Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Klub NaNo 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 220 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2012 4:43:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 4:45:27 PM PDT
This thread is a transfer from the Kindle Forum. This is our third year doing this, but we wanted to do it here this time because the Kindle Forum is just too busy for this kind of thing ever since the Fire and other new models were released. If you're not interested, just overlook us and we'll keep quietly to ourselves. :)

So what's this about for those who haven't seen Klub NaNo in the other forum? NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month and it takes place every November. It's an event in which hundreds of thousands of people all around the world attempt to write a 50K word novel in the 30 days of November.

Serious writers participate, including those already published and those hoping to be published. But the vast majority of participants are people like me, who have various other reasons to do it. My first time was in 2009 and I took it on as a personal challenge, just to see if I could do it. I did! And the whole thing can be kinda addicting, so I'm still doing it.

If you want to find out more info, go to nanowrimo.org and click on Help in the upper right corner. If after doing that you have questions, feel free to ask here and we'll be happy to answer.

It's not too late to sign up! It starts in only four days, but plenty of people wing it their first time. I sure did!

There is a small group of us from the Kindle Forum who have been helping cheer each other on for the last couple years, and we welcome anyone who wants to just chat, or write along with us.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:15:52 PM PDT
Splinker says:
I'm in

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 5:14:45 AM PDT
TravelingGal says:
Hi Robin. I'm still planning on participating although November is going to be a busy month for me. I'm also still wrestling between my original idea where I had all of the world-building figured out and my dream inspiration. The dream inspiration definitely caught my interest so I'm desperately trying to flesh out some background. I know I want it to be "Western" but I'm not sure if that means true Western, steampunk Western, or scifi Western (a la Serenity). :-) Are you all ready to go?

I would encourage anyone who has thought about writing to give NaNo a try - it's tons of fun and a great way to make significant progress on a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 6:05:01 AM PDT
You could always do a "true" Western, on another planet, with some interesting steam technology thrown in. ;)

Um...I've had to finally admit that "ready to go" is just not part of my reality where NaNo is concerned. This is my fifth NaNo event, and I've only ever felt ready to start one of them. And frankly, I'm not even sure I was ready to start that one either. It's just that I did so well that year I may be looking back through rose-colored glasses. So just yesterday I decided I need to learn to embrace my unreadiness, and act like I can hardly wait for the clock to tick over to midnight on the 1st. Hehe.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:10:13 AM PDT
Jewels says:
Who knew you had so many options with Western? lol

I need to take a page from your book, Robin. I am resisting my unreadiness. I'm sitting here with these vague characters and no plot. My office is messy. I'm not 100% sure what music to listen to other than it has to be jazz. No title. What else? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 6:16:45 PM PDT
TravelingGal says:
Hey, I have even thought of a couple more - dystopian Western and alternate history Western. I know I want that simpler low tech atmosphere for most of the story but I have a few specific plot points that I'm not sure are realistic for a "true" Western. Oh well, I may just start writing and see where it goes. :-)

We just need to join Robin and embrace our unreadiness. Can you come up with at least one idea/scene to start with?

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 6:19:13 PM PDT
i did Nano a few years ago, but then my muse decided to take a va-cay and never came back...silly woman! so i'm not sure if i am going to do it this year or not - I have seen some open calls for publication for a few publishers I read books of, so if I do, I might use one of those for a prompt

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 6:20:04 PM PDT
Scamp says:
I tried and gave up last year. I was trying to write a serious thriller and it kept going off into spoofdom.

I'm thinking about trying again, and if the same thing happens just shift gears and go with it. (The mind is a curious thing, is it not?? :P)

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 9:13:33 PM PDT
Yes, Jewels, embrace unreadiness!

Heya Scamp and Deanna.

On the NaNo site there's a thread with tons of prompts if you're looking for that kind of thing. They can be a good way to get the old mental gears turning when the Muse (fickle woman that she is) has fled.

You're right, Scamp. Just go with it. I did something entirely silly last year and had a lot of fun with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 4:02:53 AM PDT
Jewels says:
TG, I do have one scene in my head and another random idea floating around unconnected so I'm opening with the scene and seeing what happens. In the past I've had characters take over, whether I thought they needed to or not, so I'm hoping this small group gives me a hand. :)

Hi Deanna, my muse has been pretty much MIA for the past few months and it's pretty frustrating. Hopefully a good prompt will intice yours to come out of hiding.

Scamp, I was caught off guard the first time my story went a different direction than I intended. Now, I pretty much assume that at some point something is going to happen and I just go with it. Maybe you were meant to be writing spoofie stuff. :)

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 8:37:13 AM PDT
I am back for the third time. I did NaNo for the first time in 2010, and did finish. All my good intentions left me and I never did look at what I wrote after November 30. I have been working on short stories and editing for a few local authors. This year I have some outlining done and I do have a much better idea where I intend to go with this. I am trying yWriter software this time as well, in the hope that if I organize the notes and pictures I will have an easier time of it. Good luck Robin, Jewels, Scamp. Traveling and Splinker.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 10:29:23 AM PDT
CLB77 says:
Hey everyone! I made it here. :) November is a horrible producivity month for me, but every year I try NaNo and my goal is to best my previous year (which has not ever been very good). My goal this year is to exceed 10k words! I'm doing a bit of a FauxNo, since I'll be working on adding words to book I started a while ago. Actually, it's the same one I worked on last year during Nano, but I'd put it aside for many months.

On the NaNo site, my username is the same as here, if anyone wants to add a writing buddy.

Jewels, there's no such thing as unprepared! There's just less perpared than other times. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 10:41:38 AM PDT
Jewels says:
Yay, you found us! :)

I added you as a writing buddy. For anyone who wants a writing buddy, I'm open- my username is JewelsGraz on the NaNo site.

To quote a good friend just a few days ago, I am "anal and worry too much". My response was that he really knows how to sweet talk a girl!!!

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 12:17:40 PM PDT
Welcome to the Klub, Read for Life! I think writing software is a HUGE help.

I got Liquid Story Binder for half off after I did my first NaNo, and figured for $25 it was worth giving it a try. It was overwhelming at first and I didn't do anything with it. But when NaNo was approaching for my second year I started methodically using parts of it as I needed them. So I was somewhat comfortable with it by the time I started writing in November. Now I can't imagine writing without it because of how organized it keeps me. Having all my files there in one place, organized how I want them, accessed via a quick mouse click saves so much time.

Glad you found us again, CLB! You're not a faux wrimo, you're a NaNo Rebel! For those not familiar with it, there are a lot of people who participate in NaNo as rebels. It means you don't do the actual NaNo, which is to write at least 50K words of a new novel from scratch. Rebels do things like write short story collections, add words to an existing project, rewrite a previous novel, write memoirs, and so on. There's a whole section in the NaNo forum dedicated specifically to Rebels.

And speaking of memoirs, about an hour ago I got hit with a whole new idea, which is to write a memoir. Very strange for me, because I almost never read them, and have never had any interest in writing one. But I was thinking about how personal stories from specific time periods or with certain events are so much more informative and powerful than news reports and history texts. I was thinking about it in relation to Hurricane Sandy.

My brain jumped tracks, and I started thinking about how much I've already forgotten from my first years living in Seattle and what it was like coming out in the gay community then. And the next thing I knew I was thinking about all the chapters I could write in a memoir about that period.

So now that's taking up all my mental energy over what I'm supposed to be thinking about writing. Yeesh! I think if I make a bunch of notes maybe I can put the idea aside for another time. If not, I'm going to end up making a last minute swerve from my planned novel to being a Rebel this year!

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 1:27:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 1:29:48 PM PDT
TravelingGal says:
Hey CLB - glad you found us. Aren't you in the Northeast? Did you get hit by Sandy? My daughter is in NYC, East Village, and their power went out around 9 last night.

Hi Read for Life, I think we're writing buddies on NaNo. Let us know how the software goes. Personally, I find that plain old Word actually works really well for writing - but then I write most happily when it's just me, my imagination, and a couple of pages of notes on a legal pad. What I would like is a consistent way to organize and store information for ideas for future books. I have to confess that my first novel attempt was actually written in WordPerfect 3.0.

Robin, a memoir? That's neat. I don't think I have an interesting enough life to write a memoir about but a lot of the interest probably comes from the writing. It sounds like it would be fun to write and it's not like you haven't already done the "real" NaNo several times. I'm almost definitely going with my alternate idea; I just wish I could think of a title. (And decide on the right Western.)

Jewels, I'm betting that the characters do take over. And interesting locations this year where you can take a field trip? Although it's hard to beat a trip to the cemetery!

Hi Deanna, Scamp, and Splinker!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 8:04:42 PM PDT
CLB77 says:
Yes, we're up here in the Northeast, but my part of MA was mostly spared this time. There's some damage, but nothing like elsewhere. In a minor natural disaster miracle, we only lost power at my house for a matter of hours. (During two weather events last year, we were out for a week each time!) Feeling very fortunate to be safe and dry and have my forest still standing today. Hope your daughter is in a safe place! I can't even look at pictures of the Jersey Shore. My mom lives just oustide Atlantic City (I lived there briefly when I was young). She happened to be on vacation in inland Virgina, so they've just stayed there.

Speaking of writing software, I switched over to Scrivener earlier this year. I liked LSB. It's solid, affordable, and does all the stuff. For me, Scrivener's been like upgrading from a decent sedan to a luxury car. I _love_ it (and I don't even use 1/4 of the features). I do still use Word for editing once that time comes, but I can't imagine drafting without the writing software anymore.

@Robin- memoir is a great idea! I mean, the story's already there. (It's okay to fictionalize too :))

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:37:17 AM PDT
Glad the storm didn't get you too hard, CLB. Though I shudder to think what your mom will go back to.

TG, I don't have an interesting enough life for a memoir either! Which is why the thought had never occurred to me before. So the focus wouldn't be on me so much as what was going on at the time, organizations, places, things like that. A historical record using my experiences to talk about those things. It's so easy to forget what things were really like, and people born later only have the accounts of people who lived through it to get a real feeling for what things were like. Like reading accounts of women who were pioneers on the prairie.

Luckily for me writing down all my thoughts and ideas about it was enough to put it aside for now, and I'm back to thinking about my paranormal fantasy.

I've been dithering about POV with this one, even toying with the idea of using omniscient. So I was reading some websites about POV to see if anything helped me decide. Usually I have a gut instinct and go with it, but this time it's kind of a muddle. I'm still not sure, I guess I'll just start writing and see what works.

But one thing did come to me clearly while I was doing that. My first sentence. Now I just hope I can remember it by the time I start writing tomorrow night!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 3:58:43 AM PDT
Jewels says:
Robin, still working on embracing my unreadiness. It's not working but hey, it's not like I have much choice at this point! I like your memoir idea. I had toyed with a similar idea- writing a book of essays on the different challenges we are facing with our middle child. It's something I definitely want to write someday but right now it might be a bit too fresh since we're living it. Have you gotten any farther in your planning of the paranormal fantasy?

TG, no interesting locations. :( I was even going to go back to the cemetery just to see if it jump started anything but I never got back. This year's story focuses on a girl who is an artist and a boy who plays piano in the school jazz band so more of it will take place in normal teen places- the band room, local hangout, places like that. Although I have to admit a high school band room can be pretty darn interesting- band kids are a different breed. lol I have my opening scene, first sentence and I'm letting the characters hopefully take over from there.

I started using LSB last year and although I've done nothing in prep with it this year, I will probably use it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:25:31 AM PDT
"Have you gotten any farther in your planning of the paranormal fantasy?"

I like to think I have. But in reality, not really.

Curse you, internet-of-infinite-distractions.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:34:13 AM PDT
Jewels says:
LOL Thanks to CLB (sorry!) I have been addicted to Pinterest. Although I do have a board for this year's book, it's the smallest board..... I've also spent endless hours trying to get my iPhone updated and iTunes working all so I can create a playlist for writing....see, everything has been done in the name of writing- except for shopping on ebay.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:44:44 AM PDT
"see, everything has been done in the name of writing"

Haha! It's amazing how much that is true, and yet how little has been accomplished.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 5:24:00 AM PDT
melkoberlein says:
Hi all! I am planning on NaNo-ing even though Sandy was hard set against me. I live just north of Philly. It was awful. There are so many without power still. However, I notified my electric company that NaNoWriMo was starting and it was imperative that I have electricity and internet to start. Voilla! Power. I can't wait to get started, even though I'm continuing a story I started over the summer and put aside for a while. Good luck fellow NaNos!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:36:37 AM PDT
lol!! hope everything works out!

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 11:02:09 AM PDT
Jewels says:
Hi melkoberlein, I have to say I'm impressed with how quickly you got your power restored only on the mention of NaNo starting. lol I personally am not ready to start so I won't be up at midnight writing. Tomorrow will come quickly enough! Good luck!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 11:48:59 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Just keep writing every day. Don't worry about anything else until December.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  220
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions