading speed, the breaking-news bloggers worded the findings in a way that belittled the "only category where they saw noticeable difference" EYE FATIGUE".

I actually placed a phone call into E-Ink today asking where I might buy a display, ANYTHING with a word processor. I'll update if I find anything useful.

Please, for the love of all things holy Amazon, make a notebook/kindle hybrid word processor with a 15" display. It's all I want to Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013 12:36:26 AM PDT
Robert Deng says:
I can't agree more, but am dismayed a lot to realize that manufacturers care only for mass market, and ours is just a very small niche. So I am search for a DIY solution.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013 5:49:23 AM PDT
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting forit, but if you want Amazon to hear you, you need to send tham feedback, not post on a public users group forum.

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 8:01:20 AM PDT
laurel diaz says:
I would Like to buy 15" screen and E ink word processor that resembles a laptop. I love to write outdoors as I view the planet earth. Looking out the window works fine as of now but I want more. I have three desktops, 1 laptop, 1 netbook, 1 keyboard kindle and 1 Kindle Fire HD. I am the guy that buys what want. I noticed that Sony is working on thin tablet: Sony A4 E Ink.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2014 7:07:43 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
This is the only tablet that I could find that is close to 15" that you can use outside to write with... and it's very eco-friendly.

BC 14.4" Tablet

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2014 8:59:02 AM PDT
:-)

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 9:23:47 AM PDT
Take a look at the Onyx Lynx T68. It may be what you're looking for but read the reviews first. It isn't perfect. It runs stock Android 4.0.4, and has access to Google Play apps. At least some of the word processing apps should run on it and you can use a Bluetooth keyboard with it.

It's available from Amazon for $199. Onyx BOOX T68 LYNX - 6.8" E Ink ULTRA HD touch screen e-book reader with Google Play, Built-in light & IVONA Text-To-Speech. Powered by Android 4

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2014 9:38:04 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
That is pretty neat looking..

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 9:40:58 PM PDT
My daughter bought an Asus Transformer with Windows 8 and MS Office Student for like $300 or $400.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jul 28, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions