Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

What does 'Kindle version' mean

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 7, 2011 5:47:33 PM PST
V. Robson says:
When I download a book, it says 'Kindle version'. Does that mean it's different than a regular version of the book?

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 6:18:11 PM PST
The Artist says:
It means it's formatted to work on the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 6:34:24 PM PST
It just means it's for the Kindle, instead of a paperback or hard cover book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 6:46:44 PM PST
V. Robson says:
Thank you Blaiz. My husband and I got our Kindles for Christmas and wondered if it meant a shorter version, especially since the 'Kindle singles' came out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 10:43:49 AM PDT
Thanks for asking this question, I was wondering the same thing. I'm new to all this, got my Kindle for my birthday. (today) took me forever to find these forums! Too bad there isn't a glossary, or is there?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:28:47 PM PST
Does it mean a shorter version of the book itself or exactly the same as the book? Could it be viewed online without the kindle when you purchase the kindle version?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:06:40 PM PST
cathyr says:
"Does it mean a shorter version of the book itself or exactly the same as the book?"

Typically, it's the same book. Simply formatted in Amazon's proprietary Kindle format.

"Could it be viewed online without the kindle when you purchase the kindle version?"

Yes, via a kindle app. For example, using the free kindle app, I can read a book purchased from Amazon, on my Mac laptop, my iPhone, and my kindle. I only need to purchase it once, and it is possible to have it open on all three at once.

The "cloud" will also synchronise (sync) the book to the same location on each piece of hardware (ie I can stop reading on my mac and start reading on my kindle and, as long as I have wifi access, the cloud will sync the book to the last page read).

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:52:08 PM PST
Susan Solin says:
For some reason (guesses why have been given all over these forums) kindle books are faster to read so you may finish a kindle book faster than you finish a DTB (dead tree book - what paper books whether hard cover or paperback have been named on these forums). This does not mean the book is a shorter version. Kindle versions are the 'whole book' just formatted for the e-reader. Welcome to the wonderful world of kindle!

Posted on May 7, 2013 11:12:48 AM PDT
I have noticed that many kindle versions have misprints - just incorrect punctuation or sentences split over two lines when they would fit on one.
I thought it was simply that proof reading hadn't been so expertly carried out. It doesn't detract from the pleasure of the book though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2013 12:03:10 PM PDT
I would be curious to know if the paper version of the book contained the same misprint. I don't buy both versions so I don't have anything to compare. My guess is that we are more likely to notice the errors on the Kindle than in the paperback. I'm not talking about unedited works here. I've seen errors in books from mainstream publishers. Since the Kindle version and the paper version are likely sourced from the same digital file, it would seem to me that both would contain the same errors.

Posted on May 10, 2013 6:16:03 AM PDT
If you're curious about a specific book you can look at the product description for the Kindle Edition and the hardback edition but, other than formatting differences, they're the same. I suspect some graphics are omitted on some ebooks since they wouldn't show up well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Feb 7, 2011
Latest post:  May 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions